Owe money to Sky will they cut me off and if so can I switch to another company ie talk talk or VM or do i have to wait 30 days?....

Found 21st Apr 2017
Don't want to lose internet/like sky but its £100 more than the offer from VM and VM offers more channels and fast broadband
Help please !!
Community Updates
AskSkyNintendo Switch
10 Comments
They would stop your service first and then cut you off if payment still remains outstanding, it would then cost you a reconnection fee if that happens. Also, if you are still in contract there would be a held to term penalty charge for the remainder of the contract. Normally you won't be able to switch while there is a debt owing as Sky will put a block on the transfer.

Edited by: "robertr" 22nd Apr 2017
You could request VM to commence service at any time regardless of your Sky service status as VM do not use the same cabling to provide internet and other services. However, if you are contracted to Sky for a fixed term and you choose not to pay, Sky will likely suspend your service until your account is brought up to date, and if the account is not brought up to date Sky will then persue you for the full balance of the remaining fixed term plus its reasonable collection costs. This is the concept of a contract that both parties have agreed. There is a reasonable possibility that if you do not settle your Sky obligations the matter may escalate to legal activity that may ultimately involve further costs and with a real possibility of detrimentally affecting your credit standing.
t call sky and offer what you can at the moment and ask them to cut service down to minimum until late contract ends explain you want to go to vm àsap as you get the same package for much cheaper. As the other person said said sky will pursue you for money owing until the end of contract. Just ask them to reduce services and costs for maybe 6 months for example because of personal or financial reasons. Speak to a manager and they are usually helpful and reduce costs if you send them link to see vm deal

If you're going to VM you'll have to cancel with Sky and give them 30 days notice.
Any other provider you can ask them to take over the line, that will cancel the line and broadband with Sky, you'll go a few minutes at most without internet, if you have TV or mobile with Sky, they'll need cancelled by you, again with 30 days notice.

robertr

Normally you won't be able to switch while there is a debt owing as Sky … Normally you won't be able to switch while there is a debt owing as Sky will put a block on the transfer.

Incorrect, no company can block you from leaving, no matter what the reason or how much you owe them.
This is all very helpful, thank you, I have no reason to not pay the debt, I told Sky I will pay in full at the end of the month its over £200 but they wanted the money on the 15th, the very unhelpful man from sky just said pay it or we will cut you off, might phone Sky and ask to speak to a manager, explain I am offered a better deal with VM and I am paying what I owe at the end of the month, don't really want to leave Sky but VM are offering a package and 2 V6 boxes and Bt sport for £100 a month cheaper !!!
PKRichie

If you're going to VM you'll have to cancel with Sky and give them 30 … If you're going to VM you'll have to cancel with Sky and give them 30 days notice.Any other provider you can ask them to take over the line, that will cancel the line and broadband with Sky, you'll go a few minutes at most without internet, if you have TV or mobile with Sky, they'll need cancelled by you, again with 30 days notice.Incorrect, no company can block you from leaving, no matter what the reason or how much you owe them.

I was trying to make things simple for the OP but perhaps I could have worded it better. I agree that no service provider can *block* the transfer but Sky *may* not release the telephone number if it is a number range which is owned by them.

If you have refused to pay your bills and it gets to the stage of disconnection then trying to do a working line takeover with another (non-Virgin) provider would fail as there would be a pending cease on the line at their suppliers end. In that case it would then just be the takeover of a stopped line, but this can only be done once the cease completes, alternatively a 'new' line to the property, both of which will have associated costs and further timescales for completion.

It is far easier to pay all outstanding debt before you consider moving to a different provider as it can create many problems, if not settled the debt will go to a debt collection agency and it will also have an impact on your credit rating and each new service provider will also do a credit check before supplying service.

Edited by: "robertr" 22nd Apr 2017
its very complicated....Sky want payment on the 24th I don't get money till 30th...
bingoqueen1010

This is all very helpful, thank you, I have no reason to not pay the … This is all very helpful, thank you, I have no reason to not pay the debt, I told Sky I will pay in full at the end of the month its over £200 but they wanted the money on the 15th, the very unhelpful man from sky just said pay it or we will cut you off, might phone Sky and ask to speak to a manager, explain I am offered a better deal with VM and I am paying what I owe at the end of the month, don't really want to leave Sky but VM are offering a package and 2 V6 boxes and Bt sport for £100 a month cheaper !!!

As long as you are out of contract with Sky they should be able to offer you a better deal, you need to ask for their retentions department rather than a manager, however if you are still in contract and cancel then don't forget you will have the penalty charge for the remainder of the contract added to your final invoice.
robertr

I was trying to make things simple for the OP but perhaps I could have … I was trying to make things simple for the OP but perhaps I could have worded it better. I agree that no service provider can *block* the transfer but Sky *may* not release the telephone number if it is a number range which is owned by them.

They can't legally stop that either, Sky nor any other provider own any numbers, they're assigned to the exchange and available to any provider that connects to it, ownership belongs to Openreach.
You can still port them out to the VM network or vise versa.
I rang Sky I need to give notice 14 days broadband and telephone and 21 days for T.V am swopping to VM now , I don't have to pay exit fees as my contract is up just pay for the above and that's all, VM have a refer a friend so I get £50 off and then tried to change me cancellation date, they kept it the same and let me off with another £14.99, Sky also offered price cuts too, worth giving them a call and say you want to cancel, so get VM in next few days.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants