Groups

"Own" makes versus brands

Anyone know of any insider information regarding who makes supermarket "own" label goods.

I know Thorntons make M & S fruit rock sweets for example.

Think would be a good gauge as to the quality of the products rather than having to 'buy to try'.

8 Comments

most asda and tesco biscuits are made by mcvities.

the asda jaffa cakes you get are actually proper jaffa cakes just sold in an asda home brand box. there is no difference.

i have a family who's been working for mcvities for 20 years tell me this, so im going with what she says

Original Poster

Thanks fitzyboy this is exactally the information I was after - why shell out for the brand when you can get the same item for cheaper?!?! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

LaoTzu;1541379

Check out this huge thread/list over on … Check out this huge thread/list over on MSEhttp://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=23002

Thanks LaoTzu, wow............. what a thread!!!! :w00t:

suze;1541386

Thanks LaoTzu, wow............. what a thread!!!! :w00t:

first reply to the OP on that thread kinda proves my post correct.

seems like my wee gran does talk some sense after all :-D:-D

fitzybhoy;1541366

most asda and tesco biscuits are made by mcvities.the asda jaffa cakes … most asda and tesco biscuits are made by mcvities.the asda jaffa cakes you get are actually proper jaffa cakes just sold in an asda home brand box. there is no difference.i have a family who's been working for mcvities for 20 years tell me this, so im going with what she says

wow gonna buy 50 boxes of asda jaffas now mmmmmmmmmm!
    good info

muffin247;1541492

wow gonna buy 50 boxes of asda jaffas now mmmmmmmmmm!good info

this was around a year ago, things may have changed. but back then, we started buying asda/tesco ones into our house and noticed no difference.

saved ourselves about 40p a box aswell if i remember correctly.

LaoTzu;1541379

Check out this huge thread/list over on … Check out this huge thread/list over on MSEhttp://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=23002

Yes, nice one. :thumbsup:
    Just a thought, as you're being so helpful - could you summarise the best ones here?:p:-D
    rep added
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …85143
      2. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226
      3. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      4. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043

See more discussions