OwnersDirect.co.uk and HomeAway UK Ltd

Found 1st Nov 2017
Anyone have any experience of this website? We are looking at booking a villa in Spain for April next year and have found a really nice villa which we would like to stay in on the OwnersDirect.co.uk website.

We have to pay just over half the cost upfront and the remaining cost in March 2018. We can pay this on the website using a credit card.

Am I safe to make the deposit payment? Is there anything that I should be checking before making the payment?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

Supermod

I've used HomeAway once before and never had any problems. It was quite a while ago though!

Original Poster

magicjay19861 h, 53 m ago

I've used HomeAway once before and never had any problems. It was quite a …I've used HomeAway once before and never had any problems. It was quite a while ago though!

do you remember if you had to pay a damage deposit? our payment invoice from the site did not mention any damage deposit on it but the site information talks about holding on to the damage deposit for a few weeks at the end of our stay.

used them both (are they the same company anyway?)

damage deposits have worked in different ways with different owners. Sometimes paid after an inspection as we leave, sometimes paid by xfr later.

TBH I'd work on the basis that you need to trust the property owner as I doubt that the sites will be much help if there is a problem.

Original Poster

mas999 m ago

used them both (are they the same company anyway?)damage deposits have …used them both (are they the same company anyway?)damage deposits have worked in different ways with different owners. Sometimes paid after an inspection as we leave, sometimes paid by xfr later. TBH I'd work on the basis that you need to trust the property owner as I doubt that the sites will be much help if there is a problem.

thanks. yes they are the same company but operate under two different websites. the payment is via credit card so we will have the credit card protection i guess if we are the victim of fraud.

i don't see any damage deposit mentioned on the payment schedule required so i don't know if this is going to be requested by the owner afterwards but the payment schedule is not refundable if we cancel the booking so my husband has emailed the owner to ask about the damage deposit. we haven't heard anything back so we will have to wait as he may not need a deposit if this is not quoted on the payment schedule?

Owners direct are just a middle man and I doubt most villa owners would accept credit card payment anyway.

It was in their terms and conditions they don't accept any liability and they don't enter into any contract with the consumer.

thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml

They were on watchdog last year and have subsequently introduced a maximum guarantee against fraud of £700

help.ownersdirect.co.uk/art…-OD
Edited by: "chocci" 2nd Nov 2017

Original Poster

chocci3 h, 15 m ago

Owners direct are just a middle man and I doubt most villa owners would …Owners direct are just a middle man and I doubt most villa owners would accept credit card payment anyway. It was in their terms and conditions they don't accept any liability and they don't enter into any contract with the consumer.http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2695530/Fraudsters-stole-hen-cash-Owners-Direct-property-rental.htmlThey were on watchdog last year and have subsequently introduced a maximum guarantee against fraud of £700https://help.ownersdirect.co.uk/articles/What-is-the-Basic-Rental-Guarantee-OD

it appear that you can pay the website as there is a pay now button on our quote and some blurb about guarantee from HomeAway UK Ltd. we haven't had any response from the owner to our question about damage deposit so this is worrying as my husband sent the enquiry yesterday afternoon!

mutley149 m ago

it appear that you can pay the website as there is a pay now button on our …it appear that you can pay the website as there is a pay now button on our quote and some blurb about guarantee from HomeAway UK Ltd. we haven't had any response from the owner to our question about damage deposit so this is worrying as my husband sent the enquiry yesterday afternoon!

Patience is a virtue. Owners dont sit on their computers waiting for a booking query,

you only get a £700 guarantee and I would imagine that would be very difficult to get.

Original Poster

chocci27 m ago

Patience is a virtue. Owners dont sit on their computers waiting for a …Patience is a virtue. Owners dont sit on their computers waiting for a booking query, you only get a £700 guarantee and I would imagine that would be very difficult to get.

yes, true. but he replied within an hour yesterday when we asked other questions until we asked about the damage deposit then nothing....... i will chase him this afternoon if we have had no reply. if i put a property on advert, i would check my emails at least once a day and certainly each morning and each evening.

we can't hang around if he is not serious as we need to book somewhere this week. if he doesnt answer questions at the booking stage, what will he be like once we have paid the money?

it is trust and we will have to take a chance so i need to make sure there is some way to get in touch with him before we make the payment.

chocci5 h, 20 m ago

you only get a £700 guarantee and I would imagine that would be very …you only get a £700 guarantee and I would imagine that would be very difficult to get.

So he'll only be covered for 1 night? That's scandalous!

Original Poster

Hooray....booked at last. OwnersDirect website is really bad as they took 5 hours to pass on the owner's message to us! Then we could not pay online and had to try several times which then got my husband's credit card blocked as the bank detected fraudulent activity with so many requests for payment from the same website!

I really can not recommend this website as it is so dreadful and made things so difficult for people to contact the owner and make a booking.

mutley126 m ago

Hooray....booked at last. OwnersDirect website is really bad as they …Hooray....booked at last. OwnersDirect website is really bad as they took 5 hours to pass on the owner's message to us! Then we could not pay online and had to try several times which then got my husband's credit card blocked as the bank detected fraudulent activity with so many requests for payment from the same website!I really can not recommend this website as it is so dreadful and made things so difficult for people to contact the owner and make a booking.

So how did you pay?

Original Poster

chocci13 h, 24 m ago

So how did you pay?

The card fraud department unblocked my husband’s card and told him to wait for 2 minutes before trying again. It finally worked! It took us nearly 3 hours to make the payment as we had to call the card provider, ownersdirect payment helpline and the owner had to issue a new payment request.

I was so stressed with the whole process, I ate a whole box of biscuits to calm myself down. Lol.

Now i just hope we dont turn up in spain and find that there is no villa there. We would really be stuffed
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions