Oxfam Deputy resigns over sex claims

Found 12th Feb
I saw this article on the BBC news website * article* and it's all pretty glum reading, however the bit that struck me was

...alleged to have used prostitutes at a villa rented forhim byOxfam in the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake.

The bit about using prostitutes and the ensuing cover-up is pretty bad, but since when have Oxfam been hiring villas for their staff.

Makes you think about what your donations are actually spent on doesn't it.
Community Updates
Misc
27 Comments
Its only prossies, the "bullying, harassment and staff intimidation" is worse, ill wait for more details thanks.

BTW where did you expect staff to stay?
33248537-DWlv4.jpg
catbeans11 m ago

Its only prossies, the "bullying, harassment and staff intimidation" is …Its only prossies, the "bullying, harassment and staff intimidation" is worse, ill wait for more details thanks.BTW where did you expect staff to stay?

Prostitution in Haiti is illegal
Does make you wonder whether charities will be the latest virtuous institutions to be exposed as attracting a 'type'. Is the seal broken?
inexcusable behaviour, but lets face it 99.9% of people who work for Oxfam do very good work and shouldnt be tarnished by a few idiots. They certainly need tighter management to prevent this type of behaviour but has anyone worked for a large organization where a small minority of staff probably broke the rules?

Context: Oxfam GB employs 5,300 people worldwide and works with more than 22,000 volunteers.
Edited by: "davewave" 12th Feb
If the chief exec knew about it, he needs to go.
If the chief exec didn't know about it, he needs to go.
davewave1 h, 9 m ago

inexcusable behaviour, but lets face it 99.9% of people who work for Oxfam …inexcusable behaviour, but lets face it 99.9% of people who work for Oxfam do very good work and shouldnt be tarnished by a few idiots. They certainly need tighter management to prevent this type of behaviour but has anyone worked for a large organization where a small minority of staff probably broke the rules?Context: Oxfam GB employs 5,300 people worldwide and works with more than 22,000 volunteers.

How many charities have you volunteered for lately?
MSK.29 m ago

How many charities have you volunteered for lately?

I've worked for only large organisations...which was the point I made, charities and companies are often large organisations btw.
Edited by: "davewave" 12th Feb
Saturn2 h, 14 m ago

Does make you wonder whether charities will be the latest virtuous …Does make you wonder whether charities will be the latest virtuous institutions to be exposed as attracting a 'type'. Is the seal broken?

No, it was reported this morning the case has been thrown out.

tmz.com/201…ed/
Rubisco5 m ago

No, it was reported this morning the case has been thrown …No, it was reported this morning the case has been thrown out.http://www.tmz.com/2018/02/12/seal-sexual-battery-case-rejected/

Unfortunately I think the Oxfam guys were interested in breaking a different type of seal in Chad and Haiti.
OllieSt3 h, 20 m ago

Prostitution in Haiti is illegal

So.
Haitian police wouldn't care unless it's gay, then you will probably be found beat to death.
davewave1 h, 59 m ago

I've worked for only large organisations...which was the point I made, …I've worked for only large organisations...which was the point I made, charities and companies are often large organisations btw.

So you work for a charity?
MSK.33 m ago

So you work for a charity?

No. Is there a reason you push?
davewave1 h, 17 m ago

No. Is there a reason you push?

I was wondering what your experience with charities was, since you made the statement they are full of good people.

Then you seemed to imply that you didn't volunteer, you worked for one. At which point I became more curious.

Any reason you are being cryptic?
deleted265520
MSK.5 m ago

I was wondering what your experience with charities was, since you made …I was wondering what your experience with charities was, since you made the statement they are full of good people.Then you seemed to imply that you didn't volunteer, you worked for one. At which point I became more curious.Any reason you are being cryptic?

Crpytic is his middle name.
Name me one large organisation that doesn't have some employees that break various laws?

"He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her."

And the Catholic church certainly isn't in a position to do any casting except for Chrome-casting some dodgy vidoes maybe!

OP = "but since when have Oxfam been hiring villas for their staff."

Villa is a generic term and doesn't automatically imply a luxury villa especially in some countries.
Agharta6 m ago

Villa is a generic term and doesn't automatically imply a luxury villa …Villa is a generic term and doesn't automatically imply a luxury villa especially in some countries.

This.
You all need to wake up and look how your money is being spend, many of the large charities waste loads of money, have very expensive offices and pay exorbitant wages to senior staff, there is back biting and rivalry just like in business,

Yes I have personal experience of this as staff and a volunteer
MSK.7 h, 47 m ago

I was wondering what your experience with charities was, since you made …I was wondering what your experience with charities was, since you made the statement they are full of good people.Then you seemed to imply that you didn't volunteer, you worked for one. At which point I became more curious.Any reason you are being cryptic?

I have been clear and not cryptic...I have worked for large companies...the evidence of the good work outweighs a tiny minority of bad eggs...can you consider the good work Oxfam has done and relate that to the type of people who work for them.
davewave6 h, 46 m ago

I have been clear and not cryptic...I have worked for large …I have been clear and not cryptic...I have worked for large companies...the evidence of the good work outweighs a tiny minority of bad eggs...can you consider the good work Oxfam has done and relate that to the type of people who work for them.

*sigh* that isn't and doesn't relate to the question I asked. But I've lost all interest to honest. It's always hard work attempting to talk to you.
MSK.11 m ago

*sigh* that isn't and doesn't relate to the question I asked. But I've …*sigh* that isn't and doesn't relate to the question I asked. But I've lost all interest to honest. It's always hard work attempting to talk to you.

yeah speaking to you isn't much fun either

I have never worked for a charity but believe they do more good than bad (incl. OXFAM)

In the context of large organizations, such as OXFAM or big companies, you will always find some mugs who break the rules - enjoy your day!
Edited by: "davewave" 13th Feb
davewave7 m ago

yeah speaking to you isn't much fun eitherI have never worked for a …yeah speaking to you isn't much fun eitherI have never worked for a charity but believe they do more good than bad (incl. OXFAM) In the context of large organizations, such as OXFAM or big companies, you will always find some mugs who break the rules - enjoy your day!

24 hours later, something resembling an answer. I'll leave you to your walls of copy pasted text in the other thread. Enjoy yours.
MSK.5 m ago

24 hours later, something resembling an answer. I'll leave you to your …24 hours later, something resembling an answer. I'll leave you to your walls of copy pasted text in the other thread. Enjoy yours.

Some people need things explaining more slowly MSK, glad you understood finally.
davewave3 m ago

Some people need things explaining more slowly MSK, glad you understood …Some people need things explaining more slowly MSK, glad you understood finally.

I'm touched you're trying to extend this conversation with me further than its natural end, but I'm sure we will cross paths again.

Good day Dave.
MSK.1 m ago

I'm touched you're trying to extend this conversation with me further than …I'm touched you're trying to extend this conversation with me further than its natural end, but I'm sure we will cross paths again. Good day Dave.

well, I feel we made a connection
davewave12th Feb

inexcusable behaviour, but lets face it 99.9% of people who work for Oxfam …inexcusable behaviour, but lets face it 99.9% of people who work for Oxfam do very good work and shouldnt be tarnished by a few idiots. They certainly need tighter management to prevent this type of behaviour but has anyone worked for a large organization where a small minority of staff probably broke the rules?Context: Oxfam GB employs 5,300 people worldwide and works with more than 22,000 volunteers.

Agharta13th Feb

Name me one large organisation that doesn't have some employees that break …Name me one large organisation that doesn't have some employees that break various laws?"He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her."And the Catholic church certainly isn't in a position to do any casting except for Chrome-casting some dodgy vidoes maybe!OP = "but since when have Oxfam been hiring villas for their staff."Villa is a generic term and doesn't automatically imply a luxury villa especially in some countries.

The core issue is not there are bad, idiotic, law-breaking employees in a large group. This is elementary universal truth.

We are educated by the news facts better than the above starting position.

The core issue is knowing that there are these men, even with the British management and governance, operational supervision, and quality processes, and even with British men and women colleagues around at parties at night, for example, who knew prostitution was not acceptable, even with 99.9% who were educated about prostitution, sexual impropriety, child abuse, women abuse etc., that the leadership and supervisors did not do more than what they had done in their responsibility for human rights. It is particular sad when the British is so well educated in safeguarding and protection as well as human rights in the world, and we have executives and supervisors turning a blind eye, compromising this skill and work experience. Where were the whistleblowers from the 99.9% others at an earlier time?
miles13613th Feb

You all need to wake up and look how your money is being spend, many of …You all need to wake up and look how your money is being spend, many of the large charities waste loads of money, have very expensive offices and pay exorbitant wages to senior staff, there is back biting and rivalry just like in business,Yes I have personal experience of this as staff and a volunteer

I think the argument I've heard is that charities need to hire the same level of people as profit making organisations in order to operate efficiently and professionally.
In which case I can understand why they would pay market rates for their management teams.

I think sometimes people get confused when they come across the concept of a charity that has salaried personnel (rather than volunteers doing executive and board level work for free).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants