Oyster Card Issues (New to them!)

Found 11th Apr 2015
So, today, I went from
Orpington to Mortlake (with a transfer @ London Waterloo/East) - Return journey.

I put a deposit down for an Oyster Card at Orpington train station (£5) and topped the Oyster card up with £10.

At London Waterloo on the out-bound journey, I went to the tube & added (linked) my 16-25 railcard.
With a railcard, the journey (inc. return) via Oyster should come to a total of £4.90. Instead I was billed £7.40 (as if I had no railcard for the entire trip there and back).

I just went to register the card online to see what's happening - and it says my card number is already registered and to enter my security answer. But I only collected the card from the train station today.

I've never used Oyster before but what is happening? I would go into a station and ask but it's a 15 minute car journey, and they only want to give 1 or 2 word responses, unfortunately and even asking for an Oyster card was huffed & puffed at.

Any ideas guys?
Community Updates
AskCard
29 Comments
Best bet is to give them a call, even if you went to a station they can't make any adjustments. When you call them they can tell you exactly what's on your oyster card, discount wise, and adjust it and issue a refund for you
londonlad19

Best bet is to give them a call, even if you went to a station they can't … Best bet is to give them a call, even if you went to a station they can't make any adjustments. When you call them they can tell you exactly what's on your oyster card, discount wise, and adjust it and issue a refund for you

OK I will give them a call in the morning I didn't want to be like i'm asking a stupid question
I appreciate the railcard discount could not be taken into effect at Orpington (because train stations cannot link railcards) but I would have expected it to work for the rest of the journey.
londonlad19

Best bet is to give them a call, even if you went to a station they can't … Best bet is to give them a call, even if you went to a station they can't make any adjustments. When you call them they can tell you exactly what's on your oyster card, discount wise, and adjust it and issue a refund for you

They couldn't tell me because the card is already registered and the train station "sold" (/deposit) me an Oyster Card that was already registered. Have had to send proof of ID & address before they will discuss the account.

Edited by: "Firefly1" 12th Apr 2015
Don't think you can get a 16-25 railcard discount on a noraml adult Oystercard.
hotdealseeker

Don't think you can get a 16-25 railcard discount on a noraml adult … Don't think you can get a 16-25 railcard discount on a noraml adult Oystercard.

You can on off-peak fares.
hotdealseeker

Don't think you can get a 16-25 railcard discount on a noraml adult … Don't think you can get a 16-25 railcard discount on a noraml adult Oystercard.

The ticket office at the Tube were more than happy to accept it. Why you have to go on the Tube to get it linked, I do not understand.
OP, phone TfL tomorrow. You don't need to go to a train station to find out what's happening, and if you have been charged wrong, they can make a refund into your bank account. HTH.
Transformers

OP, phone TfL tomorrow. You don't need to go to a train station to find … OP, phone TfL tomorrow. You don't need to go to a train station to find out what's happening, and if you have been charged wrong, they can make a refund into your bank account. HTH.

Sorry I didn't make it clear - post 3 is what happened when I rang them already tonight.
Firefly1

Sorry I didn't make it clear - post 3 is what happened when I rang them … Sorry I didn't make it clear - post 3 is what happened when I rang them already tonight.

You've sent your ID to them, so just wait, and then phone them again afterwards, and you will get your refund over the phone. It's weird that you got an old Oyster card though.
Firefly1

The ticket office at the Tube were more than happy to accept it. Why you … The ticket office at the Tube were more than happy to accept it. Why you have to go on the Tube to get it linked, I do not understand.

You don't usually. Any railcard is linked as soon as they apply it to your account. But maybe because you're a new user, you have to do that.
Transformers

You don't usually. Any railcard is linked as soon as they apply it to … You don't usually. Any railcard is linked as soon as they apply it to your account. But maybe because you're a new user, you have to do that.

Once it is linked, it is linked forever (until your railcard expires).
But to get it linked, to an oyster card, it has to be done at a tube station. Not a train station. Very odd.

Presuming you buy the railcard here: http://www.railcard.co.uk/
Maybe if you buy it via TFL (I didn't know/don't think you can) - only then would it be linked from issue.
Firefly1

Once it is linked, it is linked forever (until your railcard expires).But … Once it is linked, it is linked forever (until your railcard expires).But to get it linked, to an oyster card, it has to be done at a tube station. Not a train station. Very odd.

Yes, because it's TfL who is giving the discount. They own the Tube network, not National Rail. National Rail only give the discount on their trains.
Transformers

Yes, because it's TfL who is giving the discount. They own the Tube … Yes, because it's TfL who is giving the discount. They own the Tube network, not National Rail. National Rail only give the discount on their trains.

But I can use my Oyster Card on South Eastern Services (I live at the furthest away station from Central London, that accepts the oyster card- it's counted as a "London Train Zone" but not by postal address). So the Oyster Card works on their services (The address of the station is not a borough of London). They will sell me an Oyster Card as well. And the railcard (combined with Oyster) works on these overground services too. Yet they can't link the railcard to the oyster card.

(And the name of the station isn't Orpington, if you were to assume that from the opening post <-- that is Greater London)

Firefly1

But I can use my Oyster Card on South Eastern Services (I live at the … But I can use my Oyster Card on South Eastern Services (I live at the furthest away station from Central London, that accepts the oyster card- it's counted as a "London Train Zone" but not by postal address). So the Oyster Card works on their services (The address of the station is not a borough of London). They will sell me an Oyster Card as well. And the railcard (combined with Oyster) works on these overground services too. Yet they can't link the railcard to the oyster card.(And the name of the station isn't Orpington, if you were to assume that from the opening post <-- that is Greater London)

They should do it, but they don't. I was just saying why I think so.
Transformers

They should do it, but they don't. I was just saying why I think so.

True, I imagine you're right
Firstly the discount is only on off peak times so maybe no discount, but you defiantly shouldn't of been sold a registered card.
Could I have another bit of help please?

National Rail fare website says:
Knockholt to Beckenham Junction return via Oyster (with railcard) is £2.80 return (on a Friday: leave at 5.30PM, return around 9pm)

An Oyster card fare website calculator, for the same journey is £4.10.
(www.oystercalculator.co.uk) all with the same details & railcard as above.

I have to change train at Orpington - and if I were to enter my details from Orpington and not Knockholt, the national rail website does not even list the Oyster price (therefore presuming it is not the cheapest).... Even though Knockholt is a longer journey to Beckenham Junction - and you must get off at Orpington anyway to change train.

Why is nothing logical???

Edited by: "Firefly1" 13th Apr 2015
Bump
So after sending proof of ID & address, they have just got back to me to demand to know either

a) Give them my regular route that I use Oyster on
or
b) Tell them the last 3 journeys I have made on it.

Well I've only used it on 1 day, because the whole point is that it is new. Or is meant to be. *facepalm*

I have replied with the pay-as-you-go receipt number that I have when I topped the card up.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 15th Apr 2015
Firefly1

Could I have another bit of help please?National Rail fare website … Could I have another bit of help please?National Rail fare website says:Knockholt to Beckenham Junction return via Oyster (with railcard) is £2.80 return (on a Friday: leave at 5.30PM, return around 9pm)An Oyster card fare website calculator, for the same journey is £4.10.(www.oystercalculator.co.uk) all with the same details & railcard as above.I have to change train at Orpington - and if I were to enter my details from Orpington and not Knockholt, the national rail website does not even list the Oyster price (therefore presuming it is not the cheapest).... Even though Knockholt is a longer journey to Beckenham Junction - and you must get off at Orpington anyway to change train.Why is nothing logical???

You're lucky I saw this OP. Use this website and click on Railcard instead of Adult, use this for the price you will pay.

tfl.gov.uk/far…der
Firefly1

So after sending proof of ID & address, they have just got back to me to … So after sending proof of ID & address, they have just got back to me to demand to know eithera) Give them my regular route that I use Oyster onorb) Tell them the last 3 journeys I have made on it.Well I've only used it on 1 day, because the whole point is that it is new. Or is meant to be. *facepalm*I have replied with the pay-as-you-go receipt number that I have when I topped the card up.

You need to speak to them on the phone, and explain you were charged the wrong price, then you will get a refund into your bank account. I don't know why it's taking you so long.
Transformers

You need to speak to them on the phone, and explain you were charged the … You need to speak to them on the phone, and explain you were charged the wrong price, then you will get a refund into your bank account. I don't know why it's taking you so long.

I have spoken to them on the phone, as I said.
They will not speak to me about my oyster card - let alone a refund.
I have been told to deal with the issue via email only.

Thanks for the link by the way

Firefly1

I have spoken to them on the phone, as I said.They will not speak to me … I have spoken to them on the phone, as I said.They will not speak to me about my oyster card - let alone a refund.I have been told to deal with the issue via email only.Thanks for the link by the way

By e-mail? What a joke. Make a complaint Firefly, you're just wasting time otherwise. Refunds should be done in a few minutes over the phone, not all this crap that you have to do.
Transformers

By e-mail? What a joke. Make a complaint Firefly, you're just wasting … By e-mail? What a joke. Make a complaint Firefly, you're just wasting time otherwise. Refunds should be done in a few minutes over the phone, not all this crap that you have to do.

They say because they cannot be certain that the Oyster card belongs to me - because it is already registered online. Hence they refuse to talk to me over the phone.
But they gave me the oyster card on Sunday !?! How's that my problem
Anyway i've scanned my passport & a bank statement (and then they asked for that extra info as well)... Still not sure how that verifies the oyster card is now mine !?! Or why that then gives me ownership.

"All emails will be responded to within 10 working days" .... You can see this is why it is dragging

Firefly1

They say because they cannot be certain that the Oyster card belongs to … They say because they cannot be certain that the Oyster card belongs to me - because it is already registered online. Hence they refuse to talk to me over the phone.But they gave me the oyster card on Sunday !?! How's that my problem :(Anyway i've scanned my passport & a bank statement (and then they asked for that extra info as well)... Still not sure how that verifies the oyster card is now mine !?! Or why that then gives me ownership. "All emails will be responded to within 10 working days" .... You can see this is why it is dragging

If you sent in your ID, then what else do they want? oO
Transformers

If you sent in your ID, then what else do they want? oO

They now want to know what is my regular route with the Oyster card. To presumably verify it is my Oyster card.

They don't quite seem to grasp that they gave it to me... on Sunday..... And if it had a previous owner and is registered, they shouldn't be handing out these cards.
Oystercard is a useless system, it's not clear at a lot of stations were you touch in/out - like Wimbledon when you take the
Tram, if you don't touch out at the platform you get fined because the system can't work out if you used the underground or the tram!
Funny that it doesn't know where you touched in from, lets just fine the user as they were probably dishonest...
Firefly1

They now want to know what is my regular route with the Oyster card. To … They now want to know what is my regular route with the Oyster card. To presumably verify it is my Oyster card.They don't quite seem to grasp that they gave it to me... on Sunday..... And if it had a previous owner and is registered, they shouldn't be handing out these cards.

/Facepalm.
Transformers

/Facepalm.

Right! I have access to my account

So on a Saturday - therefore all off-peak:

Balance: £10
Touch-in Orpington: Charge: £5.20
Touch-out Waterloo East: Refund: £1.50
RAILCARD ADDED HERE
Touch-in Waterloo: Charge: £0.00
Touch-out Mortlake: Charge: £0.00

Cost of journey: £3.70
Balance remaining: £6.30

Touch-in Mortlake: Charge £3.45
Touch-out Waterloo: Refund £1.85
Touuch-in Waterloo East: Charge: £1.85
Touch-out Knockholt: Refund £1.00

Cost of this journey: £2.45
Balance remaining £3.85

I was told that there is no error, but I just don't understand how these figures are calculated - or how the two journeys are different prices for the same routes.

I looked on the National Rail website for next Saturday for the same journey, and the quoted Oyster price is "From £4.90"

EDIT:
Writing out myself, it seems that the first fare has not had 1/3 discounted.
Isn't the total cost of a journey calculated at the end of the journey. And therefore if a railcard was added, it should take that into effect? Or if they were to allow linking railcards online, I wouldn't have to have incurred this expense.
It's only a little amount, but it's the principle

At least it now makes more sense.

Edited by: "Firefly1" 19th Apr 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants