Groups

oyster card or contactless?

which is better and cheaper??

How does contactless work. Whats the benefits or is it just the same , touch out touch in thing..

12 Comments

Contactless. Works same as Oyster but don't have to pay £5 deposit for a card or leave a balance on their remaining.

I claimed back all my oyster cards and got over £20 in deposits and remaining balance. Contactless much simpler, just remember to scan out with the same card.

Original Poster

what happens if you dont tap out?

sleepingwonder

what happens if you dont tap out?

If you don't tap out, you could be charged a maximum fare of up to £7.20 for an incomplete journey.

If you have an overdraft and go below zero then you won't be able to use contactless. Otherwise it's the same price, I used Android pay, contactless and oyster, and the simplest and best for me is oyster

Get the bus, and don't need to tap out and cheaper

I changed from Oyster to contactless. One less card to carry and no deposit or money sitting in account. Only real impact is lots of entries on my bank statement. Not an issue though. I can see some people not being keen on waving their bank card around in busy stations though which is something to think about.

Contactless, for all the above reasons.

We visited London last year, the week the contactless system started, and it was so much easier and cheaper, our travels around London cost us about a 1/3rd of non-Oyster prices, without the hassle of having to get and load an Oyster card. On the first day, just one of the trips we made (DLR), was priced at £12.40 each, but our total bill for the day was £6.60 each; no more worries of getting on the wrong train, or off at the wrong stop, and getting a massive fine!!

geeadamg

Contactless. Works same as Oyster but don't have to pay £5 deposit for a … Contactless. Works same as Oyster but don't have to pay £5 deposit for a card or leave a balance on their remaining.I claimed back all my oyster cards and got over £20 in deposits and remaining balance. Contactless much simpler, just remember to scan out with the same card.

You don't have to leave a balance on an Oyster.

Gentle_Giant

Contactless, for all the above reasons.We visited London last year, the … Contactless, for all the above reasons.We visited London last year, the week the contactless system started, and it was so much easier and cheaper, our travels around London cost us about a 1/3rd of non-Oyster prices, without the hassle of having to get and load an Oyster card. On the first day, just one of the trips we made (DLR), was priced at £12.40 each, but our total bill for the day was £6.60 each; no more worries of getting on the wrong train, or off at the wrong stop, and getting a massive fine!!

That's the Daily cap. It applies to Oyster too

Contactless is cheaper it's a topic that gets aired regularly on Londonist.com even TfL have written articles on it.
    Edited by: "Tenex" 9th Feb

Exactly the same unless you have a railcard which can be paired to your Oyster card but can't with your bank card for obvious reasons
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…11
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767288
      3. word association Game73944492
      4. What would be HELL to you?1517

See more discussions