Posted 21st Oct 2021
Hi everyone,

Was looking for some advice. I unfortunately smashed my Huawei P30 Pro screen and it's looking pretty battered. Official replacement is approximately GBP 200 so I'm thinking of getting a new phone. Main things for me are Google Play, camera and battery.

All reviews point to the S21 Ultra but I've seen mixed reviews and posts where people have gone back to P30 Pro.

My question, what's the best upgrade, no upper budget? Alternatively, sell my current P30 for peanuts and buy another second hand?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    jonnny121/10/2021 19:04

I loved my p20pro then had a p30pro for about six months before I too …I loved my p20pro then had a p30pro for about six months before I too smashed the screen.I've now got an S20 5G and am very happy with it. I'm of the opinion that we've reached the point where the upgrades don't really add much to what I use so doesn't bother me having the latest phone.

Agreed, the P20 pro was a massive leap but going from that to a S21 ultra was underwhelming despite the three years of advancement.
  2. Avatar
    If there's no upper budget, what about the new pixel 6 / 6 pro? Sell the free headphones
  3. Avatar
    I am in the same boat, I managed to drop my P30 4 times in the one day! Sadly the screen now flickers and makes it unusable, if I could pick up another for a reasonable price I'd buy the same again. I can't see much of an upgrade moving to a more up to date phone...
  4. Avatar
    I loved my p20pro then had a p30pro for about six months before I too smashed the screen.
    I've now got an S20 5G and am very happy with it.
    I'm of the opinion that we've reached the point where the upgrades don't really add much to what I use so doesn't bother me having the latest phone.
  5. Avatar
    Maybe a daft suggestion/scenario but if you were to spend £200 on a brand new phone I don't think you'd get one that's better than the p30 pro apart from the obvious bigger battery/newer os with ongoing updates, definitely not a better camera.

So would spending £200 to get yours repaired be a viable option ? I've no idea, but if stripping it down to replace the screen gives access to the battery then presumably that can be replaced at the same time.
  6. Avatar
    Smashed screens not covered by the warranty?
  7. Avatar
    Replace the screen, seriously.

Right now I am looking for a new phone and I really regret that I didn't got P30 Pro when they were still available to buy normally.
  8. Avatar
    Author
    sm969021/10/2021 18:15

If there's no upper budget, what about the new pixel 6 / 6 pro? Sell the …If there's no upper budget, what about the new pixel 6 / 6 pro? Sell the free headphones

Only the pro seems to be even comparable with the p30. Interested to see reviews once available though as there's a lot of hype.
  9. Avatar
    Author
    Mr.Plow21/10/2021 19:48

Maybe a daft suggestion/scenario but if you were to spend £200 on a brand …Maybe a daft suggestion/scenario but if you were to spend £200 on a brand new phone I don't think you'd get one that's better than the p30 pro apart from the obvious bigger battery/newer os with ongoing updates, definitely not a better camera.So would spending £200 to get yours repaired be a viable option ? I've no idea, but if stripping it down to replace the screen gives access to the battery then presumably that can be replaced at the same time.

That's a good question. Seems silly to pay 200 to repair the screen though. Seen second hand ones on Facebook etc for not much more. Sell the smashed one for cheap and put towards a replacement.
  10. Avatar
    Author
    Admast7921/10/2021 20:39

Replace the screen, seriously.Right now I am looking for a new phone and I …Replace the screen, seriously.Right now I am looking for a new phone and I really regret that I didn't got P30 Pro when they were still available to buy normally.

Check Facebook, you'll find them used for less than 300
Top Merchants