Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Package help

Posted 29th Jul
I ordered a monitor from a big company. The package said it would take a month to arrive , towards the end of this month I got an email saying package delayed for a further month and they then tried to take payment on my PayPal. But with me seeing that it was delayed for a month, I spent the funds elsewhere.

“Your payment of £153.00 GBP to ‘big computer company’ has been reversed
because your account did not have sufficient funds.

We suggest you contact ‘big computer company’ directly to ensure you can
complete your purchase.”

I then bought another monitor and forgot about the order as I assumed it was now cancelled. It arrived on the original date and as far as I can tell they think I’ve paid for it. It’s been 5 business days and they haven’t contacted me or tried to take payment, I’m unsure what to do as I would ideally get it for free but I wondered what they could do about that.

Let me know what you think.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
It is not unsolicited goods and it is not a grey area.

You've ordered an item and the payment has bounced. You owe them.
21 Comments
Contact the supplier directly & explain that you haven't paid for the item.
IamMT29/07/2020 15:49

Contact the supplier directly & explain that you haven't paid for the …Contact the supplier directly & explain that you haven't paid for the item.

I did
IamMT29/07/2020 15:49

Contact the supplier directly & explain that you haven't paid for the …Contact the supplier directly & explain that you haven't paid for the item.

I rang them and asked them had they received payment and they couldn’t confirm anything. The invoice I have looks like it’s paid also.
hmn199029/07/2020 15:52

I didI rang them and asked them had they received payment and they …I didI rang them and asked them had they received payment and they couldn’t confirm anything. The invoice I have looks like it’s paid also.

"I rang them and asked them had they received payment" is not quite the same as "explain that you haven't paid for the item"
IamMT29/07/2020 15:55

"I rang them and asked them had they received payment" is not quite the …"I rang them and asked them had they received payment" is not quite the same as "explain that you haven't paid for the item"

Because is there any chance I could get this for free? The error is theirs.
Wait for a bit, call them again and explain once more. Then if they say they want payment send it back as it's not yours but they may try and take payment again but will obviously fail if you don't have funds. Give them two weeks to pick it up once they clarify payment is required, if they don't pick it up then consider it yours. iirc its unsolicited goods as no payment was taken but could be a grey area
Edited by: "caverncity" 29th Jul
hmn199029/07/2020 15:56

No it's your error you had insufficient funds because when you paid the funds where available and grabbed by the company ready for when it was dispatched later, obviously when they dispatched it the funds would have been taken but you spent it. They will realise very soon.
It is not unsolicited goods and it is not a grey area.

You've ordered an item and the payment has bounced. You owe them.
The my delayed the item, and then they cancelled it. The order was supposed to arrive next month. I’ll call them now.
hmn199029/07/2020 15:56

You entered into a contract willingly but haven't kept your promise to pay. Nor did you cancel the order explicitly.
Paypal may want you to pay up assuming that they have actaully paid the co.
bozo00729/07/2020 16:08

You entered into a contract willingly but haven't kept your promise to …You entered into a contract willingly but haven't kept your promise to pay. Nor did you cancel the order explicitly.

They sent me a delay and cancelled email.
Peejay123429/07/2020 16:09

Paypal may want you to pay up assuming that they have actaully paid the co.

This is my main fear.
hmn199029/07/2020 16:06

The my delayed the item, and then they cancelled it. The order was …The my delayed the item, and then they cancelled it. The order was supposed to arrive next month. I’ll call them now.

Did they actually cancel it, do you have an email to say cancelled if so then it is unsolicited goods. However it's still not yours so give them a chance to pick it up
I'm surprised PayPal didn't pay them and you owe PayPal which makes me think it was only grabbed ready for when it was dispatched and as it wasn't dispatched the time frame ran out for debit
caverncity29/07/2020 16:13

I'm surprised PayPal didn't pay them and you owe PayPal which makes me …I'm surprised PayPal didn't pay them and you owe PayPal which makes me think it was only grabbed ready for when it was dispatched and as it wasn't dispatched the time frame ran out for debit

How could I chase that?
Update, I've rang Dell, they have said if an invoice is created (which I have) then the order is usually paid for especially with me receiving it. Their finance team are looking into it, I will hear back from them tomorrow. If it is marked as paid I'll then have to contact paypal right? but nothing is showing as negative in Paypal.
caverncity29/07/2020 16:12

Did they actually cancel it, do you have an email to say cancelled if so …Did they actually cancel it, do you have an email to say cancelled if so then it is unsolicited goods. However it's still not yours so give them a chance to pick it up

It's when people start to call it "unsolicited goods" that it should become clear that this forum isn't suitable for legal advice. Somewhere like Reddit.com/r/L…eUK is better, since, while it's also crowdsourced legal advice, it has a large enough userbase of informed members that misinformed ones offering dangerously inaccurate advice are buried with downvotes.
Pájaro29/07/2020 16:32

It's when people start to call it "unsolicited goods" that it should …It's when people start to call it "unsolicited goods" that it should become clear that this forum isn't suitable for legal advice. Somewhere like Reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK is better, since, while it's also crowdsourced legal advice, it has a large enough userbase of informed members that misinformed ones offering dangerously inaccurate advice are buried with downvotes.

Probably the only sensible post on this discussion. This is certainly not the correct forum for this type of discussion, you'll only get replies from people who *think* they're right and *think* they know what they're talking about.
I’ve expired the deal but can’t delete. Dell and PayPal will sort this. Thanks for all the help you’ve tried to give.
This sounds strangely familiar...wasn't there another thread with almost the exact same circumstances (also a monitor) a few months ago?
118luke29/07/2020 16:48

Probably the only sensible post on this discussion. This is certainly not …Probably the only sensible post on this discussion. This is certainly not the correct forum for this type of discussion, you'll only get replies from people who *think* they're right and *think* they know what they're talking about.

Yep. It's a shame. This thread actually does have someone whose advice is completely consistent with that of everything offered by established authorities on the matter, but on this platform, his advice has the exact same weight as the person whose advice is completely to the opposite. Kinda undermines the first guy's efforts.
Pájaro29/07/2020 17:12

Yep. It's a shame. This thread actually does have someone whose advice is …Yep. It's a shame. This thread actually does have someone whose advice is completely consistent with that of everything offered by established authorities on the matter, but on this platform, his advice has the exact same weight as the person whose advice is completely to the opposite. Kinda undermines the first guy's efforts.

You could give his advice more weight by seconding it
Post a comment
@
    Text