Paint Brand for Newly Plastered Walls

Posted 9th May 2023
I understand matte is better than silk, but could you advise which brand I should get after the 'primer' goes on?

Please bear in mind kids!
Thanks!
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    dorey69
    Once the plaster and primer are fully dry, it’s your choice. I prefer Matt paint. And the brand depends on your spending budget
    BluebirdRobin Author
    Which brand do you like which is good quality?
    Mark_Hickman
    I used to be a decorator until some years back, wilko branded paint is as good and thick as any crown or dulux ive used and their new scrubbable/washable paint is definitely worth the extra few quid.
    Make sure you do a mist coat first, water down some white paint and do a quick coat or two to seal the plaster (edited)
    yorkie12
    I second Wilko paints are good and cover well, Just done most of our newly plastered house. For mist coats I used Matt white( not vinyl) watered down 50% and did two coats on the new plaster.
    ChrisKaru
    Based on my experience, Leyland Trade Super Latex White Matt Emulsion paint is absolutely brilliant. Had the ceiling plastered a few weeks ago, let it dry for 5 days. Two coats of this stuff (as it came in the tub) and it left a rich finish. The high opacity certainly makes a difference. (edited)
    bigsparky
    https://paintersworld.co.uk/painters-advice/best-paint-for-plaster#:~:text=Due%20to%20the%20fact%20that,which%20include%20cost%20and%20moisture.
    BluebirdRobin Author
    Thank you! So would you recommend 'Dulux Trade Supermatt'?
    karlypants
    I’ve used Leyland trade matte emulsion in the past that’s been great but is only available in brilliant white I think.
    Daaru
    I tend to use Johnstones Trade or Dulux Trade, however, which ever brand you use, be sure to apply a mist coat (watered down paint) prior to applying the main coat,
    dulux.co.uk/en/…ter (edited)
    wayners
    Walls you say.valspar premium which I rate. That's a tuff matt paint..
    Easy to get hold off. It don't like going over contract matt though so you may need primer.

Trade, then crown extreme matt. Bit of a sheen but good paint.

Durables don't like dry surfaces. They take longer to dry, and longer recoat times as well. Don't push it or you will get in trouble (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants