Paint Brushes and Rollers

Posted 28th Oct
So I finally decided to paint the spare bedroom last weekend and decided that I need some better paint brushes especially for cutting in on the edges with skirting and ceilings. I used Harris and decided it was utter rubbish. My roller was a big fluffy one that absorbed more paint than it put on the walls and When I finished I spent the next 30 minutes washing it out.
Are there any decorators here that can recommend a good brush and roller for normal emulsion please.
I’ve only got the rest of the house to do 🤦♂️😫.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Harris. You just need to perhaps learn to apply it a little better and choose the paint well.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 28th Oct
I'm not a decorator but have done most of the house, I use pads now, adding extension poles to what were impossible to reach areas,I they do make it less of a chore
I am currently redecorating our entire house, each room is needing 3 coats of brilliant white to cover up the pink, 3 shades of blue, purple and in one room half yellow and half peach, and the walls are 10 feet in the small rooms and 15/17 feet in the bigger rooms, so thought a roller would make life easier.
I found rollers to be a pain and completely useless, I gave up with them and went back to my trusty cheap paint brush, looks like this one amazon.co.uk/Sil…HWM and cost me £1 about 8 years ago, yes it takes longer and I did end up with a blister, but I think that was because I tried to paint the whole 16x12 master bedroom in one go twice in one day.
I masking taped the skirting and electrical sockets so didn’t have to worry about cutting in, also emulsion is water based so you can always wash it off if you do get it on the socket or skirting boards, as long as it’s not unprimed wood.

I did use a smaller brush to do behind the radiator and the reflector film that I put behind the radiator covers up any bits further down that I missed.

Another good trick is, if you are going to be using the brush again within a day don’t wash it, wrap it in cling film.
Hope some of that helps and good luck
Decent masking tape, decent paint, I buy own brand long handle small size roller and barely need a brush with it.
There's nothing wrong with Harris brushes but as with previous comments, get some decent paint and buy a tray kit with a set of pads. They're fairly inexpensive and easy to clean, if like me, you don't want to bin them after the job is done.

Pads work fine, cover a good area and have much less splatter / spillage than a roller. Use the biggest pad that comes with the kit and don't bother with the corner pad for 'cutting in', it's a waste of time.
Hamilton perfection roller. Hamilton performance cutting in brush.

I use Armstead trade paint, that also makes things easier.
Painter & dec here.
I use these - amazon.co.uk/Axu…c=1

daily. A lot of people have commented to me that they are exactly like purdys but without the price tag. I find the blue ones aren't as stiff as the grey ones so they're easier to work with IMO and the red ones I'm sure are more for oil based paints. Can't remember.
They are great. Of course every new brush will shed a little bit at first, these do but it's the odd hair here and there until they've settled in. I used my grey ones for well over two years, but after a colleague buying the blue ones I bought myself a set as they're easier for my wee fingers.

I'm not entirely sure what roller to recommend as our work orders in sheepskin ones and they're expensive. I'd maybe just pick up Harris emulsion ones I've seen them kicking about b&q and should be good enough for the odd decor diy job.
Haircut_10028/10/2019 23:03

Harris. You just need to perhaps learn to apply it a little better and …Harris. You just need to perhaps learn to apply it a little better and choose the paint well.

You’re probably right although the paint I’m using is Dulux.
I am a bit of a perfectionist and like a good quality finish.
The Harris brushes were part of a pack and are possibly the cheap end of their range.
themorgatron29/10/2019 07:06

Hamilton perfection roller. Hamilton performance cutting in brush. I use …Hamilton perfection roller. Hamilton performance cutting in brush. I use Armstead trade paint, that also makes things easier.

Thank you and I’ll take a look.
I’ve been using Dulux after trying shops own which I didn’t like
Cloeeez29/10/2019 08:14

Painter & dec here.I use these - …Painter & dec here.I use these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Axus-D%C3%A9cor-Pro-Brush-Brush-Set/dp/B005TH081K/ref=asc_df_B005TH081K/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=226377587466&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14694200501185647550&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007311&hvtargid=pla-420327530390&psc=1&th=1&psc=1daily. A lot of people have commented to me that they are exactly like purdys but without the price tag. I find the blue ones aren't as stiff as the grey ones so they're easier to work with IMO and the red ones I'm sure are more for oil based paints. Can't remember.They are great. Of course every new brush will shed a little bit at first, these do but it's the odd hair here and there until they've settled in. I used my grey ones for well over two years, but after a colleague buying the blue ones I bought myself a set as they're easier for my wee fingers.I'm not entirely sure what roller to recommend as our work orders in sheepskin ones and they're expensive. I'd maybe just pick up Harris emulsion ones I've seen them kicking about b&q and should be good enough for the odd decor diy job.

Thank you and I’ll add those to my list for reviewing.
Some have mentioned paint pads which I’ve never considered before so I’ll take a look at those too.
Thank you all.
Wilko, their brushes aren't bad, I wasted money buying Harris brushes but they weren't any better.

You should use gloss on the skirting boards.
I use this set from Screwfix and have good results. The double roller frame makes painting much quicker.

screwfix.com/p/n…39v
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants