Expired

Paint changing colour?

Found 22nd Apr 2014
Hello, I started to paint a fence last Summer, using Ronseal outdoor paint in dark oak. I never finished it, so my daughter decided to continue the job over this Easter. I opened up the partly used paint and gave it a good stir, however, on drying, the painted fence now appears an orange/brown colour! Does anybody know how long this paint will stay true to its colour once opened? Also, parts of the fence were previously painted blue, but going over them in oak last year, created another problem - using the oak paint (last year) on unpainted fence, the colour turned out dark oak, but using the same paint over a blue fence, it came out darker. Just wondering if I should bin the paint and start again with a couple of new tubs, perhaps not Ronseal? Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
AskPaint
9 Comments
I had the same problem with Dulux. paint ain't what it used to be!!!
us too! Keep trying to touch up scuffs and the paint is a different shade. I guess it fades quicker these days...
I have been using ASDA's shed and fence paint and dont see any difference between what I painted last year and this year from the same tub though it was opened.

This might be your solution ???
FMJ1000

us too! Keep trying to touch up scuffs and the paint is a different … us too! Keep trying to touch up scuffs and the paint is a different shade. I guess it fades quicker these days...

For our fencing it is so noticeable - last year's bit that was painted is a dark oak colour (as it says on the tin), but the fencing we did over the weekend (using the same paint), is orange/brown, no where near dark oak!
Was the fence all put up at the same time using the same wood? If there are different ages / types of timber, they can appear a different colour with the same paint. And painting over blue paint will never give you the same colour as painting on bare wood.
I got some basic B&Q paint for the fence and it worked very well, My advice would be to get a cheap paint to build up a couple of layers on the fence (this will ensure colour consistency and durability) and finish off with one layer of something a little longer lasting.
Edited by: "loremipsum" 22nd Apr 2014
ceres

Was the fence all put up at the same time using the same wood? If there … Was the fence all put up at the same time using the same wood? If there are different ages / types of timber, they can appear a different colour with the same paint. And painting over blue paint will never give you the same colour as painting on bare wood.

The fence was all here when we moved in. Yes, the fence is two different types of wood, however, where we went over the fence at the front of the house (daughter gave it two coats), it came out two different colours - used the last bits from two different tins that were open. Just wondering if we use an even darker colour (darker than the oak), if it would cover all of the shades of brown ok, so that the fence would look near enough the same colour. Thank you for your replies anyway.

If you want an even appearance, paint it all in one go from start to finish with the same new tins of paint. Using up old leftovers is false economy as you've found, if the appearance is important to you. If you go with a darker colour in the same tone as the existing paint, it should cover evenly. Might take a couple of coats though and I'm not sure the overpainted blue will look exactly the same.

loremipsum

I got some basic B&Q paint for the fence and it worked very well, My … I got some basic B&Q paint for the fence and it worked very well, My advice would be to get a cheap paint to build up a couple of layers on the fence (this will ensure colour consistency and durability) and finish off with one layer of something a little longer lasting.

Good advice - I did this to change shed and fence from red/brown to green. Got an industrial quantity of cheap green off ebay to do the colour change then finished off with wax-enriched top coat.
Exposure to the sun will change the pigment.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions