Found 15th Nov 2009
Right! I am fuming...I spent the best part of a week scraping the stupid paint of my sons walls as the silly ppl who lived here before me decided to paint onto wet/not fully dried plaster! Anyways, I thought, if I took the time to scrape the old paint off the walls and then painted them the paint would not crack away
I have just gone up there to start on the glossing and yup the paints cracking away all over the blimming place!
What can I do? Or, is it a case of sealing all the walls in there?

1. Misc
  2. Paint
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Paint
27 Comments

you're glossing... onto a wall?

ClarityofMind;6895014

you're glossing... onto a wall?

thats what I thought:w00t:

This is going to be one of those long explanation thingies isnt it............lol

Original Poster

no no lol
I was gonna go up to gloss the woodwork! not the walls

it would probably benefit you to paint the walls with watered down PVA before you paint them as this will stop the cracking(hopefully)

Original Poster

lol sorry, i just re-read it and it does sound like im about to gloss the walls lol, i meant last week i scraped and prepared all the walls, painted yesterday and left it to dry overnight (matt), went up there to start glossing skirtings/doors etc and the matt paint on walls is cracking all over the place, i put my hand ove rit and just gently rubbed it and its literally flaking off

Original Poster

Ropster;6895051

it would probably benefit you to paint the walls with watered down PVA … it would probably benefit you to paint the walls with watered down PVA before you paint them as this will stop the cracking(hopefully)

ohhhhh I had to do this in my girls bedroom too, I was hoping to get away with not doing that if I scraped the old paint off if you see what I mean?
Oh jeeez, I've just managed to give myself more work to do haven't i? :oops:

Original Poster

sobluex;6895059

ohhhhh I had to do this in my girls bedroom too, I was hoping to get away … ohhhhh I had to do this in my girls bedroom too, I was hoping to get away with not doing that if I scraped the old paint off if you see what I mean? Oh jeeez, I've just managed to give myself more work to do haven't i? :oops:

Water the emulsion down with water a bit if thepaint is too thick it dries to quickly into the new plaster work and cracks

sobluex;6895046

no no lol I was gonna go up to gloss the woodwork! not the walls

whew.

You're going to have to remove the flakey paint hun and size the walls before you paint xx

I wonder if you could get away with gluing lining paper up instead.... lets see what people say xx

Original Poster

the plaster work is old though, it was nearly plastered when the previous people lived here, I have been here since March and have just gotten round to sorting Ryan's room out, would watering the paint down work if the plaster isnt new? sorry to sound 'dim' I don't usually do the decorating/diy side of things, if the watering down will work...would I be ok to put a normal top coat of paint on top of the dried watered down paint? or will that make it crack again?

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;6895094

whew. You're going to have to remove the flakey paint hun and size the … whew. You're going to have to remove the flakey paint hun and size the walls before you paint xxI wonder if you could get away with gluing lining paper up instead.... lets see what people say xx

oooo lining paper! that isnt a bad idea at all, I'm sure theres a couple of rolls in the shed as well, will go and check and nip into town later to grab the rest, I know I have paste etc for wallpaper (I can stick it up with that right?) would be much less stressful though wouldnt it! thank you

sobluex;6895098

the plaster work is old though, it was nearly plastered when the previous … the plaster work is old though, it was nearly plastered when the previous people lived here, I have been here since March and have just gotten round to sorting Ryan's room out, would watering the paint down work if the plaster isnt new? sorry to sound 'dim' I don't usually do the decorating/diy side of things, if the watering down will work...would I be ok to put a normal top coat of paint on top of the dried watered down paint? or will that make it crack again?

watering the paint down would still work xx

as would the wash with the thinned glue.

hope the lining paper works! Do one wall and see if it stays up before you do the whole room xxx

Original Poster

I will do, thank you all so much! Trust it to happen to me, lmao I thought to myself last week....oooo s0d mucking around sealing walls etc etc I'll just scrape the paint off and start again....hmmmm? lol
Right, I guess its cuppa time and back up there then

[QUOTE=ClarityofMind;6895123]watering the paint down would still work xx

as would the wash with the thinned glue.

hope the lining paper works! Do one wall and see if it stays up before you do the whole room xxx

Well that's it for this week see you again next week when COM's TOP TIPS will be back with handy hint's for the impudent

sobluex;6895098

the plaster work is old though, it was nearly plastered when the previous … the plaster work is old though, it was nearly plastered when the previous people lived here, I have been here since March and have just gotten round to sorting Ryan's room out, would watering the paint down work if the plaster isnt new? sorry to sound 'dim' I don't usually do the decorating/diy side of things, if the watering down will work...would I be ok to put a normal top coat of paint on top of the dried watered down paint? or will that make it crack again?

Sack the painting. Make sure you scrape all the loose paint off and get some nice pastel/neutral coloured blown vinyl.

Then next time you you can just paint over it and provided you have a nice gentle pattern like stripes or something it will be good for ages. I got some cracking beige paper from wickes for £2.99 a roll and it looks great.

renown;6895161

watering the paint down would still work xxas would the wash with the … watering the paint down would still work xxas would the wash with the thinned glue. hope the lining paper works! Do one wall and see if it stays up before you do the whole room xxxWell that's it for this week see you again next week when COM's TOP TIPS will be back with handy hint's for the impudent

lol you didnt know I was Nick Knowles in drag did ya??

renown;6895161

COM's TOP TIPS will be back with handy hint's for the impudent

Can she help me out with that too:|

jtx;6895295

Can she help me out with that too:|

You want me to dress up as Nick Knowles??

Funny the things that get men going on here :-D

Never mind. I just realised it says impudent:thumbsup:

jtx;6895324

Never mind. I just realised it says impudent:thumbsup:

oh!! LOL!! :roll:

you should of left the paint on the walls and just sealed the walls with watered down pva glue do this twice and then paint ya walls twice with emultion

Had the same issue in my kitchen. Tried sealing with PVA, didn't work. Sanded one wall down to plaster and it stopped cracking but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of doing the rest so used lining paper and that worked. I feel for you as its a pain in the ar..........

Banned

linda turnock;6895352

you should of left the paint on the walls and just sealed the walls with … you should of left the paint on the walls and just sealed the walls with watered down pva glue do this twice and then paint ya walls twice with emultion

+1 :thumbsup:

Ropster;6895051

it would probably benefit you to paint the walls with watered down PVA … it would probably benefit you to paint the walls with watered down PVA before you paint them as this will stop the cracking(hopefully)

the sedge;6895085

Water the emulsion down with water a bit if thepaint is too thick it … Water the emulsion down with water a bit if thepaint is too thick it dries to quickly into the new plaster work and cracks

martinhb;6895474

Had the same issue in my kitchen. Tried sealing with PVA, didn't work. … Had the same issue in my kitchen. Tried sealing with PVA, didn't work. Sanded one wall down to plaster and it stopped cracking but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of doing the rest so used lining paper and that worked. I feel for you as its a pain in the ar..........

These.
If you want a decent looking finish: sand, seal, apply a good quality paint.
If you're not really bothered, rub it down with a plastic scouring pad and then paper/wall paper/ stick up loads of posters/put up shelves/ wardrobes.

uni bond the walls with pva glue 4 parts water to 1 part uni-bond leave to dry for 24 hours and paint as normal..

ukmonkey;6896094

uni bond the walls with pva glue 4 parts water to 1 part uni-bond leave … uni bond the walls with pva glue 4 parts water to 1 part uni-bond leave to dry for 24 hours and paint as normal..

Yep, have to do this in our spare room tomorrow on the ceiling, only room in the house that paint flakes off on, suspect it's because retains damp more than the others which get used more often.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition66709
    2. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …43
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers44

See more discussions