Paint help please

Found 24th Jul
Feel like I'm asking for help quite a bit recently but I trust you guys more than an odd Google search!
Wanting to decorate my daughter's bedroom but unsure of the different paint types available...
The paint she would like comes in matt, satin or silk. It's for the walls and I have no idea which is best for the job.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
AskDIY
12 Comments
Depends on the condition of the walls and what the cleaning requirements are.

If you have perfect walls - no blemishes, lumps, protrusions - then any will suffice. If on the other hand your walls are not too good I would avoid silk or satin - as the sheen highlights the imperfections and you will be better off with Matt. For unpainted walls I think a Matt looks better - if your walls are papered with a embossed paper or blown vinyl I think silk looks better.

For clean-ability you are better off with silk - as this is more durable to wiping than a matt finish. If you expect to need to clean the walls frequently then I would go for a more durable paint - something like the Dulux Easycare range.

Fashion wise Matt is the current popular choice.

Budget on at least two coats - the cheaper the paint generally the more coats you need.
Van19734 m ago

Depends on the condition of the walls and what the cleaning requirements …Depends on the condition of the walls and what the cleaning requirements are. If you have perfect walls - no blemishes, lumps, protrusions - then any will suffice. If on the other hand your walls are not too good I would avoid silk or satin - as the sheen highlights the imperfections and you will be better off with Matt. For unpainted walls I think a Matt looks better - if your walls are papered with a embossed paper or blown vinyl I think silk looks better.For clean-ability you are better off with silk - as this is more durable to wiping than a matt finish. If you expect to need to clean the walls frequently then I would go for a more durable paint - something like the Dulux Easycare range.Fashion wise Matt is the current popular choice.Budget on at least two coats - the cheaper the paint generally the more coats you need.

Thank you.
Luckily, the matt is a tad cheaper too!
What brand paint is it you're looking at..?
andynicol11 m ago

What brand paint is it you're looking at..?

She's found a B&Q one (I think it's their own brand)
chuckiedoll11 m ago

She's found a B&Q one (I think it's their own brand)

Valspar?

If so, avoid, terrible, terrible paint.
andynicol20 m ago

Valspar?If so, avoid, terrible, terrible paint.

Colours?
It's this one
Edited by: "chuckiedoll" 24th Jul
Colours is fine. Valspar is terrible. Took five coats to cover my wall. By choice I go for silk because it is the most washable.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 24th Jul
chuckiedoll14 m ago

Colours?It's this one

Apologies, no experience of the Colours range, I tend to avoid the own brand paints, once bitten and all that......

But to go back to your original post, this emulsion (walls) is available in Matt or Silk, the Satin is for interior wood/metal.
Buy a scrubable Matt unless you want it to wash off when you get it wet.
Have a look at Wilkos "Durable Matt" - Scuff resistant and washable . Much better price than the "Top Brands? " and doing the job well so far .
Flat on matt. Never anything else as it is looks terrible. People that like silk on flat walls as silly in the head. Lol. Lots of durable matt paints about although the sheen on some is a little high. Johnstones durable matt is the best you will get off the shelf and they have just launched another that's probably another attempt to flog as £60 for 5lt puts people off. Don't put me off as I think that's cheap vs what I normally use.
Edited by: "wayners" 24th Jul
Silk as its kept clear, when you wash stain of wont take paint off. Get a good brand! B&q own isnt to bad, i use it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants