Paint interior of house

Posted 21st Dec 2019
Hi all,

Any painters & decorators around please? Would like to know an approximate monetary figure I should be working towards.

A new build two bedroom property. (Kitchen, no downstairs corridor, no hallway, one living room downstairs, “small” staircase, two bedrooms (medium & small), a small storage cupboard at top of stairs, one fairly small family bathroom and a downstairs WC and sink) and upstairs landing.

This includes all walls (two coats basic emulsion), all ceilings (two coats), all skirting boards throughout the house (gloss), 6 window shelves (gloss), one front door, five internal doors and staircase & banisters.

I’ve had a quote for £1500 (this includes supplying all necessary paint) and then I’ve had another quote for £900 (paint not included)

Please let me know your thoughts. I don’t want a cheap job, I want a proper job and I’m happy to pay. But at the same time, I don’t want to be getting ripped off.

Thank you x
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
39461994-68KYl.jpg
39461994-HPEqJ.jpg
£900 seems cheap. I’d probably ask to see some of his/her work because there are a lot of self certified cowboys around.

I think you’d be looking at about £1,200-£1,400.
£1,500 seems okay provided you can be sure on the standard of work.

Generally, for decorators. I’d go of recommendations from family or friends as you can see the quality of work for yourself.
Edited by: "Simba92" 21st Dec 2019
Just had my 3 bed house done, not painted in 19 years.
11 doors 9 rads 6 window seals, hall needed 3 coats.
Cost £2000 and looks like a new house again,
Especially after the new carpets were fitted as well.
When the new kitchen sink and taps are fitted it will be perfect.
Edited by: "bigwheels" 21st Dec 2019
If you give the rough area where you live, you might get a referral from someone on here.
I had a quote from 3 painters to paint a 3 bedroom house. One at 750. Another at £850 and one at £1200 I would supply the paint. I questioned the painters and told them exactly what I was looking for and how I wanted it done. Did decide to go with the cheapest not because of the price but was friendly and I did explain I wanted it done well. The £1200 we as quiet pushy and I told them I had a cheaper quote. Said he would reduce the price by £50 even though the quote was further out. Glad I didn't go for him.
But best you get a few quotes and speak with the people and ask them about the job. One thing I know working in the building trade is the price has no reflection on the quality. I always give them one room to do first and if they any good let them carry on or send them packing. But I would think it's around £120 - £150 a room to paint.
Won't cost you £600 for the paint so the second quote is cheaper.

I personally think £900 labour is a bit expensive as I think it should be able to be done in a week max.

Ceilings - if already painted white should only need one coat if using a decent paint.
It looks to me like it's had a once over with contractor paint anyway. So unless your going for a drastic colour change 1 coat should do.

Did chuckle that a new build doesn't have pvc window sills.

Anyhow. Sometimes the company you think might be expensive is the cheapest / best. Ask your local decent kitchen fitter or window fitters. If the same name crops up a few times then thats your place to go.
kash201321/12/2019 22:27

I had a quote from 3 painters to paint a 3 bedroom house. One at 750. …I had a quote from 3 painters to paint a 3 bedroom house. One at 750. Another at £850 and one at £1200 I would supply the paint. I questioned the painters and told them exactly what I was looking for and how I wanted it done. Did decide to go with the cheapest not because of the price but was friendly and I did explain I wanted it done well. The £1200 we as quiet pushy and I told them I had a cheaper quote. Said he would reduce the price by £50 even though the quote was further out. Glad I didn't go for him. But best you get a few quotes and speak with the people and ask them about the job. One thing I know working in the building trade is the price has no reflection on the quality. I always give them one room to do first and if they any good let them carry on or send them packing. But I would think it's around £120 - £150 a room to paint.

Thank you, really helped me! Needed some professional advice.

Definitely one room first then allow them to carry on with the rest of the house.. I did do that with the plastering elsewhere and it worked out well for me. Thank you for your help and advice.
MonkeysUncle22/12/2019 01:54

It looks to me like it's had a once over with contractor paint anyway. So …It looks to me like it's had a once over with contractor paint anyway. So unless your going for a drastic colour change 1 coat should do.Did chuckle that a new build doesn't have pvc window sills.Anyhow. Sometimes the company you think might be expensive is the cheapest / best. Ask your local decent kitchen fitter or window fitters. If the same name crops up a few times then thats your place to go.

It’s contractor paint - magnolia. I was only thinking colour white to freshen it up and open it out as it’s a fairly small property.

New builds.. yes still with the gloss window sills.

I shall ask around the local trades for a recommendation. Thank you
It's quite easy to judge paint needed..

If the wall is 4m x 3m then simply times 4x3 = 12 square metres....

Grab a cuppa and a notepad and write down each room sizes, double it for the 2nd coat...

Then use the b&q website as that says how much square metres each tin will cover

I did an entire house for about £300 of paint and tools.
Douglas_Birks22/12/2019 08:04

It's quite easy to judge paint needed..If the wall is 4m x 3m then simply …It's quite easy to judge paint needed..If the wall is 4m x 3m then simply times 4x3 = 12 square metres....Grab a cuppa and a notepad and write down each room sizes, double it for the 2nd coat... Then use the b&q website as that says how much square metres each tin will cover I did an entire house for about £300 of paint and tools.

Thank you. Another trick of the trade for future use. Cheers for that x
Hennah22/12/2019 09:35

Thank you. Another trick of the trade for future use. Cheers for that x

Your welcome, good luck
MonkeysUncle22/12/2019 01:54

Did chuckle that a new build doesn't have pvc window sills.

My 5yr old new build doesn’t have plastic internal window sills either, and I’m pleased it doesn’t. They go yellow over time and need replacing where as wood ones are just painted and look better than plastic.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions