paint kitchen cupboads - is primer and kitchen paint ok?

7 replies
Found 2nd Sep 2016
Diy q here
I am repainting my kitchen cupboad doors and sides and wondered if iflt is ok to use a primer then normal kitchen paint like the dulux kitchen+ range. Alternatively if anyone has some tips and names of products I should use do pleasr shout. Thanks all, matt

7 Comments

im sure dulux do a cupboard range

Solid wood?
Lightly sand with sandpaper, wash down with sugar soap, apply wood primer, apply a gloss or satin/egshell depending on desired finish.

Melamine?
Wash down with sugar soap, apply melamine primer, apply a gloss or satin/egshell depending on desired finish.

I used International melamine primer and Dulux satinwood a few years ago on old kitchen doors prior to selling the property, rejuvenated the kitchen and at first glance looked new.

Edited by: "andynicol" 2nd Sep 2016

Depending on the surface get yourself some Zinseer BIN primer/cover stain. It's not cheap but it gives a good solid Base on which to apply paint to. Only needs a light sand before applying. Normal primer will scratch off varnish/gloss finish.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, they are wood doors. Do I paint with the egg shell then add a gloss or would normal kitchen paint after the primer be ok?

wattsey

Thanks everyone, they are wood doors. Do I paint with the egg shell then … Thanks everyone, they are wood doors. Do I paint with the egg shell then add a gloss or would normal kitchen paint after the primer be ok?

Isn't Dulux Kitchen + a vinyl matt paint for ceilings and walls ? Why would you paint kitchen cupboards with that ?

As has already been said you need a good quality primer followed by undercoat then an eggshell or gloss top coat.

A lot of preparation and several coats of paint........

wattsey

Thanks everyone, they are wood doors. Do I paint with the egg shell then … Thanks everyone, they are wood doors. Do I paint with the egg shell then add a gloss or would normal kitchen paint after the primer be ok?

Once primed normally you would do 2 coats of eggshell, if you want a semi gloss finish or 1 undercoat and 1 gloss for a shiny finish. You can't you use paints designed for ceiling /walls on kitchen units. You can get waterbased eggshell or gloss but if you want durability oil is better.

wattsey

What finish are you after..?

Primer then either -

Gloss if a gloss finish is desired,

Eggshell if a very flat matt finish is desired

or Satinwood if a matt finish is preferred.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Coming up to bonfire night ...2128
    2. word association Game74244893
    3. sweet Sundays codes need to be redeemed by 23.59 on the 19th of October56
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769294

See more discussions