Paint over wallpaper or takedown wallpaper then paint?

Found 25th Nov 2017
What is more advisable please? Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

Remove wallpaper and use lining paper if required
8 Comments

Bandicoot31 m ago

I agree totally...!!!

Depends on the wallpaper, but unless the wallpaper is 100% stuck to the wall, it is going to look bad if you paint over it. As mentioned by Bandicoot, if the walls are not perfect after removing the old wallpaper, then use lining paper (the thickest grade). I live in a Victorian house that has never been replastered and painted directly onto most walls after removing wallpaper. Those that were not perfect were covered with a paintable paper (either lining paper, anaglypta and blown vinyl).

the correct way and will achieve the best result is as one of the post has already mentioned, take wall paper down and put lining paper on before painting. if you don't want to use lining paper then you will more than likely need to replaster the walls before painting as walls behind wall paper tend not to be in good enough condition for painting straight on.

i have cheated in the past and just paint over wall paper without taking them off and the result is still fine, but it does depend on the wall paper and how well it is stuck to the wall.

There is one other cheat that no one has mentioned... line the paper that is there, then paint on that. This will give better results than painting directly on the paper already there as the present paper may have fingerprints and greasy hand prints (you may not see them but they become apparent when painting). If you do this make sure your paper joins do not overlap the originals!

If its simply a freshen up with a plan next year to paper, then painting over the existing paper is perfectly feasible.

Wash down with sugar soap, this will remove any grime etc, then paint over.

Word of warning, depending on the type of paper painting over sometimes is a pain if its got a textured pattern.

Short term only I'd advise above, best as has been said, strip back and apply a lining paper, then paint, but IMO, I'd rather just apply a new coloured/patterned paper, 1/2 the work if the walls are fine.
Edited by: "andynicol" 25th Nov 2017

mrty5 h, 8 m ago

There is one other cheat that no one has mentioned... line the paper that …There is one other cheat that no one has mentioned... line the paper that is there, then paint on that. This will give better results than painting directly on the paper already there as the present paper may have fingerprints and greasy hand prints (you may not see them but they become apparent when painting). If you do this make sure your paper joins do not overlap the originals!

the lining paper wont go on very well on wall paper?

mutley143 m ago

the lining paper wont go on very well on wall paper?

Decent paste and it should do unless the paper is washable, in which case it needs stripping
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions