Expired

paint peeling off walls... Help!

Found 11th Sep 2014
Got a bedroom plastered about 3 weeks ago, when plaster was fully dried I gave the whole room a couple of costs of paint with a matte emulsion (have always done this after getting it plastered) doing a feature wall though and have painted one wall with silk paint and it has started peeling off and turned very silicone like? is silk no good for newly plastered walls or am I doing something wrong?

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
10 Comments
After the plaster had dried out did you give the plaster "a mist coat" (thin watered down water based emulsion) or pva before applying normal emulsion?

There are proper primers for plaster available from diy stores but generally you can use the mist option.
Edited by: "philphil61" 11th Sep 2014
Problem is, now you will need to wait till it has dried and give it a good sand down before priming.
I would imagine it's because plaster is porous and "breathable" and needs as phil said, a 50/50 coat of water and emulsion paint first to prepare it for more paint. Whereas the silk will likely be oil based, not letting the plaster underneath evaporate the last of the water from it, trapping it in. I would agree that you will need to sand down the silk part of the room.

Having said that, I painted my bathroom bare plaster some years ago with undiluted matte emulsion (I didn't know the rules lol) and it was fine. However again being water based I was lucky and it was fine.
Sounds as if the emulsion isn't adhering very well. Agree you should have primed the plaster.
Original Poster
When the plaster had dried the walls were all gave 2 coats of really thin water based matte emulsion,
I had another room plastered and did this and walls were fine, though it was all matte pained used..

Think I've made a mistake by opting for the silk..
now I'm debating whether to try and peel the rest of the paint off the walls or just try and sand the bumpy bits and repaint over it.
my only problem then would be if more bumps started to occur!
polka3306

When the plaster had dried the walls were all gave 2 coats of really thin … When the plaster had dried the walls were all gave 2 coats of really thin water based matte emulsion, I had another room plastered and did this and walls were fine, though it was all matte pained used..Think I've made a mistake by opting for the silk..now I'm debating whether to try and peel the rest of the paint off the walls or just try and sand the bumpy bits and repaint over it.my only problem then would be if more bumps started to occur!

Don't paint over it - sand it off and start again with a matt emulsion
Peel then sand the start again
Original Poster
moob

Don't paint over it - sand it off and start again with a matt emulsion

thanks all for your help, day of peeling and sanding it is then!...
After this room is done I'll not be redecorating for a while! forgot how stressful it is haha!
I've just done something similar - used Crown silk on the wardrobe walls - two coats, no priming. Although it hasn't peeled off, I can easily take both layers off with a finger

So trying to fit a bulky centre shelving unit I keep knocking the walls when I take it out to trim it to fit and put it back in again, taking bits off paint off each time.
Original Poster
Bigfootpete

I've just done something similar - used Crown silk on the wardrobe walls … I've just done something similar - used Crown silk on the wardrobe walls - two coats, no priming. Although it hasn't peeled off, I can easily take both layers off with a finger :(So trying to fit a bulky centre shelving unit I keep knocking the walls when I take it out to trim it to fit and put it back in again, taking bits off paint off each time.

oh no I feel your pain lol.
mine is strange some bits I can get off with my fingers easily other bits are not coming off as easy! trying to be as gentle as I can so I don't do any damage to the plaster!
good luck with yours hope it doesn't peel!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants