Painted skirting with gloss but now uneven edges

Found 31st Jul 2016
I painted my skirting boards with gloss paint last night (have done an undercoat). I used masking tape in the hope of keeping the line straight. However, I have now removed the masking tape and the top edges of the skirting (where the gloss meets the emulsioned wallpaper) are bumpy/not straight. Thinking about it now, I'm wondering if the problem is that I stuck the masking tape to wallpaper that was not flat (patterned blown vinyl) and that the gloss paint seeped under the edges seeing that the wallpaper pattern is not flat - at the time I made sure that it felt like the masking tape had stuck totally flat.

What would be the best way to remedy this? Would an emulsion paint go over the bits of gloss that have seeped under the masking tape? Also, I have done one coat of gloss over a white undercoat. Do you really need to do two coats of gloss as it suggests on the tin, or is one adequate (seeing I have painted undercoat first)? If it is best to do a second gloss coat, do I have to sand down the first gloss coat, or can I just paint the second coat directly on top of the first (it says to leave 16 hours between coats)?

Thank you.
Community Updates
AskPaintSkirt
9 Comments
Just go over the bits of gloss that have got onto the wallpaper with emulsion, it'll be fine.
Regarding two coats of gloss, how does it look with one coat? Are you happy with the look of it? If so leave it as it is. If not then you'll have to apply a second coat. I've put gloss directly on top of gloss (once the first coat is dry) without any preparation and never had a problem but technically you're supposed to help the second coat stick by removing the shinyness from the first coat. Sandpaper is the recommended method but I just use a green scouring pad, it goes into the contours of the skirting better and makes less dust.

Original Poster
Delbert Grady

Just go over the bits of gloss that have got onto the wallpaper with … Just go over the bits of gloss that have got onto the wallpaper with emulsion, it'll be fine.Regarding two coats of gloss, how does it look with one coat? Are you happy with it? If so leave it as it is. If not then you'll have to apply a second coat. I've put gloss directly on top of gloss without any problems but technically you're supposed to help the second coat stick by removing the shinyness from the first coat. Sandpaper is the recommended method but I just use a green scouring pad, it goes into the contours of the skrting bvetter and makes less dust.

It looks ok. I used an undercoat (that I don't usually use) as the paint that I was painting over was dark blue. I did two coats of undercoat and have now painted one coat of gloss, so really I think it will be ok. I'll just go over the gloss that has seeped further up with the emulsion paint - I wasn't too sure if the emulsion paint would stick/dry to the gloss paint well enough (the reason that I asked about that). I have a carpet to go down, how long do you think that I should leave the skirting before laying the carpet? Thank you.
Sophiasky

It looks ok. I used an undercoat (that I don't usually use) as the paint … It looks ok. I used an undercoat (that I don't usually use) as the paint that I was painting over was dark blue. I did two coats of undercoat and have now painted one coat of gloss, so really I think it will be ok. I'll just go over the gloss that has seeped further up with the emulsion paint - I wasn't too sure if the emulsion paint would stick/dry to the gloss paint well enough (the reason that I asked about that). I have a carpet to go down, how long do you think that I should leave the skirting before laying the carpet? Thank you.

The emulsion should stick to the gloss fine - I've occasionally got splashes of emulsion on gloss but not noticed until its dried, and then its quite difficult to get off!
Regarding the carpet, are you using oil based gloss or water based? If its water based it should be ok to put carpets down the next day but if its oil based I would leave it a couple of days if you can - sometimes you get thicker dribbles of paint where the skirting meets the floor and these take longer to dry. If you're not sure, run your hand along the bottom of the skirting before you carpet to see if any of the paint is still tacky.
Original Poster
Delbert Grady

The emulsion should stick to the gloss fine - I've occasionally got … The emulsion should stick to the gloss fine - I've occasionally got splashes of emulsion on gloss but not noticed until its dried, and then its quite difficult to get off!Regarding the carpet, are you using oil based gloss or water based? If its water based it should be ok to put carpets down the next day but if its oil based I would leave it a couple of days if you can - sometimes you get thicker dribbles of paint where the skirting meets the floor and these take longer to dry. If you're not sure, run your hand along the bottom of the skirting before you carpet to see if any of the paint is still tacky.

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.
Sophiasky

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

No problem.
how about just emulsioning the woodwork as well?
scms

how about just emulsioning the woodwork as well?

​I guess your using oil based gloss..don't masks top edge to avoid the line. You can gloss over gloss for up to 6 weeks without the need for a Undercoat as it's still curing and will stick no problem
you might need to use a two of the coats of the emulsion over the gloss as the gloss is thicker and it will be harder to cover, also I don't use masking tape for the top of skirting, just a good brush and steady hand, that way you see why your doing as you go
Since you've no carpet to deal with, I would give it a 2nd coat so you don't have to paint it again for another couple of years with a carpet down.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions