Groups

Painting

Hi everyone

Quick few questions

Bought some brand new skirting that I need to paint, what is the sequence? Primer, Undercoat, White Gloss? or should I just use Primer then one coat gloss.

Also got some really dark wood on the door frame and picture rail already, should I sand this first? Can I use paint stripper on it? I don't know the best way of painting this.

Thanks

4 Comments

Bought some brand new skirting that I need to paint, what is the … Bought some brand new skirting that I need to paint, what is the sequence? Primer, Undercoat, White Gloss? or should I just use Primer then one coat gloss.

Primer, Undercoat and then gloss is correct.

Personally, I use 2 coats of primer, and then 2 coats of gloss.
    1 coat of gloss may not cover correctly, and you are likely to get drips, as you tend to put too much on when tryig to do it in one coat.

The "1 coat" gloss that you can get was generally very poor, but I haven't used it for years, so it may have improved.

Also got some really dark wood on the door frame and picture rail … Also got some really dark wood on the door frame and picture rail already, should I sand this first? Can I use paint stripper on it? I don't know the best way of painting this.

You can do as much as you like. The more time you spend on preparation, the better the finish.

Original Poster

2 coats of undercoat too?

Ommid;5583084

I never use it. Only because I can't be doing with all the sanding between coats.
    If you have the time, and want a better finish then go for it.

Original Poster

Hehe, ok, will keep posted
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would28103
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047160
      3. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2032
      4. 24 studio order number 0844 800 11 221210

See more discussions