painting help

Hi,
We have a terribly plastered landing and hallway which has been covered with lining paper.
I'm looking for a quick and cheap improvement without lining again.

Are there specific paints that will make the poor plaster less obvious

Thanks

10 Comments

Flat matt paint with filler - lightweight filler such as this (or wickes brand) highly recommended wickes.co.uk/Pol…110 it dries in half an hour and can be sanded after. Great stuff - we never use anything else now.

Woodchip!!!! Or embosed anaglypta etc. Something with a raised pattern.
Edited by: "C00KIEM0NSTER" 27th Dec 2016

if the plasters just rough but solid,lightly sand it.

Original Poster

Paint on the lining paper?

I've used ronseal smooth over before with success. Deeper holes should be filled with filler.

Sanding down after application will take time though if you are applying to whole wall.

Any of the "Cover-Up" paints can be used with a long hair or texture roller to give a light texture to the finish, helping to mask surface issues.
I would "paint the wall with "size" (thinned wallpaper paste), to seal and stabilize the surface first, some really old plaster just really doesnt like paint, and it will peel, even after sealing; in this case you will need to use a Latex based paint; Zinser is the best, but it aint cheap, and the range is messed up now, so I dont know which of their products is best - unless you manage to come across a old tin of their "Whole House Primer"; this gives a beautiful semi-gloss, pure white finish that doesnt yellow, even after a decade.

hukddg

Hi, We have a terribly plastered landing and hallway which has been … Hi, We have a terribly plastered landing and hallway which has been covered with lining paper.I'm looking for a quick and cheap improvement without lining again.Are there specific paints that will make the poor plaster less obvious Thanks

It's not quite clear what you intend to do?

Are you leaving the existing lining paper on or stripping?

Original Poster

Which would be the easiest - my DIY skills aren't great

hukddg

Which would be the easiest - my DIY skills aren't great

1/ Paint over existing lining paper, use a long pile / textured roller as suggested earlier, this 'might' hide the imperfections in the wall, something like polycell textured paint could be used on walls.

2/ strip back to bare walls and attempt to repair the walls yourself by filling and/or applying a skim of plaster, then paint/paper as desired

3/ strip back to bare walls, have a plasterer apply a skim of plaster to ensure there like new, paint/paper as desired

All depends on time and budget....

Original Poster

Probably number 1. Not sure how much a plasterer charges these days. Plus getting the paper off might be a challenge
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just got Kodi now what?1125
    2. Which Smart Watch for Running?11
    3. Iptv33
    4. Boiler Question22

See more discussions