Painting on newly skimmed wall? Also which gloss paint won't yellow after few a months?

Found 18th Feb 2015
Hi, Can you someone share their experience of painting over newly skimmed wall i.e. how they did it & which paint they used?

Also can someone also recommend a gloss paint for use on wood & metal that won't yellow after a few months?

Thank You.
Community Updates
AskPaint
21 Comments
must it be gloss ?

water based silk / eggshell paints do not have the same yellowing problem

also something like this for the new plaster

wickes.co.uk/Wic…179

EliTom
Edited by: "elitom" 18th Feb 2015
The eggshell and silk paints don't yellow - but they chip easier in my experience. A friend said that is because the solvent based gloss dries harder. They also don't shine quite as much. From paint in my own house, I can say that Dulux gloss took much longer to yellow than B&Q own brand gloss - the problem didn't go away, it just took longer to develop.
Oh, and for a newly skimmed wall, you should first apply a contract paint which you can water down to about 90%. You can use that instead of an expensive undercoat paint. Then, you can apply your emulsion in the usual way. Contract paint dries really quickly too so you could probably get that on, have a cuppa, then start with your top coat. Good luck!!!
Try a water based gloss, we were recommended dulux quick dry
For new plaster water down some cheap emulsion 60/40, 40 being the water don't use silk only use Matt and give it a couple of coats
Thank you everyone. Can I use Dulux Pure Brilliant White Matt Emulsion Paint & thin it with water?

Any thoughts on Crown Non Drip Interior & Exterior Pure Brilliant White Gloss Paint ?
all gloss goes yellow just some quicker than others .
i normal use satin white now instead of gloss
the_mighty_webb

The eggshell and silk paints don't yellow - but they chip easier in my … The eggshell and silk paints don't yellow - but they chip easier in my experience. A friend said that is because the solvent based gloss dries harder. They also don't shine quite as much. From paint in my own house, I can say that Dulux gloss took much longer to yellow than B&Q own brand gloss - the problem didn't go away, it just took longer to develop.

yes you are right - however there are now better quality oil based eggshell paints that have better chip resistance

just check the local DIY sheds for "durable" paints

EliTom
When i had my house fully plastered i used matt white emulsion from wicks without watering it down used it straight on the walls some places required going over twice then the expensive dulux on top after 3 years i havent seen any problems anywhere.
Dulux trade diamond eggshell is good stuff for woodwork and is waterbased too. Also remember when it comes to applying water based paints on wood the quality of the brush your using will also factor in how the final finish looks.

Comment

fiona355

Try a water based gloss, we were recommended dulux quick dry

I'll second that. It's a fabulous paint. Easy to apply, brushes are easy to clean and the finish is a crisp white that doesn't yellow. I wouldn't use anything else.
Water based gloss is superb at keeping its color, the one disadvantage is that it is not water proof and stains very easily, if you're going to use any where that people put cups down on don't.
Use PVA 50% - 50% Water.
That will do the trick.
Dulux Trade High Gloss.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Don't use PVA. No professionals or manufacturers say to use it.

Go with the watered down matt paint route.
Thank You.
The best water based gloss i have found is thompsons

Does not yellow and relatively very hard wearing

Costs more than the average but its worth it
If its first coat (mist coat) then just use any cheap matt emulsion. Thin it with water (around 30%) and leave to dry thoroughly (don't rush to put 2nd coat on or it may 'peel') Knock any spots off with a fine(ish) sandpaper and fill any imperections.
2nd coat thin with around 10% water and again leave to dry thoroughly (again knock spots off)
Use a good quality matt emulsion (dulux trade supermatt/vinyl silk depending on final finish required) to do finish coat.
Use good quality oil based gloss which (in my experience) holds it's white colour much longer than any of the water based products I have used. It will take much longer to dry, smell more and is more difficult to use but will outlast water based paint by a long way. Water based gloss has a history of 'yellowing' too quickly (just google it to see)
Also as said earlier get a decent quality brush and take your time, if a large(ish) area then remember to crosshatch (paint in both directions) and rub down lightly in between coats (gloss)
If painting bare wood/metal use an undercoat/primer and do a couple of coats with that before glossing.
Johnatcastle

If its first coat (mist coat) then just use any cheap matt emulsion. Thin … If its first coat (mist coat) then just use any cheap matt emulsion. Thin it with water (around 30%) and leave to dry thoroughly (don't rush to put 2nd coat on or it may 'peel') Knock any spots off with a fine(ish) sandpaper and fill any imperections.2nd coat thin with around 10% water and again leave to dry thoroughly (again knock spots off)Use a good quality matt emulsion (dulux trade supermatt/vinyl silk depending on final finish required) to do finish coat. Use good quality oil based gloss which (in my experience) holds it's white colour much longer than any of the water based products I have used. It will take much longer to dry, smell more and is more difficult to use but will outlast water based paint by a long way. Water based gloss has a history of 'yellowing' too quickly (just google it to see)Also as said earlier get a decent quality brush and take your time, if a large(ish) area then remember to crosshatch (paint in both directions) and rub down lightly in between coats (gloss)If painting bare wood/metal use an undercoat/primer and do a couple of coats with that before glossing.

Thank you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions