Painting over tape

Found 28th Dec 2011
Basicly, i am about to redecorate, but i have a hole in a wall (dodgy builder from a while ago, hid it behind a painting), thats too big for pollyfiller, so I was thinking about expanding foam, but since I want to paint over it, expanding foam would "drink" the paint (previous knolodge of that stuff). I was thinking of a tape to put over once ive used the foam. Ive done a few experiments with masking tape (didnt work, it bubbled) and duct tape (worked but could flake off if scratched)

The hole is around about 1ft in length and about 3 inches (veries along the length)

Is there any tapes, that i can paint over with emaulshon paint (yellow) and it not be as noticeable? I dont care if you can see it slightly as ill hang the painting back up there but id rather it be gone.

excuse my spelling, dyslexic
Community Updates
MiscPaint
11 Comments
Cut a piece of thick cardboard slightly bigger than the hole. Put some superglue around the edge of the cardboard and insert into the hole, sticking the edge against the inside edge of the hole. When dried, flatten with skim or filler (skim is probably best) ... when that dries, lightly sand it flat. Then paintover.

Note: Remember it is there and dont try and drill a hole there later :-)

This method has saved me a lot of hassle (and my deposit) in a few rented properties in the past.
dga

P l a s t e r oO

This. Just use it as pollyfilla, keep it nice and wet and it shouldn't crack. Brush it with a wide wet paintbrush while it's drying and the result will be near unnoticeable.
If you mix a small amount of PVA glue with the plaster it will not come out, but you need to be faster applying it as it goes off quicker.
Patch it with a bit of plaster board. Strip the plaster back to the nearest studs then nail the plaster board onto the studs. Problem solved for the price of a small sheet of plasterboard.
With a bit of imagination you can disguise the hole by painting in it and around it to create an illusion....

google.co.uk/m/s…rch?q=trompe+l'oeil&hl=en&client=ms-android-htc-rev&gl=gb&source=android-browser-goto&sky=mrdr&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1uX6TvStBJO6hAfDgY2aAQ&ved=0CE4QsAQ#i=4
no ones suggested flour, water & newspaper yet

(Professional cowboy 1982-1997 (and the warden let me decorate the cells from 1997-2005)

funny.onion

With a bit of imagination you can disguise the hole by painting in it and … With a bit of imagination you can disguise the hole by painting in it and around it to create an illusion....oeil&hl=en&client=ms-android-htc-rev&gl=gb&source=android-browser-goto&sky=mrdr&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1uX6TvStBJO6hAfDgY2aAQ&ved=0CE4QsAQ#i=4]http://www.google.co.uk/m/search?q=trompe+l'oeil&hl=en&client=ms-android-htc-rev&gl=gb&source=android-browser-goto&sky=mrdr&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1uX6TvStBJO6hAfDgY2aAQ&ved=0CE4QsAQ#i=4

I'll admit, when I first read this thread I never imagined I'd later see a link to a picture of Chris Kamara showing off his art work. How random X)
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

its a small hole just get a couple of packs of filler from poundland

I had a look in there earlier but they had none, but I will check the other store tomorrow. (I am on a little bit of a budget though lol)

TUSSFC

Cut a piece of thick cardboard slightly bigger than the hole. Put some … Cut a piece of thick cardboard slightly bigger than the hole. Put some superglue around the edge of the cardboard and insert into the hole, sticking the edge against the inside edge of the hole. When dried, flatten with skim or filler (skim is probably best) ... when that dries, lightly sand it flat. Then paintover.Note: Remember it is there and dont try and drill a hole there later :-)This method has saved me a lot of hassle (and my deposit) in a few rented properties in the past.

Great idea, re the cardboard. I dont need to have anything there, just the same picture that was up, (picture light above it) but prefer the hole to be gone lol (just looks awful)

Is skim easy to make up? I can easily go to screwfix and get some but ive never used it before... dont wanna make more of a mess (although thats kinda impossible with the mess thats in my wall lol)

scott148

The holes actually not that big,use a bit of plasterboard and then some … The holes actually not that big,use a bit of plasterboard and then some filler.

I thought it was a huge hole! lol Sounds like you have expernace with bigger holes? haha

Thanks to you all for your input!
You just buy a small tub of ready made skim from Wickes, etc. Few quid. Slap it on, and the tub comes with a little tool for smoothing it over. Is dead easy to do and you can always lightly sand any bumps after it has dried.
Original Poster
TUSSFC

You just buy a small tub of ready made skim from Wickes, etc. Few quid. … You just buy a small tub of ready made skim from Wickes, etc. Few quid. Slap it on, and the tub comes with a little tool for smoothing it over. Is dead easy to do and you can always lightly sand any bumps after it has dried.

Oh brilliant, I think i'll go to wilkes tomorrow and get some, esp if it's premade. Thanks for the help!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants