Groups

Painting problem - whole house

I need to find an easy way of painting a whole 3 bed house without the typical roller/tray painting. I had the Dulux Paint Pod system which was never used but cant get the paint pods now. Was thinking of a paint sprayer but bit worried about the mess as its all inside the house. Any recommendations please?

30 Comments

Original Poster

sukysue

Get your friends in to help you and use rollers they are by far the … Get your friends in to help you and use rollers they are by far the quickest

Got no friends to do it as wouldnt post it here if I had.

googley2

Got no friends to do it as wouldnt post it here if I had.

​great way to make friends. be really rude and blunt

Stick to brushes and rollers instead of these gimmicky things .
    And only ever use a sprayer if you know what you're doing .
    Cut in with a brush and roll , why complicate it ?

Googley I deleted ma post bc I realised you didnt want to use a roller my dear , but since you got no friends then have a look at this
    youtube.com/wat…0m8

If you find an easy way the whole world would like to know!

Sadly the easiest is a roller. But a whole house does take it out on your arms.

Spraying with a compressor will give the best results and it's easy on the body. The prep taping up everything that isn't walls takes ages. Spraying is only really suitable for a totally empty house as overspray manages to get into other rooms however well you tape it off.

Esquiremd

​great way to make friends. be really rude and blunt

aw bless you thank you

Original Poster

I have a disability and the up/down of refilling paint onto the roller will make it very painful. Need a system to help get job done.

apocalypsenow

Stick to brushes and rollers instead of these gimmicky things .And only … Stick to brushes and rollers instead of these gimmicky things .And only ever use a sprayer if you know what you're doing .Cut in with a brush and roll , why complicate it ?

I have seen rollers with really long arms that are a hollow tube which you fill with paint. Link below and i am sure if you look about you will find it cheaper.

amazon.co.uk/Wag…MPC

googley2

I have a disability and the up/down of refilling paint onto the roller … I have a disability and the up/down of refilling paint onto the roller will make it very painful. Need a system to help get job done.

No easy way around it i'm afraid unless you can afford to pay a tradesman to do it .Other than that do a room at a time and just do it at your own pace if you can manage it.
    Hope you get it sorted anyway.
    I've been a painter for over 25 years if you need any help

I know why you don't like the roller but it's your best bet but with decent paint a rolls. Paint spraying is pretty messy from what I've seen and you still need to do all the prep work of sugar soap, sand/key, sugar soap, mask etc. I tried paint pads once and maybe it was my lack of technique but it didn't end well. Why are you so anti roller as you can buy a 15" roller and pole and do a wall in about 10 minutes.

Paint ball gun and a skip full of pellets?

Argoj

I have seen rollers with really long arms that are a hollow tube which … I have seen rollers with really long arms that are a hollow tube which you fill with paint. Link below and i am sure if you look about you will find it cheaper.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-0271008-Cordless-TurboRoll-Roller/dp/B001U0PMPC

These things are next to useless .

googley I know someone whose wheelchair bound and they loved the roller on a pole where you push the handle up like a syringe to fill the roller with paint , he did the ceilings himself in about an hour (2) I don't know what the systems called sorry but it cost about £16 from somewhere like qvc

it had an anti spatter shield that covered about 75 of the roller too

I use Harris over sized rollers.wilko sell them cheaply and the coverage is much better. I also use a rectangular paint bucket rather than tray. Then the final thing is to wrap the roller or sleeve it between coats as I can't abide cleaning and reusing. Once a colour is Finnish the roller sleeve goes in the bin.

wilko.com/pai…394

They used to be Harris vanquish I think

1m00dybeaver

I use Harris over sized rollers.wilko sell them cheaply and the coverage … I use Harris over sized rollers.wilko sell them cheaply and the coverage is much better. I also use a rectangular paint bucket rather than tray. Then the final thing is to wrap the roller or sleeve it between coats as I can't abide cleaning and reusing. Once a colour is Finnish the roller sleeve goes in the bin. http://www.wilko.com/paint-brushes+rollers/powercoat-replacement-sleeve-9in/invt/0419394They used to be Harris vanquish I think

Are you sure the colour wasn't Norwegian ?

apocalypsenow

No easy way around it i'm afraid unless you can afford to pay a tradesman … No easy way around it i'm afraid unless you can afford to pay a tradesman to do it .Other than that do a room at a time and just do it at your own pace if you can manage it. Hope you get it sorted anyway.I've been a painter for over 25 years if you need any help

​if your talking about bending down to the roller tray you just need a extending decorators pole, stick your roller on it, no need to bend apart from your arms.

answered wrong post, sorry.
    Edited by: "shadey12" 21st Jan

probably get a tradesman in if be around 700/1000 pounds for the full house they do it a lot faster than i can anyway. or I'm afraid without a roller it's going to he harder and look a alot worse with a large brush. what about wallpaper instead of the paint. or 50/50. sprayers I wouldn't bother unless u buy or hire a really good industrial type and ur good at spray painting.

Paint can.
    Dynamite
    BOOM!
    Done

Original Poster

I havent had success in the past with long roller handles as they seem to be weak in the middle and quickly break before you get anything out of them. Tried a broom handle but the roller kept falling off. Not used a sprayer before inside the house which is why I was asking for comments. Cant afford a professional trademan which is why I am trying to do it myself - I know its going to be difficult and painful but needs must.

googley2

I havent had success in the past with long roller handles as they seem to … I havent had success in the past with long roller handles as they seem to be weak in the middle and quickly break before you get anything out of them. Tried a broom handle but the roller kept falling off. Not used a sprayer before inside the house which is why I was asking for comments. Cant afford a professional trademan which is why I am trying to do it myself - I know its going to be difficult and painful but needs must.

​a decent extending pole has a screw thread to screw roller handle on.
    a cheaper way, broom handle, roller handle, put handle on pole, drill hole through both, put nut and bolt through.

Even with a system you'd need to be pretty flexible to get into the nooks and crannies otherwise it would look like ****.

If you cant afford a professional then try asking on local Facebook groups.
    If you made a bit of an event out of it with a BBQ or takeaway, few beers, bottles of wine etc after as a thank you should be able to get a few people willing to help.
    Edited by: "joedastudd" 22nd Jan

I prefer the flat paint pads rather than rollers, less mess, uses less too, but probably still not what you'd call easy.

The most physically demanding part is prepping the wall; after that it isnt so hard. I personally use paint pads, but I also have a SHORT roller/paintpad pole, that extends from about 45cm to about 100cm; so long enough to reach a tray on the floor without much bending, and long enough to reach the ceiling without a ladder.

I got mine at a local pro decorator chain shop - it used to be called Dixons, not sure of the new name.

The other alternative is a light-weight camping table to put the paint tray on; no bending then.

If you've still got the Paint Pod system, you can still get the paints on eBay.

Paint pads. They make getting great results fast and easy with least mess. I've used rollers, spray, paint pod and brushes. Paint pads are simply the best to use IMO. Get a set with large and smaller ones for edges, and that can attach a broom handle to. It's amazingly quick to paint using these. Suggest investing £6 to give it a try - see link below.

I've found good easy prep is to wipe down walls with wet cloth and cream cleaner (Jiff / Cif)

amazon.co.uk/Har…dle

Original Poster

Last time I got a quote they wanted £700 just for stairs and landing, no-one will do a whole house for £1,000 and even if they did I dont have that much.

muddassarsardar

probably get a tradesman in if be around 700/1000 pounds for the full … probably get a tradesman in if be around 700/1000 pounds for the full house they do it a lot faster than i can anyway. or I'm afraid without a roller it's going to he harder and look a alot worse with a large brush. what about wallpaper instead of the paint. or 50/50. sprayers I wouldn't bother unless u buy or hire a really good industrial type and ur good at spray painting.

Original Poster

No there is none for sale I have checked.

Bobbajob

If you've still got the Paint Pod system, you can still get the paints on … If you've still got the Paint Pod system, you can still get the paints on eBay.

googley2

No there is none for sale I have checked.

Limited colours but some here

and here

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?109
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851337
      3. Vegan (Non-Dairy) Ben & Jerrys now launched in UK!1827
      4. Apples new update610

See more discussions