Pair of oven gloves

Posted 13th Jun 2020Edited by:"mutley1"
I tend to put the oven gloves in the washing machine when they get dirty and one pair has now deteriorated so it has gone in the bin.

I looked to buy a new pair but they don't seem widely available as a pair? Most shops sell them as a single glove? Why do you only need one? Do I need to buy two of those to make a pair?

Anyone can recommend where I can get a good quality pair that are washable and can hold out on very hot oven trays and caserole dishes?

Like these ones, but a pair?

3485014.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Buy two gloves and voilà, you have a pair.
23 Comments
They are mitts. Dunno, I don't have a pair either. Just singular.
Frankie7713/06/2020 23:20

They are mitts. Dunno, I don't have a pair either. Just singular.

why do you only have a single one? can you pick up stuff with just one hand? but the trays can be heavy and hot, so wouldn't it make more sense to pick it up with both hands?
No idea, I've just had the one since I moved into my current home. I sometimes have to also use a tea towel when bringing out casserole dishes. But with normal oven trays it's fine.
Also I'm only jesting. I call them oven gloves as well. I just wanted to start a debate.
Frankie7713/06/2020 23:30

Also I'm only jesting. I call them oven gloves as well. I just wanted to …Also I'm only jesting. I call them oven gloves as well. I just wanted to start a debate.

well when i google oven gloves, they come up on google results, so they are certainly known as oven gloves a pair of oven gloves don't seem as widely available as you would expect and so it would seem everyone is using only one glove and some sort of tea towel.

or they come like these, which i don't like

41086155.jpg
Edited by: "mutley1" 13th Jun
Yeah i've had them before, they felt claustrophobic and awkward.
clostridium_botulinum13/06/2020 23:55

yeah, i think i may end up doing that as wilko for example sells them but only one single one, so i may go and see what it feels like and buy two to make up a pair. just puzzled why people only use one as it would seem more practical to use two for something that is hot and may be heavy.
Go for a double pair

£12 John Lewis

41086518-0Pi8w.jpg
These are really good, i use them for the freezer aswell as oven.

lakeland.co.uk/180…air
mutley113/06/2020 23:24

why do you only have a single one? can you pick up stuff with just one …why do you only have a single one? can you pick up stuff with just one hand? but the trays can be heavy and hot, so wouldn't it make more sense to pick it up with both hands?

I have always just used one, never been an issue, find it easier to have one hand free for serving etc.

I recommend the silicon ones as they can just be wiped clean.
I have had to buy 2 x oven mitts also. I buy the ones with silicone on the outside and material on the inside. You can pop them in the wash and they come back like new. The silicone ones can also withstand a lot of heat so you don’t burn your hands. I tend to buy them in B&M who have a selection of different types.
@mutley1, you don't want ;

41087785-Q9bMk.jpg

....and you don't like ;

41087785-KnctV.jpg

What other designs are there, and what do you have against ducks....
andynicol14/06/2020 09:29

@mutley1, you don't want ;[Image] ....and you don't like ;[Image] What …@mutley1, you don't want ;[Image] ....and you don't like ;[Image] What other designs are there, and what do you have against ducks....

the first one is the type i am looking for, but a pair and not just a single one. i could buy two to make a pair as i tried one of the oven glove we have and it fits either hand comfortably even though they come as a pair and so you know you have got them on the wrong hand as the stitched logo is on the front of each glove.

i was surprised when i looked for oven gloves that they often are sold singly as i was expecting them to be sold as a pair and made to look like a pair like the ones we have.

it would appear people only need one glove so this is why a lot of shops only sell them as single gloves.
mutley114/06/2020 10:47

the first one is the type i am looking for, but a pair and not just a …the first one is the type i am looking for, but a pair and not just a single one. i could buy two to make a pair as i tried one of the oven glove we have and it fits either hand comfortably even though they come as a pair and so you know you have got them on the wrong hand as the stitched logo is on the front of each glove.i was surprised when i looked for oven gloves that they often are sold singly as i was expecting them to be sold as a pair and made to look like a pair like the ones we have.it would appear people only need one glove so this is why a lot of shops only sell them as single gloves.

I'm not sure there are any other designs from the 2 you've pictured above.

You could buy 2 singles and join with heat resistant string
andynicol14/06/2020 12:00

I'm not sure there are any other designs from the 2 you've pictured …I'm not sure there are any other designs from the 2 you've pictured above.You could buy 2 singles and join with heat resistant string

they come in different designs. you can get long ones that are called gauntlet. i don't like those as they go high up your arm. you can also get square pieces that are like mats and not gloves. i don't want them to be stuck together as that will restrict their movements, i want two separate ones but come as a pair. like these for example, they come as a pair as the design on them tells you which hand each glove is designed for. but i need them to be washable in the washing machine and to be able to withstand at least 200 degrees.

41089669.jpg
Edited by: "mutley1" 14th Jun
Satan_Claws14/06/2020 07:53

I have always just used one, never been an issue, find it easier to have …I have always just used one, never been an issue, find it easier to have one hand free for serving etc. I recommend the silicon ones as they can just be wiped clean.

i looked at the silicon ones and i don't like the idea of silicone on oven gloves. i prefer the cloth only ones, but i need them to be thick as i want them to withstand at least 200 degrees.
mutley114/06/2020 12:15

they come in different designs. you can get long ones that are called …they come in different designs. you can get long ones that are called gauntlet. i don't like those as they go high up your arm. you can also get square pieces that are like mats and not gloves. i don't want them to be stuck together as that will restrict their movements, i want two separate ones but come as a pair. like these for example, they come as a pair as the design on them tells you which hand each glove is designed for. but i need them to be washable in the washing machine and to be able to withstand at least 200 degrees.[Image]

By 'design' I don't mean the pattern, more the style.

You get a single glove, and you get a pair which are joined, you've pictured both earlier, I can't recall seeing any other design/style, which design/style are you looking for if its not the 2 you've pictured......
I would buy heat proof gloves like for BBQ etc they are better and more user friendly. Don't see points of these not things.
MynameisM14/06/2020 13:37

I would buy heat proof gloves like for BBQ etc they are better and more …I would buy heat proof gloves like for BBQ etc they are better and more user friendly. Don't see points of these not things.

i saw some for BBQ but they are really big and go quite high up your arm as a barbecue heat can cover a much wider area than an oven. it would be a bit too much for use in the kitchen.
mutley114/06/2020 12:17

i looked at the silicon ones and i don't like the idea of silicone on oven …i looked at the silicon ones and i don't like the idea of silicone on oven gloves. i prefer the cloth only ones, but i need them to be thick as i want them to withstand at least 200 degrees.

What's not to like about lined silicone mitts.

Lined silicone gloves provide better protection than cloth alone as they're waterproof, so if you put your thumb in boiling meat juices and fat when picking up the roasting tray you don't get scalded,
they grip better,
they are much more hygienic, get meat juices on them - you can just wash your hands under the tap with some washing up liquid while wearing them,
they still look new months and even years after you bought them - well mine do anyway:- tesco.com/gro…540
, where the cloth ones rapidly get stained and tatty
Edited by: "melted" 15th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text