Panasonic camcorder

Posted 9th May
Hi guys I bought a camcorder a few years ago top of the range had wifi capabilities and an app that was advertised with it. They've announced they are removing said app capabilities which is on most of the packaging. I remember a while ago some uproar about something similar happening and customers getting partial refunds for lost functionality. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give any advice? It was about £500 at the time. Lost cause or worth pursuing?

amazon.co.uk/Pan…8-2
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
No idea what the subject app does but if it doesn't require an external service / server to perform whatever it does, then Panachronic is unlikely to be capable of "removing said app capabilities".
Do you mean the app has come to end of support?
So you bought a camcorder "a few years ago" but now want a partial refund for lost functionality because the app is no longer supported? I'm taking it though that the camera is still perfectly usable without the app, you can store your recordings on a SD card I take it? If so I'm not sure that I see what the problem is. Things get discontinued after a few years, that's part and parcel of buying these kind of devices.
AndyRoyd09/05/2020 22:12

No idea what the subject app does but if it doesn't require an external …No idea what the subject app does but if it doesn't require an external service / server to perform whatever it does, then Panachronic is unlikely to be capable of "removing said app capabilities".Do you mean the app has come to end of support?

Haircut_10009/05/2020 22:13

So you bought a camcorder "a few years ago" but now want a partial refund …So you bought a camcorder "a few years ago" but now want a partial refund for lost functionality because the app is no longer supported? I'm taking it though that the camera is still perfectly usable without the app, you can store your recordings on a SD card I take it? If so I'm not sure that I see what the problem is. Things get discontinued after a few years, that's part and parcel of buying these kind of devices.

Say for example YI home cameras require servers to be on and active for the cameras to work, if they stopped working tomorrow you would be okay with that? I believe this app will require Panasonic servers to be on and active. If not, that's fine I'm happy I still get what I paid for.
backyard09/05/2020 22:21

Say for example YI home cameras require servers to be on and active for …Say for example YI home cameras require servers to be on and active for the cameras to work, if they stopped working tomorrow you would be okay with that? I believe this app will require Panasonic servers to be on and active. If not, that's fine I'm happy I still get what I paid for.

You may be making inappropriate comparisons. Do / does whatever features this app provides still work when the cam is connected to a local network but the web connection for that network is manually disconnected? If it does, Panachronic can withdraw whatever support it wants, the app feature(s) still function.
Maybe post the source of the announcement for clarity.
backyard09/05/2020 22:21

Say for example YI home cameras require servers to be on and active for …Say for example YI home cameras require servers to be on and active for the cameras to work, if they stopped working tomorrow you would be okay with that? I believe this app will require Panasonic servers to be on and active. If not, that's fine I'm happy I still get what I paid for.

The difference is though that the Yi app is integral and essential for the cameras to work, they would be useless without it. However your camcorder is different. Without the app you can still use it just fine can't you and save your recordings on to a SD card right? Totally different scenarios.
I had the same with 2 jawbone ups I’d bought, they went bust and the things just stopped working as they needed the app to work. Spoke to John Lewis where I’d bought them, couldn’t have cared less.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions