Panasonic G20 or Sony KDL40EX503?

8 replies
Found 29th Apr 2010
I think I've narrowed my choice of telly down to either the Panasonic TXP42G20 or the Sony KDL40EX503.

Problem is, I want to use the set for gaming as much as watching telly so whichever one I pick, it has to have a low input lag.

The Sony appears to be the better set for the money, it's cheaper than the Panasonic and it has been internet-tv functionality (especially the Lovefilm service), it also won't suffer from the rising black level issue that the Panasonics are known to have. Unfortunately though, I've been unable to find any solid information on the input lag on the Sony when using the Wii or the PS3! None of the reviews I've read seem to mention it, which I find quite strange.

Does anyone own these sets and has any info that could help me?

8 Comments

I know there's going to be a few Panasonic fanboys on here but, a few weeks ago I was in the same boat as you. It was either the G20 or the Sony 40HX703. I went for the Panasonic because of the 600hz technology and the TV adverts. I kept it for 3 hair pulling days before returning it and going for the Sony. OK, the Sony was another £200 dearer, but the difference in picture and sound quality makes up for it.

The problem I found with the Panasonic was you just couldn't set it up perfect. You'd get the picture set right for SkyHD on the HDMI and then when you flicked onto the FreeviewHD it looked pants, with blacks looking grey and washed out. Yes, the G20 is probably the most feature packed TV at the moment, but to me, at the expense of picture.

The Sony is also unbelievable for gaming too. We've got both Xbox360 and PS3 and the depth of blacks and the vibrancy of colours is superb. As far as lag, what lag!!!

Last night I watched the Blu-ray version of Avatar on it, WOW!!! The 200hz technology, 1080p came into it's own on this film. There's a scene in the film where they're riding dragons and the picture is that clear and sharp it ALMOST looks 3D!! That's the perfect movie to make anyone sway towards the Sony.

The Sony is without doubt, the best TV I've ever had. Cost me £1022 with a 5 year warranty from Costco, but worth every penny. The wife shouted at me for spending so much on it, until I turned it on and she soon changed her mind when one of her programs came on and she could see how much better it looked on the Sony!!

Of course, this is only my opinion. :thumbsup:

Banned

hdtvtest.co.uk/new…htm

No review on there for the Sony yet.

I'll always say go plasma, and since Panasonic make the best ones these days then it has to be them in my opinion.

Original Poster

I wonder how the HX703 compares to the EX503 input lag wise. The HX703 doesn't appear to be widely available so there will be less flexibility on price.

Original Poster

master_chief;8483109

I'll always say go plasma, and since Panasonic make the best ones these … I'll always say go plasma, and since Panasonic make the best ones these days then it has to be them in my opinion.

Doesn't the rising black level issue bother you at all? In 5 years time (assuming the set is still working) you'll be looking at a grey screen instead of a black one.

What about the set up issues stefor mentioned? I know that picture setup etc is a very personal thing, but if it's like stefor said and a setup for Sky doesn't work for freeview etc, then that would be very annoying.

Banned

Degeneratemoo;8483153

Doesn't the rising black level issue bother you at all? In 5 years time … Doesn't the rising black level issue bother you at all? In 5 years time (assuming the set is still working) you'll be looking at a grey screen instead of a black one.What about the set up issues stefor mentioned? I know that picture setup etc is a very personal thing, but if it's like stefor said and a setup for Sky doesn't work for freeview etc, then that would be very annoying.

The black issue is a bone of contention amongst recent Panasonic owners and it was low of them to not publicise it in the first place. The G20 does it in stages unlike the previous model and goes on viewing hours not time. As the review mentions, the black levels will always remain well within expected standards. It's a small compromise for me against the negatives of LCD.

There isn't a single TV in the world that is fine having one standard setting for all inputs. Trust me you need to calibrate each input according to source type if you want to get the best out of your tv.

master_chief;8483176

It's a small compromise for me against the negatives of LCD.

What negatives are you speaking of? I'd expect a TV of the value of the 2 mentioned to have a great picture straight out of the box. I hardly had to touch a setting on the Sony, where the Panasonic was nothing but messing about. You could get it looking great while watching one program, then when another program came on, it just didn't look right!!

You go around the forums and the only people that seem to have there Panasonics right are those that have paid for someone to come in and professionally calibrate the TV for them, costing £200+.

If you're buying a quality TV, you shouldn't have the worry that after X amount of hours use there's a possibility of the black levels starting to drop. I've never read anything like that about the Sony Bravia range. My HX703s black is fantastic, it has no screen backlight bleed at all and the black is as black as a black cat in a coal bunker in the night:thumbsup:. On AVforum, there's a post that is pages long with unhappy owners of the G10/G15 and now G20 owners that, just like me, couldn't get the setup right.

Like I said before, this is only my opinion. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

The FIL has a G20 so I've just taken the Wii round to see how it looked.

I wasn't going to mess around with his settings (!!) so used it as he's got it :whistling:.

I did not notice any input lag when playing wii sports resort with the (almost) 1:1 controls, it seems much the same as on my CRT at home. There was noticeable blur on the hand cursor and also a greenish glow on the one side of the hand when moving quickly (not present when still), not sure if that is phosphor trails or not, either way I only saw it on the hand cursor which is moving pretty fast and is brightly lit. There was also occasions where the miis heads looked a bit funny, like they were glowing a little, this was mainly on the jet skiing when the mii jumps right up high to the top of the screen towards the sun.

I don't have a HDMI cable at the moment so I cannot test the PS3.

It's worth saying that I was using the Wii through the standard cables, I know that if I use it via component it should look better. ALso worth saying that I tried the wii using both normal and game modes, couldn't really tell much difference between the two, perhaps game mode looked a bit blurrier than normal but that was about all.

Hi Degeneratemoo,
so which tv did you finally go for? I'm actually in the same boat as you were 2 months back. I've ordered 50 inch g20 Panasonic but it seems to be out of stock at the moment and will take upto 28 days to deliver, i've got some time to check our reviews and user experiences. Don't want to spend another £200 on sony ex703 unless it is worth the extra money!
thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What is gearbest like on warranty?810
    2. Android pay set up610
    3. Best 4k tv's for gaming11
    4. Christmas presents510

See more discussions