Panasonic LX15 vs Sony RX100 V vs Canon G7X II

Found 23rd Jun 2017
Hi Guys,

So I was wondering if anyone has advice about the three cameras mentioned above. I am looking to purchase one and most preferably would go for a compact one.

I know that the three mentioned above are some of the best in the market. Is the Sony price difference justified in its price difference? Also, a couple of things to consider. Firstly, I am relatively new to the camera game so the camera which would let me take the best shots with the most ease with be extremely helpful. Second, I would like to do some 4k editing too so the camera which offers slow motion and doesn't lose focus would be perfect. And finally, the general upkeeping of the camera, so buying extra kit for it, batteries and storage cards etc.

Lastly, if any of you guys own any one of the above cameras I would love to hear what you like about it and what you wish could be improved.

Many thanks in advance, it's much appreciated!
Community Updates
AskCanonPanasonicSony
4 Comments
save up more and grab an A6500
Original Poster
MazingerZ

Cheers for the suggestion but that is way out of my price range, unless second hand ones go for sub 1000?
MazingerZ

The A6500 is considerably bigger than all 3 mentioned by OP. Not pocketable at all. I previously had the A6000 and found it didn't get used much due to its size.

I've had the LX15 for about 5 months and have used it extensively. It easily fits into my trouser pockets and I carry out around with me most of the time when I'm out and about. I previously had the RX100 M1, M2 and M3 but the lack of touchscreen on the M4 / M5 was a complete deal breaker for me. In 2017 touchscreens are a must in my opinion and they just make operating small powerful compacts so much easier. Finding the right settings on the RX100s I had was annoying to say the least.

The lack of viewfinder might be a problem for you on the LX15. I personally hardly ever used it on my RX100 M3 so don't miss it too much.

Only con I can think of for the LX15 is the slippery front. It's just not ergonomic at all and I haven't found any compatible aftermarket ones yet. The Sony has an optional grip you can buy which IDs great and I think the GX7 comes with one. For video the LX15 lacks an ND filter but had 4K which the GX7 doesn't.

Personally, if I was to choose again i'd go for the GX7 II. Ergonomics are most important for me. All 3 are great cameras, it really depends on what you value more - 4K, viewfinder, touchscreen etc.

Good luck.

Original Poster
Sid87

The A6500 is considerably bigger than all 3 mentioned by OP. Not … The A6500 is considerably bigger than all 3 mentioned by OP. Not pocketable at all. I previously had the A6000 and found it didn't get used much due to its size.I've had the LX15 for about 5 months and have used it extensively. It easily fits into my trouser pockets and I carry out around with me most of the time when I'm out and about. I previously had the RX100 M1, M2 and M3 but the lack of touchscreen on the M4 / M5 was a complete deal breaker for me. In 2017 touchscreens are a must in my opinion and they just make operating small powerful compacts so much easier. Finding the right settings on the RX100s I had was annoying to say the least.The lack of viewfinder might be a problem for you on the LX15. I personally hardly ever used it on my RX100 M3 so don't miss it too much.Only con I can think of for the LX15 is the slippery front. It's just not ergonomic at all and I haven't found any compatible aftermarket ones yet. The Sony has an optional grip you can buy which IDs great and I think the GX7 comes with one. For video the LX15 lacks an ND filter but had 4K which the GX7 doesn't.Personally, if I was to choose again i'd go for the GX7 II. Ergonomics are most important for me. All 3 are great cameras, it really depends on what you value more - 4K, viewfinder, touchscreen etc.Good luck.

Thanks very much for that reply, its much appreciated.

I agree, I have no idea why Sony didn't include a touchscreen in its device as that would have convinced so many potential customers to go for it. Honestly I'm in two minds, either the G7X II or the Sony, we'll see. I'm hoping they drop in price soon but I highly doubt that too.

Thanks again!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants