Panasonic NN-CT552WBPQ Combi Microwave Oven - Condensation Issues - Now Dead After A Week! Any Combi Oven Recommendations (Preferably Compact Size)?

Found 19th Dec 2015
Help! I got this combi microwave from Amazon Warehouse (I know) thinking the Panasonic brand would mean no troubles and a long lasting device.

I have had it a week. I read the negative reviews and still thought "but it's Panasonic!"....first thing that concerned me is that it would get *condensation* behind the digital display - not good with electronics, you'd think (many reviews say similar, here's one amazon.co.uk/rev…erm ) *I make sure the vents are clear, obv.

Today, I put a pie in on combination for twenty minutes - a few minutes later thinking, hmm, it's rather quiet. The thing is dead! No lights, no display!

Totally stumped which brand is reliable now! It was the compact size and the brand that most appealed - does anyone have any combi microwave recommendations? 27L or upwards would be perfect, and as I have to put it on a worktop, a depth of about 40cm is the biggest I can go.

The laughable thing is that Amazon Customer Service said "You can either have a partial refund (wut?) or return it back to us".

Thank you. Now putting my pie in a "real oven" :(....
Community Updates
17 Comments
Condensation concerns: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R19IZTMIMX62WG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R15YL1H66H2KA4/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

There's a few more comments of that ilk, but just a few examples.
have a look on the factory shop website got mine from there it was a 3 in one
allanukscotland

have a look on the factory shop website got mine from there it was a 3 in … have a look on the factory shop website got mine from there it was a 3 in one

Panasonic? But I have concerns that the quality of their products has tumbled (see reviews). Any links?
no it was Russell Hobbs i bought had to be big have over/grill payed 100 for it
oven
All the Russell Hobbs combis I looked at were too long in the depth (50cm+) as it has to fit on my worktop, can you recommend a compact combi model?
I was going to go for this Sharp amazon.co.uk/gp/…J0C Size H31, W51, D43cm (worktop depth is just about do-able) but it seems the dual-grill function gives you less height internally, which made me cancel the order.

A size of 27L upwards would be perfect (like the Panny), it's just the depth of the oven that's a problem as I don't want it hanging over my worktop - it would have to be 40cm or less.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 19th Dec 2015
my mum likes the combi microwave and she has had a very reliable sharp. she is now using a panasonic which i bought about 2 years ago. it is fine.

you could try another panasonic model with good reviews or go for a sharp.
missleading

Daewoo for £43.49 after 30% discount from Amazon Warehouse. Cream … Daewoo for £43.49 after 30% discount from Amazon Warehouse. Cream colour. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daewoo-KOC9Q3T-Combination-Microwave-900/dp/B0056A4K1YDimensions here:http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Daewoo-KOC9Q3T-28L-Combination-Microwave-Oven-in-Cream/id-DAE-MIC-KOC9Q3TC-CR

Maybe I'm being picky but I'm not sure about Daewoo as a brand (but then, Panasonic turned out to be a disaster!). I think I'll wait. Can see a few had Daewoos that died on them as well.
mutley1

my mum likes the combi microwave and she has had a very reliable sharp. … my mum likes the combi microwave and she has had a very reliable sharp. she is now using a panasonic which i bought about 2 years ago. it is fine.you could try another panasonic model with good reviews or go for a sharp.

I'm really disappointed in Panasonic so I will avoid this CT552WBPQ model - I wonder if the condensation issues are specific to that model or all compact combi Pannys?

My worry is that condensation + electronics = fire hazard - many on Amazon are complaining about condensation - though at least mine simply stopped working.

Yes, I think my next one will be a Sharp (want it slightly bigger than the one I was going to buy). I'll keep looking!

Must admit, now that Amazon Warehouse has the 30% off discount (with some items) some prices have went UP. The Panasonic was just over £80 when I ordered last week - equivalent models are closer to £150 today.
We're after a new microwave as well, as our sharp on is leaking water vapour out the bottom corner of its door. Your experience with the Panasonic (really useful partial refund offer from Amazon by the way, lol) has made me wonder if its worth paying extra or is one better off just going for some cheap korean brand with all the bells and whistles
Think the offer of a partial refund is either the lady misunderstanding me (she had an Asian name) or Amazon's way of testing if my complaint was legitimate. A partial refund for an expensive paperweight is just silly :p! I did say it was completely dead!

I think what's happening with home appliances is similar to washing machines - my first washing machine was £209 (and that was a cheap Currys-only Frigidaire, made by Philco) in 1993!!! yet 20+ years later you can buy "Bush" machines for £149, which is crazily cheap. Obviously something has got to give as profit margins get ever slimmer. In the 90s I could bet a Panasonic combination microwave was £400 or so!

I've always wanted a combi but I don't mind shelling out a bit more for build quality and reliability.

There's three weird things that struck me in reviews about this compact combi - 1) The user manual expressly warns NOT to cook microwave popcorn in the machine* (a few reviewers said cooking microwave popcorn made their device burst into flames!!) http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R21Q4M1AX2ONY/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

2) Panasonic told one annoyed Amazon reviewer that the CT552 is not suitable for "small loads" (???). Can't see any mention of that in the manual! Given that I only cooked a humble pie earlier, did I inadvertently kill the combi? oO

3) The compact size of the microwave means that the grill element has a double function as grill or oven - many say it burns pastries, so it's not an all-rounder in the oven department. Cost-cutting, space saving, or both?

This model was a Which! Best Buy, apparently...

*One comment says that you can only microwave popcorn in 800W or less machines.
Panasonic say that you can't heat "low moisture foods" in this model, as there's a risk of fire amazon.co.uk/gp/…76Q
I've got a Panasonic NN-CF778SBPQ and it's by FAR the best I have owned, it's that good I don't use the main oven, well I have moved house and am having a new cooker delivered tomorrow so I may use all 3, but in my last house this was in use a lot.

I didn't want a Panasonic as my 7 year old Panasonic worked perfectly, but it had a painted interior which wore away under the turntable, I did buy a MASSIVE Sharp R959SLMAA 40L thing, but it was Rubbish! I really missed the inverter system on the Panasonic, as it can vary the power, not on and off like most, so ended up getting the NN-CF778SBPQ and this one have has no turntable and you can slide baking trays in and out of it, I love it :), it's built like a tank and everyone thinks it's a commercial microwave, it's 1000w and just works!
Edited by: "RustySpoons" 22nd Dec 2015
Had a look at it, it's a nice looking machine and I like the idea of a flatbed microwave rather than a turntable (more usable space) but it's too big for my worktop "H32.8 x W53.1 x D53.4cm".

I saw a comment on HUKD saying that many low to mid-range combis now have the grill element doubling as the oven element, which causes burning when baking (I wonder then if it's a bit cheeky calling it a true "combination" oven).
louiselouise

Had a look at it, it's a nice looking machine and I like the idea of a … Had a look at it, it's a nice looking machine and I like the idea of a flatbed microwave rather than a turntable (more usable space) but it's too big for my worktop "H32.8 x W53.1 x D53.4cm".I saw a comment on HUKD saying that many low to mid-range combis now have the grill element doubling as the oven element, which causes burning when baking (I wonder then if it's a bit cheeky calling it a true "combination" oven).

Anything with "Slimline" in the title will use that method, it's such a shame you can't fit this in there, it's a true fan assisted oven.
Well, this model appeared again on Amazon Warehouse and I thought I'd give it another bash (me and my bargains).

Just off the phone to Panasonic and none the wiser really - they reckon this one could be faulty too. Within minutes of me unpacking and powering it on - I put a foil tray of meatballs on Combi for twenty minutes (you can use modest metallic containers on Combination as long as it's not on the rack apparently) - steam appeared on the digital display and it powered off after a few minutes!

It came back to life again when I switched on/off at the power point. Yet it completes the Convection or Microwave modes with no issues.

Is it me, or is this model a dud? I'm going to try another Combi programme later.

As an aside, I have read that the Inverter Panny microwaves can be less reliable than the heavier counterparts, though the technology has been around for 10+ years - you'd think it would have been refined by now?
I think I've lost faith in Amazon and Panasonic. Amazon gave me a £20 refund to make up for all the hassle. Microwave number 2 (NN-CT552WBPQ) has the exact same fault. Powers off on combi mode after a few minutes, yet Convection and Microwave work fine.

It's not a low moisture food, I use the supplied metallic tray.

So - Amazon refunded me £20 to enable me to buy the newer 555 model (Panasonic combi number 3) yesterday. Today, delivered with the door hinge hanging off and a crack in the chassis.

Being asked is "Is it usable?" and "I think you could fix it" by the Amazon rep didn't lighten my mood.

I think I'd be mad to try ordering a fourth of these models.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants