Panasonic Viera TH50PZ80B Plasma TV - repair or not to repair - that is the question

Found 10th Apr 2016
7 year old TV - Panasonic Viera TH50PZ80B Plasma. Now refuses to switch on - just produces the 2 blinking red light fault code.

I see there are repair kits sold on eBay. Anyone by any chance tried one, or know anything about these? If I get it to a repairer I'm guessing he'll do a repair using something like this (ETX2MM702 704 706) - my soldering skills are not good! - but is it worthwhile, or is another repair inevitably just round the corner with a 7 year old set?

Not keen on just chucking it out, but not keen either on having to throw good money after bad on a series of repairs?

Best to repair, or just replace?
Community Updates
11 Comments
I have the exact same set and the picture is still very sharp and bright so if it was me then no brainer really.
I love my Viera plasma. Is is only 42" and I refuse to change it whilst it works. However when it does break then unless it's a really cheap repair I will let it go.
put on ebay

wouldn't bother if you are not that competent in electronic.
capacitor in power supply will give you electric shock if you are not careful.
Interesting comments - thanks guys.

The picture's great actually - every bit as good as the Panasonic LCD that's replaced it. It's only been used for an average of about a couple of hours a day at most, so the failure's disappointing. Maybe 7 years is now a normal lifespan?

Still wondering whether to get it repaired or just chuck it - I need a spare one for when the new one packs up!
Newbold

Interesting comments - thanks guys. The picture's great actually - every … Interesting comments - thanks guys. The picture's great actually - every bit as good as the Panasonic LCD that's replaced it. It's only been used for an average of about a couple of hours a day at most, so the failure's disappointing. Maybe 7 years is now a normal lifespan?Still wondering whether to get it repaired or just chuck it - I need a spare one for when the new one packs up!

If you decide to repair by authorised centre, cost will be £194 at least. But other parts start to go out soon,as 6 years is normal these days. Your choice.
My 42 inch is now 8 years old I think. Was repaired twice under warranty in the first five years then had a power button/Standby fault which miraculously cured itself after 6 months!

The picture is absolutely fab but like Badgerzz I won't be trying to get it repaired again and I've been pretty disappointed with the reliability.
my panny plasma is 8 yrs old and going strong, repair it yourself.
If you're not too confident soldering & can't find someone who is.
Try ebay for a spare PSU panel or someone breaking one for spares with a different fault, damaged screen or whatever.
(Mind you I don't think plasma screens damage that easily) Good luck!
Try fixing it yourself. Google plasma TV repair tutorials. Plenty on video.
Just dump it. That's what I do. Never ever fixed broken TV,as they tend to broke again after this cycle starts.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants