Panel doors at B&Q are too big for my door frames?

24 replies
Found 15th Feb
I want to replace the old battered doors in my house. I have just measured the current doors and they measure up as 1960 mm x 750 mm. The smallest door at B&Q measures up at 1981 mm x 762 mm - on the description it says that there is a 4mm trim allowance on 2 long edges, 6mm bottom edge and none on the top edge. My door frame would need 21 mm taken off of the height of the door and 12 mm off of the width, so going on these trim allowances, the B&Q doors will still be too big. Does anybody know where I can buy cheap 4/6 panel doors for my door frames - am I right in assuming that when you measure up for a new door, it is the size of the current door that you measure up and not the width and height of the door frame? Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

1. Ask
  2. Door
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Door
24 Comments

We had a similar issue. The door was cut and planed to correct size. If hollow doors you just take the strips out of the door and transfer it to the new door so u still have sides. U may be better off with solid doors to cut.

remember, trim allowances will vary from door to door depending on how they are structured. and i measure the frame not the old door

Original Poster

sul

remember, trim allowances will vary from door to door depending on how … remember, trim allowances will vary from door to door depending on how they are structured. and i measure the frame not the old door

When looking at the B&Q website, the doors are shown with the measurements - are you sure that you are not supposed to get the measurements from the width and height of your old door, and not the frame (that adds on around 1.5-2.0" width for each side of the frame)?

You can plane them to fit. Best take it all off the bottom and put new wood in door but the sides won't be a problem if you take a bit off both sides. Try one first. You can get made to measure plastic coated but £75

Oh. I normally cut 20mm off the bottom to allow for carpet no problem.

doors don't just fit, they have to be planed down to fit any door, you may be lucky and get some doors to fit but the majority will need planning. Don't forget many old doors are measured in inches and new ones are in mm so there will always be a mismatch.

Original Poster

wayners

Oh. I normally cut 20mm off the bottom to allow for carpet no problem.

Is this for a panel door (the type that I am looking at)? Surely, if more than the trim is cut off, there will be no interior edge/wood left (hollow space) at the bottom? For the width, 12 mm needs taking off, it says maximum trim is 4 mm each side, so an extra 2 mm would need to be taken off each side - then wouldn't there be a hollow space there as well? Someone else mentioned that when they buy doors, they go on the width and height of the door frame and not the existing door measurements - surely the measurements given on the B&Q website are for the actual doors and not the frame sizes?

Original Poster

eslick

doors don't just fit, they have to be planed down to fit any door, you … doors don't just fit, they have to be planed down to fit any door, you may be lucky and get some doors to fit but the majority will need planning. Don't forget many old doors are measured in inches and new ones are in mm so there will always be a mismatch.

The problem seems to be that for the smallest panelled door at B&Q, after trimming down to the maximum amount that they state, the doors will still be 4 mm too wide and 15 mm too tall.

Original Poster

I'm just googling plain, hollow doors now and at the moment the ones that I am looking at can only be trimmed a maximum of 5 mm each side, so still not suitable - does anybody know where I can buy plain, hollow (to keep the cost down) doors from? Thank you.

What is the door frame internal measurements?

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

What is the door frame internal measurements?

The current doors measure 1960 mm x 750 mm. The smallest door at B&Q measures up at 1981 mm x 762 mm - on the description it says that there is a 4mm trim allowance on 2 long edges, 6mm bottom edge and none on the top edge.

Sophiasky

The current doors measure 1960 mm x 750 mm. The smallest door at B&Q … The current doors measure 1960 mm x 750 mm. The smallest door at B&Q measures up at 1981 mm x 762 mm - on the description it says that there is a 4mm trim allowance on 2 long edges, 6mm bottom edge and none on the top edge.

I can/have already read what size the doors are. I asked for the frame size to see if a standard size door would fit.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

I can/have already read what size the doors are. I asked for the frame … I can/have already read what size the doors are. I asked for the frame size to see if a standard size door would fit.

Sorry, 760 mm x 1970 mm.

These are 4 panel standard doors that have been cut no problem. You can see size from tape measure. http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/Wayners123/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170215_130225_zpsu9djp06c.jpg

And

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/Wayners123/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170215_130211_zpsdxxpd05f.jpg

Original Poster

wayners

These are 4 panel standard doors that have been cut no problem. You can … These are 4 panel standard doors that have been cut no problem. You can see size from tape measure. And

Thank you for posting this, however, are these the hollow type of door? Surely, if you cut off more than the maximum that they suggest, you will get an open, hollow edge/side on the door - how did you get around this?

Yes hollow £20 ish doors. Came from wickes

Original Poster

wayners

Yes hollow £20 ish doors. Came from wickes

Going on the smallest one at B&Q, you would have trimmed off around 8 cm (80 mm off the total width of the door) of the width of the door - was that 40 mm each side, and if so, when you cut that amount off, didn't it give a hollow edge (with no wood down the side)?

Sophiasky

Sorry, 760 mm x 1970 mm.

You will be fine with standard size doors (presuming the frame is square). Just make sure you buy standard hinges rather than modern style. You will be able to trim upto 10mm off the bottom even when they state 6mm max.

So 4mm of each side, 5mm off the top and 10mm the bottom will fit. Will give you a 1966x754 door.

Sophiasky

Going on the smallest one at B&Q, you would have trimmed off around 8 cm … Going on the smallest one at B&Q, you would have trimmed off around 8 cm (80 mm off the total width of the door) of the width of the door - was that 40 mm each side, and if so, when you cut that amount off, didn't it give a hollow edge (with no wood down the side)?

No it is a 686 door trimmed to 682 so 2mm each side.

If you look at the top of door you can see the thickness of wood along edges. See pic. Go take a look at one in the shop and you should see how much you can take off ignoring what that say. http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/Wayners123/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170215_132549_zps5byvdtxc.jpg

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

You will be fine with standard size doors (presuming the frame is … You will be fine with standard size doors (presuming the frame is square). Just make sure you buy standard hinges rather than modern style. You will be able to trim upto 10mm off the bottom even when they state 6mm max.So 4mm of each side, 5mm off the top and 10mm the bottom will fit. Will give you a 1966x754 door.

Wouldn't that leave only 4 mm (above and below the door) to allow the door to shut without jamming in the frame (to clear the carpet) - I also was going to have underlay put under my carpet, so don't think that would work as more would have to be taken off - it says you can't trim any off of the top (you have suggested 5 mm). On-line somebody has suggested re-inserting the cut piece of wood back into the side of the frame if you cut off too much (and there is an open, hollow side). I was going out to pick up some of these doors on Friday as they have an offer where they are reduced by £13 each, but now don't know what to do - if I buy the smallest ones, I don't know if a carpenter would charge a lot of money to perhaps do this, on top of the normal rate for putting up/hanging a door.

Sophiasky

Wouldn't that leave only 4 mm (above and below the door) to allow the … Wouldn't that leave only 4 mm (above and below the door) to allow the door to shut without jamming in the frame (to clear the carpet) - I also was going to have underlay put under my carpet, so don't think that would work as more would have to be taken off - it says you can't trim any off of the top (you have suggested 5 mm). On-line somebody has suggested re-inserting the cut piece of wood back into the side of the frame if you cut off too much (and there is an open, hollow side). I was going out to pick up some of these doors on Friday as they have an offer where they are reduced by £13 each, but now don't know what to do - if I buy the smallest ones, I don't know if a carpenter would charge a lot of money to perhaps do this, on top of the normal rate for putting up/hanging a door.

The problem is not cutting through to the hollow but the amount of the frame that is stuck to the door face. It you cut away too much the door frame may come away from face.

Delaminating a door to internally reframe it is a pain in the backside. I would only do it if I had to make a matching door to existing ones. It's a lot of work so unless you do it yourself it's going to cost loads.

You have 3 options.

1) buy a cheap door to test.
2) buy solid pine door so you can size as you wish.
3) refurb the current doors.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

The problem is not cutting through to the hollow but the amount of the … The problem is not cutting through to the hollow but the amount of the frame that is stuck to the door face. It you cut away too much the door frame may come away from face.Delaminating a door to internally reframe it is a pain in the backside. I would only do it if I had to make a matching door to existing ones. It's a lot of work so unless you do it yourself it's going to cost loads.You have 3 options.1) buy a cheap door to test.2) buy solid pine door so you can size as you wish.3) refurb the current doors.

Thank you all for your advice. I read somewhere that somebody got a local timber merchant to cut the doors down to size and that they fitted back part of the piece that came away (to fill the exposed side) - I might see if I can find a local timber merchant to see how much they would charge (if they offer this service).

u need measure the frame ideally as ur door maybe a bit to small in the first place currently. u can nock the bottom and top to see where the solid bit finishes and see if this comes off completely or not if it does u can put it back in again u can do it urself don't really need go to a timber merchant to do that for u. can't u afford solid doors instead will be nicer and better for u plus easier work with them.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?32
    2. Driving anxiety.1517
    3. Xbox Newbie34
    4. private number44

See more discussions