Panic buying.

Posted 16th Mar
So our family is just buying weekly, but are now going to the shops to find that the shelves are empty. Not because supply has stopped, but because people are panic buying and being selfish. If your cupboards are full of food that you don't need, remember that there are now families with kids who are starting to go without.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Doesn’t help that this site is encouraging. They say they aren’t but look at all the editors posts below. Clearly admin has told them to push the products that are being panic bought.

40120110-sRUGa.jpg
40120110-IU1uF.jpg
40120110-IMCev.jpg
40120110-IC3fA.jpg
40120110-60XMd.jpg
40120110-3MECu.jpg
So this site is adding to the panic buying and encouraging people to go out and spread the infection. It’s shameful.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 16th Mar
ChuckTheDuck16/03/2020 21:30

No UHT. Most tins. Paper products. Eggs, cat litter, pillaged. None even …No UHT. Most tins. Paper products. Eggs, cat litter, pillaged. None even at 7am today, Local corner shop saviour for cat litter

I’ll have to end up eating my dogs food if it carries on
splender16/03/2020 22:09

You may well have a point, this site does make you buy , when you would …You may well have a point, this site does make you buy , when you would not otherwise.Say, a nice deal, suddenly "panic" sets in, when I am too late, the shelves or the online store is out of stock! Even when people buy one each, the stock gets depleted pretty quick for some hot deals. Therefore, support my theory that there is no "panic" buy. People just buy orderly, some want many more, some buy just regular,

It annoys me as they are encouraging people to clog up the grocery delivery systems further and if someone cannot get a slot, they’ll venture out to store and thus spread this infection further. For what? A wild goose chase as we know all of those items are hard to find across the country in supermarkets.

I’ve been told that I am being unfair by admin, but the images speak for themselves. Editors all posting panic bought items. If that doesn’t stink of them being told to push them, I don’t know what does.

They’re adding to the panic, encouraging scalpers and making life more difficult for the vulnerable and elderly and low income families. Just shows how this site stopped being a community long ago and now is about pushing certain deals.

Response from admin in 3.2.1.. (complete with other staff liking said post).
mutley116/03/2020 21:36

i have been trying to find long life milk for the last two weeks at …i have been trying to find long life milk for the last two weeks at sainsburys, tesco and m&s. i am going to lidl tomorrow but don't know if anyone seen uht milk at their lidl stores? don't know if lidl would have more stock at the moment?

My local Lidl has not only been cleaned out of UHT milk, but also all soya variants. I find it very hard to believe that everyone in this part of West Yorkshire has just developed an allergy or intolerance to milk / lactose overnight. I personally cannot get by without it, but yet here I am due to the selfishness of others. No cups of tea or cereal for me then.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 16th Mar
72 Comments
I had the same problem this morning when i went to do my weekly shop, no meat left (only a couple of the expensive cuts/joints) no pasta, rice, cooking oil, flour, loo roll, kitchen roll etc. Ive got very little to do our weekly meals with. I managed to get a bag of the frozen chicken breasts. Its awful that people are being so selfish and stocking up to the extreme.
The supermarkets should of have rules in place when the panic buying started. Just can't understand why they didn't, apart from profit.
No UHT. Most tins. Paper products. Eggs, cat litter, pillaged. None even at 7am today, Local corner
shop saviour for cat litter

No UHT. Most tins. Paper products. Eggs, cat litter, pillaged. None even …No UHT. Most tins. Paper products. Eggs, cat litter, pillaged. None even at 7am today, Local corner shop saviour for cat litter

i have been trying to find long life milk for the last two weeks at sainsburys, tesco and m&s. i am going to lidl tomorrow but don't know if anyone seen uht milk at their lidl stores? don't know if lidl would have more stock at the moment?
Arto16/03/2020 21:31

lol, i got a bit a worried and thought you said that you were going to eat your dog phew...
Count yourself lucky that they stockpiled in preparation for a no-deal Brexit. If they hadn't they'd have had even less stock of some items.

The problem is supermarkets have super efficient logistics network. Minimising the need for warehouses minimises cost. That means stuff comes from producer to shelf in record time, but if you have a run on items you can't catch up very quickly.

And even if people aren't buying 10s of everything all it takes is for some of us to say 'I'll buy an extra one just in case' or just a few people to say 'I'll buy something I don't normally buy' (UHT milk vs. fresh or hand sanitiser) to create gaps. I'm sure we've all been round supermarkets when they'd had stock issues and that's when the going is good.
Arto16/03/2020 21:31

LOL

They say it has to comply as fit for humans!!

I have 12 boxes of whiskas from offers, maybe puss might let me share !!!
plebbygiraffe16/03/2020 21:39

Count yourself lucky that they stockpiled in preparation for a no-deal …Count yourself lucky that they stockpiled in preparation for a no-deal Brexit. If they hadn't they'd have had even less stock of some items.The problem is supermarkets have super efficient logistics network. Minimising the need for warehouses minimises cost. That means stuff comes from producer to shelf in record time, but if you have a run on items you can't catch up very quickly.And even if people aren't buying 10s of everything all it takes is for some of us to say 'I'll buy an extra one just in case' or just a few people to say 'I'll buy something I don't normally buy' (UHT milk vs. fresh or hand sanitiser) to create gaps. I'm sure we've all been round supermarkets when they'd had stock issues and that's when the going is good.

when this pandemic is over, the government should recommend that all uk citizens should always have stock at home and not wait until the last minute to buy items so that in an emergency like this there is not so much panic as everyone can rely on their stash for a while.
mutley116/03/2020 21:37

lol, i got a bit a worried and thought you said that you were going to eat …lol, i got a bit a worried and thought you said that you were going to eat your dog phew...

I’ve got 2, see who eats who first lol. I’d rather they eat than me. The last 2 weeks I’ve been having to do with one meal per day because I can’t get the food I eat (fussy eater)
Doesn’t help that this site is encouraging. They say they aren’t but look at all the editors posts below. Clearly admin has told them to push the products that are being panic bought.

40120110-sRUGa.jpg
40120110-IU1uF.jpg
40120110-IMCev.jpg
40120110-IC3fA.jpg
40120110-60XMd.jpg
40120110-3MECu.jpg
So this site is adding to the panic buying and encouraging people to go out and spread the infection. It’s shameful.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 16th Mar
ChuckTheDuck16/03/2020 21:40

LOLThey say it has to comply as fit for humans!!I have 12 boxes of whiskas …LOLThey say it has to comply as fit for humans!!I have 12 boxes of whiskas from offers, maybe puss might let me share !!!

My dogs eat dry food so it’s fine for humans. Got x2 16kg bags in

i have been trying to find long life milk for the last two weeks at …i have been trying to find long life milk for the last two weeks at sainsburys, tesco and m&s. i am going to lidl tomorrow but don't know if anyone seen uht milk at their lidl stores? don't know if lidl would have more stock at the moment?

Heron had some, not sure if you have one locally though
Asda, no chicken

40120140-qj3fM.jpg
Arto16/03/2020 21:47

I’ve got 2, see who eats who first lol. I’d rather they eat than me. The la …I’ve got 2, see who eats who first lol. I’d rather they eat than me. The last 2 weeks I’ve been having to do with one meal per day because I can’t get the food I eat (fussy eater)

i only eat one meal a day anyway and only a small meal at that. i eat very little but i am also a very fussy eater and i don't want to eat just anything.

i can survive pretty well on no meals at all as long as i can have some cakes and biscuits but i have found out that is very bad for your health as it is not exactly a balanced diet! so i try to eat one meal a day where i get some protein. i don't eat vegetables but i eat fruit to compensate.
Go vegan
pink_elephant16/03/2020 21:50

Heron had some, not sure if you have one locally though

we don't have heron, aldi or iceland. just lidl, sainsburys, tescos, m&s food hall and waitrose (which i haven't been to in the last two weeks) where we are. i had heard people say aldi had a lot of stock so i am thinking lidl maybe the same.
@markpj777

You said, "because people are panic buying and being selfish."

There is no panic buying definition. How many is panic buy and how many is not panic buy?

If there are 50,000 in your town, in times of uncertainty, each, not panicking, though some may, buys 1 bottle of bleach, is 50,000 bottles, enough to wipe out any shelf capacity to empty in a few superstores in a town of 50,000. Of course some may buy 30 bottles of bleach, but we don't know how many people out of the 50000 could have done this though.
Edited by: "splender" 16th Mar
mutley116/03/2020 21:52

i only eat one meal a day anyway and only a small meal at that. i eat …i only eat one meal a day anyway and only a small meal at that. i eat very little but i am also a very fussy eater and i don't want to eat just anything. i can survive pretty well on no meals at all as long as i can have some cakes and biscuits but i have found out that is very bad for your health as it is not exactly a balanced diet! so i try to eat one meal a day where i get some protein. i don't eat vegetables but i eat fruit to compensate.

I don’t eat veg, I normally have pizza and chips but has to be homemade chips and mega meaty Chicago Town pizzas. I normally eat all day so I’m struggling with 1 meal (not fat btw 9st)
After this has all blown over & we've left the Winchester, can you imagine the shops automatic restocking system, it'll be overstocking the shops as it'll think they've had a good "year".
richp16/03/2020 21:58

After this has all blown over & we've left the Winchester, can you imagine …After this has all blown over & we've left the Winchester, can you imagine the shops automatic restocking system, it'll be overstocking the shops as it'll think they've had a good "year".

I can just picture Shpock and Gumtree being overloaded with toilet roll
Arto16/03/2020 21:56

I don’t eat veg, I normally have pizza and chips but has to be homemade c …I don’t eat veg, I normally have pizza and chips but has to be homemade chips and mega meaty Chicago Town pizzas. I normally eat all day so I’m struggling with 1 meal (not fat btw 9st)

your diet sounds very poor. you need to eat fruit if you don't eat vegetable.

i will only eat frozen goodfellas thin base peperoni pizza and i don't eat chips at home now. i used to eat fries at home and chips when i go to restaurants. i still eat fries and chips when i go to the restaurants and pubs.

i used to eat all day when i was working, but it was sweet things and not meals. i have only ever eaten one meal a day since i was a teenager and so i can't eat any more than that as i feel ill if i do.
Arto16/03/2020 21:59

I can just picture Shpock and Gumtree being overloaded with toilet roll

I doubt it, Brexit implementation needs the bog rolls come January. Besides, there will be another wave of this novel coronavirus then!
Toon_army16/03/2020 21:51

Asda, no chicken [Image]

Lots of chicken at halal and kosher chicken places, as well as the off the beaten track butchers.
If you don't want it to happen then don't talk about it. The more is gets talked about the more people get push over the line between not hoarding and hoarding. Eventually even quite rational people will start panic buying if they hear tales of famines going without food because there is no food in certain shops, which is what you've just stated.
The more it's reported on the more it becomes a big deal, the more it because a bigger deal etc and it just snowballs.
mutley116/03/2020 22:02

your diet sounds very poor. you need to eat fruit if you don't eat …your diet sounds very poor. you need to eat fruit if you don't eat vegetable.i will only eat frozen goodfellas thin base peperoni pizza and i don't eat chips at home now. i used to eat fries at home and chips when i go to restaurants. i still eat fries and chips when i go to the restaurants and pubs.i used to eat all day when i was working, but it was sweet things and not meals. i have only ever eaten one meal a day since i was a teenager and so i can't eat any more than that as i feel ill if i do.

I eat strawberries in an Eaton mess, does that count?
splender16/03/2020 22:03

I doubt it, Brexit implementation needs the bog rolls come January. …I doubt it, Brexit implementation needs the bog rolls come January. Besides, there will be another wave of this novel coronavirus then!

Everyone is acting like it’s a zombie apocalypse
Lol tesco Express (orange 1%) milk dated 18/3 but 26/3 behind, didn't fool me lol otherwise hardly any
Biddy216/03/2020 21:48

Doesn’t help that this site is encouraging. They say they aren’t but look a …Doesn’t help that this site is encouraging. They say they aren’t but look at all the editors posts below. Clearly admin has told them to push the products that are being panic bought.[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] So this site is adding to the panic buying and encouraging people to go out and spread the infection. It’s shameful.

You may well have a point, this site does make you buy , when you would not otherwise.

Say, a nice deal, suddenly "panic" sets in, when I am too late, the shelves or the online store is out of stock! Even when people buy one each, the stock gets depleted pretty quick for some hot deals. Therefore, support my theory that there is no "panic" buy. People just buy orderly, some want many more, some buy just regular,
Arto16/03/2020 22:04

I eat strawberries in an Eaton mess, does that count?

it helps but try to eat as much fruit as you can as your body needs vitamins and it can only get them from fruits and vegetables. when i was younger i never really eat fruit at all but now i try to eat one orange a day. not a lot but it helps.

i don't really like fruit so it is not the first thing i want to eat. i used to love meat when i was younger and my diet was pretty much meat and nothing else but i have gone off meat now so nowadays i eat meat to get the required protein.
I've been buying weekly as normal too but I've been told today that people have started to panic buy freezers to keep in their garage to store panic bought food. So am starting to worry what to feed the kidsfeom one day to the next as the shelves are bare
Biddy216/03/2020 21:48

Doesn’t help that this site is encouraging. They say they aren’t but look a …Doesn’t help that this site is encouraging. They say they aren’t but look at all the editors posts below. Clearly admin has told them to push the products that are being panic bought.[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] So this site is adding to the panic buying and encouraging people to go out and spread the infection. It’s shameful.

This Pasta deal is all over Facebook on ladbaby but hardly got any heat on here

hotukdeals.com/dea…127

google.com/amp…tml

My local Lidl has not only been cleaned out of UHT milk, but also all soya variants. I find it very hard to believe that everyone in this part of West Yorkshire has just developed an allergy or intolerance to milk / lactose overnight. I personally cannot get by without it, but yet here I am due to the selfishness of others. No cups of tea or cereal for me then.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 16th Mar
ncd16/03/2020 21:26

The supermarkets should of have rules in place when the panic buying …The supermarkets should of have rules in place when the panic buying started. Just can't understand why they didn't, apart from profit.

LoL, what an impractical proposal for rules.

Next time when you go to a supermarket, count how many items of a few products, then estimate how many pairs of feet come into the store per day. Then estimate, even with a ration of one each of these products How long it takes for the shelves to empty for these sample products!

The core issue is concurrent buy versus batch just in time supply and lorry delivery, the other core issue is people buy more (2X?) in times of expected crisis. Of course, some go berzerk. It is mostly due to concurrency though. <===
@markpj777
Edited by: "splender" 16th Mar
joeydeacon16/03/2020 22:17

My local Lidl has not only been cleaned out of UHT milk, but also all soya …My local Lidl has not only been cleaned out of UHT milk, but also all soya variants. I find it very hard to believe that everyone in this part of West Yorkshire has just developed an allergy or intolerance to milk / lactose overnight. I personally cannot get by without, but yet here I am due to the selfishness of others.

So frustrating
More people panic buy the more the person. Who comes to the empty shelf will buy more when they get chance
richp16/03/2020 21:58

After this has all blown over & we've left the Winchester, can you imagine …After this has all blown over & we've left the Winchester, can you imagine the shops automatic restocking system, it'll be overstocking the shops as it'll think they've had a good "year".

When this has all blown over there will be a lot of overweight people walking around that have been self isolating for several weeks not doing very much other than eating mountains of non perishable crap and chocolate, and looking at their walls of bog roll.
Toon_army16/03/2020 21:51

Asda, no chicken [Image]

No chicken, no fresh milk yesterday in our, along with some toilet rolls at £7.50 for 24! You have more chance of getting things in Aldi and Lidl or home bargains.
joeydeacon16/03/2020 22:17

My local Lidl has not only been cleaned out of UHT milk, but also all soya …My local Lidl has not only been cleaned out of UHT milk, but also all soya variants. I find it very hard to believe that everyone in this part of West Yorkshire has just developed an allergy or intolerance to milk / lactose overnight. I personally cannot get by without it, but yet here I am due to the selfishness of others. No cups of tea or cereal for me then.

people are buying them to keep with no intention of drinking it as it tastes foul if you haven't gotten used to the taste of UHT milk. we may have to drink fresh milk if we can't get any uht milk.
mutley116/03/2020 22:12

it helps but try to eat as much fruit as you can as your body needs …it helps but try to eat as much fruit as you can as your body needs vitamins and it can only get them from fruits and vegetables. when i was younger i never really eat fruit at all but now i try to eat one orange a day. not a lot but it helps.i don't really like fruit so it is not the first thing i want to eat. i used to love meat when i was younger and my diet was pretty much meat and nothing else but i have gone off meat now so nowadays i eat meat to get the required protein.

You said, "it helps but try to eat as much fruit as you can as your body needs vitamins and it can only get them from fruits and vegetables"

The bold text is wrong, school biology lesson says: vitamins are found in all natural foods and drinks. Some vitamins are only available in meat, some only available in fruit and veg, therefore one can use vitamin supplements.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants