Parcel monkey cancellation ARGH

Found 25th Aug 2014
I've just seen the parcel2go free delivery upto 20kg, great I think, cancel my parcelmonkey pickup for tomorrow, get a full refund and pay for delivery with parcel2go cheaper.

Just read the T&C's (not displayed when you press cancel), and it says they charge £6 + VAT on cancellations after 5.30 and less than 1 working day before pickup.

This effectively puts the price of sending an 18kg item just over what it would originally cost with parcelmonkey.

As this charge isn't explicitly stated when you cancel, have I got a chance complaining and getting a full refund?

1. Misc
  2. Parcel
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Parcel
50 Comments

Original Poster

Just sent in an email, and the way the information is displayed seems enough to forward to watchdog!

Your cancelling a service they have booked in they have the right to charge you for their time and effort

Original Poster

emodan

Your cancelling a service they have booked in they have the right to … Your cancelling a service they have booked in they have the right to charge you for their time and effort

Urm well that principle applies to most businesses, but if something isn't explicitly stated why should they charge for their poor layout?

Taz1529

Urm well that principle applies to most businesses, but if something … Urm well that principle applies to most businesses, but if something isn't explicitly stated why should they charge for their poor layout?

I agree with you in principle, however, they probably had already made provisions for your parcel to be collected, and (and I'm only assuming here) you probably ticked a box that agreed to these terms and conditions when placing the order, did you not?

It is stated clearly in the T&Cs they do not change after you press cancel, i guess you never read them before agreeing to the service even though you will have ticked the box.
Edited by: "newbie1001" 25th Aug 2014

Original Poster

newbie1001

It is stated clearly in the T&Cs they do not change after you press … It is stated clearly in the T&Cs they do not change after you press cancel, i guess you never read them before agreeing to the service even though you will have ticked the box.

nobody reads the T&C's. If something as significant as a cancellation charge will be applied it should be stated explicitly, which it wasn't. I've read after 5.30 there is a £6 charge + VAT, please quote something else if I'm wrong?

newbie1001

It is stated clearly in the T&Cs they do not change after you press … It is stated clearly in the T&Cs they do not change after you press cancel, i guess you never read them before agreeing to the service even though you will have ticked the box.

This.

Probably missed the bit about the devil eating their soul as well........

Taz1529

nobody reads the T&C's. If something as significant as a cancellation … nobody reads the T&C's. If something as significant as a cancellation charge will be applied it should be stated explicitly, which it wasn't. I've read after 5.30 there is a £6 charge + VAT, please quote something else if I'm wrong?

But you ticked a box to say you had. They can then assume that you're already aware of it at the cancellation stage so don't need to repeat it. Its crappy, but its true.

Try it, as a goodwill gesture they may let it go, but they're within their rights to make it stand.

Taz1529

[quote=newbie1001] It is stated clearly in the T&Cs they do not change … [quote=newbie1001] It is stated clearly in the T&Cs they do not change after you press cancel, i guess you never read them before agreeing to the service even though you will have ticked the box.

nobody reads the T&C's. If something as significant as a cancellation charge will be applied it should be stated explicitly, which it wasn't. I've read after 5.30 there is a £6 charge + VAT, please quote something else if I'm wrong?[/quot

It is stated clearly next time you might actually check before clicking a button. Why should they tell you again, what you should actually already know since you did click the box. You should read the T&Cs hence the box it is there for a reason.

Edited by: "newbie1001" 25th Aug 2014

Original Poster

miikeyblue

But you ticked a box to say you had. They can then assume that you're … But you ticked a box to say you had. They can then assume that you're already aware of it at the cancellation stage so don't need to repeat it. Its crappy, but its true.Try it, as a goodwill gesture they may let it go, but they're within their rights to make it stand.

I still stand by the fact that information should be next to the cancellation button as you're initiating another charge.

Taz1529

I still stand by the fact that information should be next to the … I still stand by the fact that information should be next to the cancellation button as you're initiating another charge.

Which you already agreed to when you confirmed you had read the T&C's before ordering the service...... Fair does its a bit of a ****er but there you go, be more careful/less lazy in your future endeavours.

Original Poster

Shengis

Which you already agreed to when you confirmed you had read the T&C's … Which you already agreed to when you confirmed you had read the T&C's before ordering the service...... Fair does its a bit of a ****er but there you go, be more careful/less lazy in your future endeavours.

Haha. Why comment when actually all you've done is regurgitate what I already said, then proceed to make a dig. Taking your anger out online isn't a solution. If you were in my position, which maybe you were so you're bitter, you'd understand and realise that when you want to cancel just like that, you expect to have information displayed upfront like it should be. No matter how you want to look at it, that information SHOULD have been there. It wasn't. I'll quote some legal obligations and I'll get a refund

Taz1529

nobody reads the T&C's. If something as significant as a cancellation … nobody reads the T&C's. If something as significant as a cancellation charge will be applied it should be stated explicitly, which it wasn't. I've read after 5.30 there is a £6 charge + VAT, please quote something else if I'm wrong?

I would presume that nobody reads them, i know i do.

It's only £7.20. Who cares?

It's as if they're trying to run a profitable business.

Original Poster

mr.potato_head

It's only £7.20. Who cares?It's as if they're trying to run a profitable … It's only £7.20. Who cares?It's as if they're trying to run a profitable business.

How stupid are your comments? "only £7.20", x how many cancel parcels.

"Who cares?" Well, I care, evidently. If £7.20 does't matter to you, why are you on HUKD?

"profitable business" yeah, at the misfortune of others. I too could setup a company and charge to cancel!

tbh op is a bit of a tool trying to cancel so late when has obviously cost the company some money but isn't there some thing where you are not allowed to hide certain things inside t+c and they have to be explicitly stated?
cant remember but i thought there was

Taz1529

How stupid are your comments? "only £7.20", x how many cancel parcels. … How stupid are your comments? "only £7.20", x how many cancel parcels. "Who cares?" Well, I care, evidently. If £7.20 does't matter to you, why are you on HUKD?"profitable business" yeah, at the misfortune of others. I too could setup a company and charge to cancel!

Sorry but any sympathy I had has now gone. How stupid are YOUR comments? You ask for peoples opinions, they tell you what they think which unfortunately you don't like, and you get all angry. If you've already decided that you're owed a refund and shouldn't have to pay the £6 + vat, why start the thread.

If you'd taken the time to read what you were agreeing to, you wouldn't be in this position. This situation is of your own making.

this is a shocker if true. surely your contract resumes when the parcel has been collected. most of the times courier fails to collect, so can the consumer penalise the company?

op, stand your ground and quote the distance selling regulation

Original Poster

redmouse2

this is a shocker if true. surely your contract resumes when the parcel … this is a shocker if true. surely your contract resumes when the parcel has been collected. most of the times courier fails to collect, so can the consumer penalise the company? op, stand your ground and quote the distance selling regulation

I'll see. I have a collection by parcel2go, by the same company (citylink), so I will ask when they come which they are picking up for. If parcelmonkey then say that the delivery driver came out specially, I know he had 2 orders to pickup so hasn't wasted any fuel etc getting to me.

I'll wait and see what parcelmonkey say. One email last night said it was cancelled, then this morning I got an email reminding me of the pickup!

Banned

redmouse2

this is a shocker if true. surely your contract resumes when the parcel … this is a shocker if true. surely your contract resumes when the parcel has been collected. most of the times courier fails to collect, so can the consumer penalise the company? op, stand your ground and quote the distance selling regulation

Quote a regulation that hasn't existed for over 2 months? Why would someone do that?

So how did it go, OP?

Original Poster

miikeyblue

So how did it go, OP?

Well the driver showed the pickup as p2g so it was cancelled with them, or didn't go through at all, and parcelmonkey said they've forwarded it to their accounts department, whatever that means

Original Poster

Sorry I mean the parcel pickup was with p2g and there was no trace of the parcelmonkey one on the drivers handheld

Banned

Taz1529

nobody reads the T&C's.

Anybody with a modicum of sense reads the t & c's. Unfortunately OP you were caught out because foolishly you agreed that you had read the t & c's when actually you hadn't. There is a lesson here to be learned and it has cost you £7.20 so not such an expensive lesson, next time you tick the box to say you have read the t & c's do so after having actually read them.

Original Poster

konimitsu

Anybody with a modicum of sense reads the t & c's. Unfortunately OP you … Anybody with a modicum of sense reads the t & c's. Unfortunately OP you were caught out because foolishly you agreed that you had read the t & c's when actually you hadn't. There is a lesson here to be learned and it has cost you £7.20 so not such an expensive lesson, next time you tick the box to say you have read the t & c's do so after having actually read them.

Well I'll be sure to update when I get a response from parcel monkey.

Did you read the apple T&c's too?

Banned

Taz1529

Did you read the apple T&c's too?

Not really relevant now is it, but I do read anything that I think is important. It is not me who has come here on an open forum to tell everyone I have cocked up and maybe I have a case to take it to Watchdog (rofl). I can see that now, Watchdog researcher says hey we have a great chance of exposing PM here for daring to work to their terms and conditions....

Even after you have been caught out you still do not read the said terms and conditions correctly, learn a lesson and do it from now on.

Original Poster

konimitsu

Not really relevant now is it, but I do read anything that I think is … Not really relevant now is it, but I do read anything that I think is important. It is not me who has come here on an open forum to tell everyone I have cocked up and maybe I have a case to take it to Watchdog (rofl). I can see that now, Watchdog researcher says hey we have a great chance of exposing PM here for daring to work to their terms and conditions....Even after you have been caught out you still do not read the said terms and conditions correctly, learn a lesson and do it from now on.

You come here acting like some kind of mentor. MOST people don't read the T&C's because they're unapproachable. They're long winded and never to the point. Now, let's hope that you never get into bother not reading them shall we. I'll get you a print screen when I have my refund!

Banned

Taz1529

You come here acting like some kind of mentor. MOST people don't read the … You come here acting like some kind of mentor. MOST people don't read the T&C's because they're unapproachable. They're long winded and never to the point. Now, let's hope that you never get into bother not reading them shall we. I'll get you a print screen when I have my refund!

But whatever you think he's right. They have to be long winded and not to the point because of the way the law works, and if they aren't, people find loopholes and get out of complying with the contract they signed.
I hope you get a refund, but you don't really have a leg to stand on legally, you should play on the goodwill side of things, if you've used them before mention that and say you and your family/friends use them but if they don't you will tell everyone about your bad experience, nicely tell them though

Original Poster

davey369

But whatever you think he's right. They have to be long winded and not to … But whatever you think he's right. They have to be long winded and not to the point because of the way the law works, and if they aren't, people find loopholes and get out of complying with the contract they signed. I hope you get a refund, but you don't really have a leg to stand on legally, you should play on the goodwill side of things, if you've used them before mention that and say you and your family/friends use them but if they don't you will tell everyone about your bad experience, nicely tell them though

I've used them 3 times, and well parcel2go offer the same service as do many other companies so really I wouldn't have to use parcelmonkey again

Banned

well yes, i understand that, I mean mention to them you are a previous customer and by not refunding you would look elsewhere, rather than give them your business again.

Banned

Taz1529

You come here acting like some kind of mentor. MOST people don't read the … You come here acting like some kind of mentor. MOST people don't read the T&C's because they're unapproachable. They're long winded and never to the point. Now, let's hope that you never get into bother not reading them shall we. I'll get you a print screen when I have my refund!

Definitely not a mentor, just replying to your comment 'nobody reads the t & c's'

I couldn't care less if you get a refund or not as it makes no difference to my life, as for whether I ever get caught out well I doubt that I will but I can guarantee you one thing if I was to ever be caught out I wouldn't come on here bleating about it and looking like a nob so everyone else can see, I would simply learn a lesson from it, which is what you should do.

Original Poster

konimitsu

Definitely not a mentor, just replying to your comment 'nobody reads the … Definitely not a mentor, just replying to your comment 'nobody reads the t & c's'I couldn't care less if you get a refund or not as it makes no difference to my life, as for whether I ever get caught out well I doubt that I will but I can guarantee you one thing if I was to ever be caught out I wouldn't come on here bleating about it and looking like a nob so everyone else can see, I would simply learn a lesson from it, which is what you should do.

Stop trying to make out you're some experienced adult, when you can tell you're a kid still. Why not sort out your issues rather than commenting on this? You aren't adding anything constructive, just using it as a chance to vent some anger

HANDBAGS

personally, ive never read the T&Cs. As Taz said they are often very long and i don't bother. But then again most of the time nothing really goes wrong.

Taz1529

Stop trying to make out you're some experienced adult, when you can tell … Stop trying to make out you're some experienced adult, when you can tell you're a kid still. Why not sort out your issues rather than commenting on this? You aren't adding anything constructive, just using it as a chance to vent some anger

Sorry, but you've come across as pretty kiddy-like throughout the thread. As I asked before, why ask...

As this charge isn't explicitly stated when you cancel, have I got a … As this charge isn't explicitly stated when you cancel, have I got a chance complaining and getting a full refund?

... then get annoyed when people say "probably not".

The only way you have any chance of a refund is if they take pity on you, and do it as an act of goodwill. Legally, they're 100% covered.

Chalk it down to experience - next time you think you've found something cheaper than you've already paid for, check your obligations on your original agreement before shelling out more cash.

Banned

Taz1529

Stop trying to make out you're some experienced adult, when you can tell … Stop trying to make out you're some experienced adult, when you can tell you're a kid still. Why not sort out your issues rather than commenting on this? You aren't adding anything constructive, just using it as a chance to vent some anger

Perfectly calm here, the venting is coming from you darling, the only issue I have today is school is rather boring. If you don't want people commenting on your post then why post it, you are not always going to like the replies.

op, don't worry u will get a full refund. just remember no goods/services have been received. for them to withhold your hard earned dough is theft

Original Poster

redmouse2

op, don't worry u will get a full refund. just remember no goods/services … op, don't worry u will get a full refund. just remember no goods/services have been received. for them to withhold your hard earned dough is theft

I'll see what they say. I stand by the fact the charge should have been mentioned before cancelling, not through reading the T&C's. Cash wise, something as significant as that should have been mentioned

redmouse2

op, don't worry u will get a full refund. just remember no goods/services … op, don't worry u will get a full refund. just remember no goods/services have been received. for them to withhold your hard earned dough is theft

Irrelevant. He signed up for a service, agreed to the T&Cs, then cancelled. Those T&Cs he agreed to state:

10. CANCELLATION10.1.The Customer may cancel this Agreement at any time … 10. CANCELLATION10.1.The Customer may cancel this Agreement at any time and receive a full refund providing cancellation is made no later than 5.30pm one working day prior to the scheduled collection date. Cancellations made after this time will be subject to a cancellation charge of £6.00 including VAT as a result.10.2.The Customer can cancel this agreement by sending us a message using the "Help" section of the website - http://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk/contactus2.php

Original Poster

redmouse2

op, don't worry u will get a full refund. just remember no … op, don't worry u will get a full refund. just remember no goods/services have been received. for them to withhold your hard earned dough is theft

10. CANCELLATION10.1.The Customer may cancel this Agreement at any time … 10. CANCELLATION10.1.The Customer may cancel this Agreement at any time and receive a full refund providing cancellation is made no later than 5.30pm one working day prior to the scheduled collection date. Cancellations made after this time will be subject to a cancellation charge of £6.00 including VAT as a result.10.2.The Customer can cancel this agreement by sending us a message using the "Help" section of the website - http://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk/contactus2.php

But I didn't received those services? It'd make sense if the delivery driver had come specially - which he didn't - and had no record of a parcelmonkey order

Taz1529

But I didn't received those services? It'd make sense if the delivery … But I didn't received those services? It'd make sense if the delivery driver had come specially - which he didn't - and had no record of a parcelmonkey order

You didn't receive it because you cancelled it. Why would the driver have a record of an order that had been cancelled?

You've clearly decided in your head that for whatever reason, you're no longer bound by the T&Cs you agreed to, so this thread really is pointless. As said previously, if you get your refund, it'll be down to goodwill, not because the T&Cs no longer applied. I'd love to see how you'd be though if you hadn't cancelled, but the parcel hadn't been collected. The T&Cs apply to parcelmonkey also - what if they hadn't kept to their side of the agreement?
Edited by: "BeerMeister" 27th Aug 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions