Found 17th Jul 2009
I received a parcel from the US, i knew i had to pay customs, yet i get a letter saying i gotta pay them but they are charging me the £8.77 + £8 (parcelforce clearence Fee)

This is absolute BS, why do they charge £8 to send me a letter and tell me to pay, what i knew i had to!

Is there anyway around this in the future, to pay the duty before it gets to this country?

Cheers

1. Misc
  2. Parcel
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Parcel
13 Comments

they charge because otherwise you would have to go down to customs yourself in london to pay the tax before it would get released (mount pleasant is it?)

Original Poster

but £8 to bring it up here!
also the nearest depot is in York!

yeah I had a simular thing with dhl too.

its not always cheaper to buy abroad ;-)

Snare;5775021

but £8 to bring it up here!also the nearest depot is in York!

yeah but customs is in london where it will of been held, parcelforce aint charged you tax mate, hm revenue has, and the courier aint gonna go pay your tax for you and collect your item for free, why should they

Your lucky charged me £15.00 2 years ago

Sloth/Mod

It does state that it's always £8 flat fee + import duty on the customs website, royal mail etc.

People forget though and don't get the bargain they thought.

i think you would be moaning more if a letter from hm customs & revenue appeared on your doormat saying please come to london to collect

there robbing ******* i bought a changing bag from usa as you cant get the one i like over here got a letter for £20 not happy so cost me £100 for the bag grrrr

Original Poster

kungfu;5775043

yeah but customs is in london where it will of been held, parcelforce … yeah but customs is in london where it will of been held, parcelforce aint charged you tax mate, hm revenue has, and the courier aint gonna go pay your tax for you and collect your item for free, why should they

yeh i know i have to pay the tax, im not debating that!
but why is the parcelforce clearence fee £8?

Snare;5775074

yeh i know i have to pay the tax, im not debating that!but why is the … yeh i know i have to pay the tax, im not debating that!but why is the parcelforce clearence fee £8?

all couriers charge at least 8 quid for this service

Original Poster

kungfu;5775100

all couriers charge at least 8 quid for this service

ahh okay!

Original Poster

Syzable;5775065

It does state that it's always £8 flat fee + import duty on the customs … It does state that it's always £8 flat fee + import duty on the customs website, royal mail etc.People forget though and don't get the bargain they thought.

well even with this on top! it's still a bargain! :thumbsup:

that seems pretty reasonable,£8 for her majesty and £8 for parcel force

unwarranted rant
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sweet Sunday Codes22
    2. Skateboarding advice (beginner) 25/yo217
    3. Building a PC Need Help!615
    4. Dog advice please. Think my Labrador is dying after catching the cold22

See more discussions