Parent & Child parking - what is the upper age limit for children in these spaces?

Found 31st Aug 2017
I was of the impression that the child / parent spaces are for babies / toddlers as opposed to children who are more than able to walk?

I was in my local supermarket yesterday carrying my little one (6 months) out of the car then next to me a car pulled up, the overweight mum gets out and (I suspect) 7-9 year old child skips out of the back.

There was plenty of other spaces in the car park, just further away from the supermarket - I am guessing this parent was just lazy and didn't want to walk the extra few metres.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I'm 43 and use them when I take my old dear to the shops.
There is no age limit. Anybody can park in them.

Edit: Although the consensus seems to be under 12 years old.

Source
Edited by: "RossD89" 31st Aug 2017
My children are 7 and 9 and I still use parent and child spaces.

It isnt isn't about not walking as far, it's more about that they normally are safer places so less walking around the road area and bigger door spaces for children who tend to swing the doors open without thinking they might hit another. my older daughter has been going through assessments for ADHD and she does things without thinking and no amount of drilling into her seems to get through.
As the spaces are on private land, the terms and conditions for the use of those spaces are set by the land owner, i.e Tesco, Asda etc. The age limit is therefore likely to vary between each site. I suggest you check the signage on each site to be sure.

My personal opinion is that I don't see why a parent with a 7yr old shouldn't be able to use the spaces. Young children who can walk are at most danger of being injured by other cars by running off or being distracted, hence the need for use of spaces near to the store entrance.

You may find more support on mums net.
Edited by: "seabs" 31st Aug 2017
You also seem to be linking overweight to being lazy? There are numerous reasons that someone could be overweight most of which are nothing to do with laziness.
I think I'd still consider a 7 year old to be a child - they are not named 'parent and baby spaces'. Calm down.
Skaman42 m ago

You also seem to be linking overweight to being lazy? There are numerous …You also seem to be linking overweight to being lazy? There are numerous reasons that someone could be overweight most of which are nothing to do with laziness.

Too much food and not enough exercise usually. Obese people should be made to park furthest away.
Original Poster
farmlama1 h, 44 m ago

My children are 7 and 9 and I still use parent and child spaces. It isnt …My children are 7 and 9 and I still use parent and child spaces. It isnt isn't about not walking as far, it's more about that they normally are safer places so less walking around the road area and bigger door spaces for children who tend to swing the doors open without thinking they might hit another. my older daughter has been going through assessments for ADHD and she does things without thinking and no amount of drilling into her seems to get through.

That's a good response, I hadn't thought of the space around cars etc. Thanks for replying. I just always assumed (and that's dangerous!!) that they were more for babies / children in prams and buggys.
Original Poster
seabs1 h, 42 m ago

As the spaces are on private land, the terms and conditions for the use of …As the spaces are on private land, the terms and conditions for the use of those spaces are set by the land owner, i.e Tesco, Asda etc. The age limit is therefore likely to vary between each site. I suggest you check the signage on each site to be sure. My personal opinion is that I don't see why a parent with a 7yr old shouldn't be able to use the spaces. Young children who can walk are at most danger of being injured by other cars by running off or being distracted, hence the need for use of spaces near to the store entrance. You may find more support on mums net.

I wasn't after support, I was just curious to see what the general consensus was on these things. Up until a few months back I had never needed to use the spaces to wasn't really on my radar. Just keen to make sure I know the required etiquette!

You raise a valid point about kids being distracted.
It just extra space to make easier to get kid out of car seats. If your kid isn't in a car seat then bother.
I've always thought the extra space was to allow you to get children in and out of car seats, prams etc, however I would have no issues with people using them for children still at Primary School, eg up to 11. Most mums still want to check their children are strapped in properly before they drive off and that isn't easy in normal sized parking spaces
Most places are up to 12...so if I'm out with my 11 year old I will park there, usually i have all 4 of our children with me so youngest is 4.

I think your actually rude for mentioning mothers weight. You do not know her, you just assumed and decided to judge.

If I was going to do that about you, then I'd say you 1st time mums think we all owe you something,Prance around with your over priced prams, busy on your mobiles updating Facebook with hundreds of photos of your child, while blocking the aisles of the supermarket....

Have a lovely day, and think before you assume things about others... I bet she'd of been 1st person to help you had you needed it.

Go fill a cafe with your big prams and let people assume about you. 😁
spaces are getting smaller and if it stops some slightly over built parent and their little darling from banging their doors against my car then i am all for them using parent and child spaces, i would even let old dears use them too as they seem to think my car is a door stop for their car
Edited by: "ding" 11th Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions