Parents reporting babies becoming ill with new Aptamil baby formula - new advice issued

Found 9th Jul
Aptamil - made by Danone, have recently changed their infant first milk formula and changed the weight of the box from 900g to 800g whilst leaving the price the same as discussed by @kaney1967

They have been bombarded on Facebook and Twitter with messages from parents saying that the new formula is making their babies sick with upset stomachs and the formula not mixing properly and looking "curdled" when making it the same way as before. Some parents report their babies having violent diarrhea since the change and have had to take them to the out of hours GP service.

2979559-xQ9VO.jpg
They have changed the formulation on Aptamil First Infant Milk powder (stage 1), Aptamil Follow On Milk powder (stage 2), and Aptamil Growing Up Milk powders (stages 3 & 4)
These product are NOT affected, Aptamil First Infant milk liquid (stage 1), Aptamil Follow On Milk liquid (stage 2), Aptamil Growing Up milk liquids (stage 3 and stage 4), Aptamil Hungry Infant Milk powder, Aptamil Anti-Reflux powder, Aptamil Comfort powder

Aptaclub UK which is the Facebook page for Aptamil has issued responses to the critisms of their new milk saying that the mixing instructions have changed slightly and that you need to wait half and hour or for the water to be 70 degrees celcius and to shake the milk vigourously for 10 seconds to avoid the curdling effect. This has also prompted a backlash from parents saying that the advice now is to not make bottles in advance and should they tell their demand fed baby to wait half and hour before they can have a feed!

Responding to the criticism over the reduced pack size an Aptamil spokesperson said: "We have invested significantly in research and equipment whilst also facing additional ingredient costs in developing this formula. Rather than increase the price we took the decision to maintain the price per pack but change the size to 800g."

Also on their Facebook page they have issued this statement

We have changed our mixing instructions slightly and, with hindsight, we could have made that clearer. But nevertheless, we understand that despite following the instructions, some parents are still experiencing mixing problems.

This is something that we are taking very seriously and we would like to assure you that we will investigate every complaint thoroughly. We would also like to encourage any HCPs to get in touch with us directly if they have any questions or concerns.

We would like to thank you for raising these issues with us and we hope you will give us the opportunity to help you in any way we can. Please contact us for free on 0800 996 1000, pressing option 0 followed by option 1. We are available on the phone 24/7.

It's certainly putting a lot of people off the brand with all these reports of babies becoming ill.

There is also a poll on the visitor section of their Facebook page of babies that have used the new formula asking if they are ok or if they have been ill -

2979559-t2JVA.jpg

2979559-6KbvK.jpgOlder pack on the left with the new smaller pack on the right

Community Updates
MiscFamily & Kids
6 Comments
Cow & gate is out of the same vats but cheaper, reminds me of Duff beer vats in the Simpsons.34291181-roMij.jpg
_Rappy_9th Jul

Cow & gate is out of the same vats but cheaper, reminds me of Duff beer …Cow & gate is out of the same vats but cheaper, reminds me of Duff beer vats in the Simpsons.[Image]

My boys 5 month old so I’m starting to wean him on to foods. Changing formula isn’t recommended as this sometimes leads to children having stomach problems which is what this whole thing is trying to avoid.

I will eventually change when I have used up my Aptamil old stock, by then he should be almost 8 months and no longer relying on bottles as much.
“The results have shown that babies take to this formula well and that it is safe.”

It’s only safe until it’s found not to be safe.
Bit harsh, these parents who are reporting the poorly babies. It's not their fault, is it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants