Parents set to be hit with new "nappy tax" raking in over 100k for councils!

Editor 62
Found 26th Jun 2017
New parents (As if having a baby isn't expensive enough!) are set to be hit with a new so called nappy tax by councils - on top of already high council tax bills. At least 10 local authorities are already imposing the tax with more set to follow soon. They want upto £62 off new parents to pay for either larger bins or special nappy sacks to take the nappies away in. Lots of people are saying this will lead to more fly tipping and dumping of nappies in public bins to avoid paying the extra cash.

In Dorset, 7 local councils are imposing this tax and are collecting over £100,000 a year in extra income solely down to this.

Having a new baby is a really expensive time in people's lives as it is with maternity pay making a signigificant drop in peoples incomes and the added cost of an extra mouth and now this adding to it.

Liberal MP Jo Swinson is actively against the new tax saying “This 'nappy tax' is unfair on new parents.
"Family finances are often at their most stretched with the arrival of a new baby, due to reduced pay during parental leave and the costs associated with a newborn.
"The last thing parents need is to be whacked by extra charges from the council.”

What do you think - is your council tax high enough already or would you be willing to pay the extra?

2726375.jpg
DAILY MAIL ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Community Updates
MiscRubbishRakeNappy
Top comments
quit moaning, everything has to be paid for somehow. buy the washable ones if you're that bothered.
Its your choice to have the kids including all the costs associated with it. Ah wait don't the government give you money for having kids? That'll cover this extra cost.
horrible and disgusting almost as horrible and disgusting as the responses here so far.
I think Council tax should be the same regardless of whether you have a baby or not. Surely bringing in this rule could open a whole new area for debate.. Will larger households pay more because in theory they are like to eat more and and as such will have more rubbish? Will you have to declare dogs because your bin might be full of doggie doo doo crap...I don't know how they could impose any additional charges without opening up a whole new area of what should and shouldn't be charged more?
62 Comments
quit moaning, everything has to be paid for somehow. buy the washable ones if you're that bothered.
Great more things to get fly tipped or shoved down the drains...
Its your choice to have the kids including all the costs associated with it. Ah wait don't the government give you money for having kids? That'll cover this extra cost.
They are taking the p***.
horrible and disgusting almost as horrible and disgusting as the responses here so far.
I think Council tax should be the same regardless of whether you have a baby or not. Surely bringing in this rule could open a whole new area for debate.. Will larger households pay more because in theory they are like to eat more and and as such will have more rubbish? Will you have to declare dogs because your bin might be full of doggie doo doo crap...I don't know how they could impose any additional charges without opening up a whole new area of what should and shouldn't be charged more?
It's not a tax, and it's not really about nappies, but apart from that...
I refuse to pay the tax on cigarettes.. So I don't smoke. If you don't wanna pay nappy tax, have less children... ???
Its a charge for an extra bin. Nothing to do with nappies at all.
They can p*** off lol, I'll shove them in others people's bins! Hahahaha not paying it. X)
you_gotta_be_kidding

quit moaning, everything has to be paid for somehow. buy the washable … quit moaning, everything has to be paid for somehow. buy the washable ones if you're that bothered.

Nah I'll just stick them in your bin.
How will the councils know if people have babies? At the moment there's no requirement to inform them of your household composition unless you are claiming benefits, so does this mean that there will now be a requirement that new parents must also inform the council or would it be done automatically by registrars?

Either way, it's just another way of monitoring the population and screwing more money from them. And where will it stop...how about people who need incontinence products? Woman disposing of sanitary items in the bin? People disposing of animal waste from litter trays or cages? People who like lots of packaged or takeaway food? And how would they KNOW who was using disposable nappies and who wasn't...rip open every single bag inside a bin to inspect them?

It doesn't bear thinking about!
Britneyfan

Its your choice to have the kids including all the costs associated with … Its your choice to have the kids including all the costs associated with it. Ah wait don't the government give you money for having kids? That'll cover this extra cost.

Erm no wrong X)
Wow if people actually decide to fly tip because of this, I would worry the morals and sanity of such people...
We have just got new smaller wheely bins and every other weekly collections, we already more pay to accommodate our 3 children, we pay to have a 4 bed house and therefore ££££ more in council tax, yet we get the same size bin as a single person in a one bed house.

Edited by: "OnPoint" 26th Jun 2017
Banned
Having a new baby is a really expensive time in people's lives as it is with maternity pay making a signigificant drop in peoples incomes and the added cost of an extra mouth and now this adding to it.

Can't afford them then stop spitting them out!
Not to worry muggings here will end up paying when they introduce it up here for all the "Stay at home Mums AND Dads"
Britneyfan

Its your choice to have the kids including all the costs associated with … Its your choice to have the kids including all the costs associated with it. Ah wait don't the government give you money for having kids? That'll cover this extra cost.

No Britneyfan (Lol stupid name by the way) They pay just less than £140 per week, which isn't even enough to pay the mortgage and bills. So on top of that you expect us to pay extra to have our rubbish to be taken away?!
We're a family of 5 with two twins (well obviously two!) who are still in nappies. With a fortnightly collection, a normal sized wheelie bin and two sets of nappies we still usually manage to fit it all in - although every so often there's a spare bag which gets secretly put into a neighbour's bin under cover of darkness! So it shouldn't really be an issue for most people with just the one baby.
sarahriggs23 m ago

No Britneyfan (Lol stupid name by the way) They pay just less than £140 …No Britneyfan (Lol stupid name by the way) They pay just less than £140 per week, which isn't even enough to pay the mortgage and bills. So on top of that you expect us to pay extra to have our rubbish to be taken away?!

So in short, you want the goberment to pay your mortgage and bills because you chose to plop out sprogs?
another way of attacking the old,young and vulnerable
It would be interesting to know which political party runs the councils that are imposing this new tax, our council provide wheelie bins for food and garden waste, pink sacks for recycling and blue bins for glass, all taken care of out of the council tax we pay, so why can't they provide a special bin or sack for people to use.
Finally a tax I can agree with, GET IN, invoice those breeders!!!!

john.swfc

We're a family of 5 with two twins (well obviously two!) who are still in … We're a family of 5 with two twins (well obviously two!) who are still in nappies. With a fortnightly collection, a normal sized wheelie bin and two sets of nappies we still usually manage to fit it all in - although every so often there's a spare bag which gets secretly put into a neighbour's bin under cover of darkness! So it shouldn't really be an issue for most people with just the one baby.

Our council has given us 180L bins, normal ones are 240L emptied every other week. Only families with 6 people can apply for larger bins. We are coping ATM with 5 of us, 1 being a baby in nappies, 2 dogs and 2 guinea pigs but if there is a abnormal week like a birthday etc it means we will have to take it to the tip, not everyone has the luxury of a car to do this.
splatsplatsplat

They are taking the p***.

​I think they'll take the whole nappy, not just the p****
CCC007

I think Council tax should be the same regardless of whether you have a … I think Council tax should be the same regardless of whether you have a baby or not. Surely bringing in this rule could open a whole new area for debate.. Will larger households pay more because in theory they are like to eat more and and as such will have more rubbish? Will you have to declare dogs because your bin might be full of doggie doo doo crap...I don't know how they could impose any additional charges without opening up a whole new area of what should and shouldn't be charged more?

Very true. My bin is never full, even on a 2wk collection cycle. My neighbours is overflowing every time, should i pay less in that case?
Banned
spiderbifida

I think they'll take the whole nappy, not just the p****

I hope they don't scrape the poo out?

Look on the bright side. Families choosing to have 10 kids will have to pay more - and rightly so.
Parents are not the only people who deal with nappies this hits the old, the disabled and the young. The most vulnerable. It's foolish to believe that babies are the only ones to need use of nappies
Dawsy

I refuse to pay the tax on cigarettes.. So I don't smoke. If you don't … I refuse to pay the tax on cigarettes.. So I don't smoke. If you don't wanna pay nappy tax, have less children... ???

Having less children wouldn't eliminate the fee, you would have to be childless to avoid it. I don't really think choosing not to smoke or not to have kids to avoid an extra unaffordable bill is on the same wavelength
Lou.Scotland

How will the councils know if people have babies? At the moment there's … How will the councils know if people have babies? At the moment there's no requirement to inform them of your household composition unless you are claiming benefits, so does this mean that there will now be a requirement that new parents must also inform the council or would it be done automatically by registrars? Either way, it's just another way of monitoring the population and screwing more money from them. And where will it stop...how about people who need incontinence products? Woman disposing of sanitary items in the bin? People disposing of animal waste from litter trays or cages? People who like lots of packaged or takeaway food? And how would they KNOW who was using disposable nappies and who wasn't...rip open every single bag inside a bin to inspect them? It doesn't bear thinking about!

How do councils know you have babies? Because when you apply for an extra blue rubbish bag, you have to give a reason why, and if the reason is "child under 3 in nappies" you then give a DOB.

So in this process you give no more information than you already give, you just make a payment at the end of the process.

Source : My application for extra bin bag in Dorset for last 3 years...
Daily Fail clickbait headline. Read the article before you comment folks. Otherwise, the debate is nonsense and preserved that way for all internet eternity.

This is about withdrawing FREE access to a larger than standard bin. The emotive argument being made is that this adversely affects those who need to toss nappies. Also affects wasteful slobs who can't be bothered to recycle.

I had two children in nappies and a dog and didn't need a larger bin. Sorting recycling into the separate (no extra charge) bin left lots of room in the rubbish bin.

My heartstrings are not being tugged by this fake news story.
catbeans

So in short, you want the goberment to pay your mortgage and bills … So in short, you want the goberment to pay your mortgage and bills because you chose to plop out sprogs?

Learn to spell love before attacking me!! If you'd read my whole post, you'd have noticed i was replying to someone who said the government "gives us money" to have kids. I never once said i wanted the "goberment" to pay my mortgage, i was putting it into context, but i guess that went way over your head.

sarahriggs54 m ago

Learn to spell love before attacking me!! If you'd read my whole post, …Learn to spell love before attacking me!! If you'd read my whole post, you'd have noticed i was replying to someone who said the government "gives us money" to have kids. I never once said i wanted the "goberment" to pay my mortgage, i was putting it into context, but i guess that went way over your head.

Goberment is the correct spelling of goberment

You seem quite happy to attack her and you don't want money but yet; "they pay just less than £140 a week","so on top of that you expect us to pay for our bins", implying it's not enough money to pay for your life choices .

Sounds to me like 7 Dorset councils combined are saving £100,000. Can't see it being that much of a saving per council, people with extra bins must be a really small minority. If they put up parking fines by 50p in Dorset, they could probably recoup that much. I'd say that was fairer than picking on families, incontinent elderly. People who foster and/or adopt children will also suffer. What next, charge people in flats a levy who don't recycle because there's no room for the bins? If my kids were still in nappies I'd be posting them through the Town Hall letterbox!
DKLS

Finally a tax I can agree with, GET IN, invoice those breeders!!!!

Us "breeders" may be raising your future doctors, nurses, pilots, solicitors, carers, service providers etc..

What happens when your old enough to need nappies again yourself..!?

Frankly for me - another £62 a year is just another thing to add to our never ending outgoings, just add it to the rest of the taxes I pay (tax and NI on my wages, car tax, council tax, tax on fuel, insurance premium tax, tax on everything I buy, my gas, electric etc etc)
I have two kiddies, one in nappies. Myself and my husband both work full time with no help other than child benefit (£34 per week if your really interested)

That £34 goes barely anywhere in raising two children but I wanted kids, I love them to death and so I'm more then willing to pay for anything they need.. I'm not bothered about the extra 'nappy tax' - your reply just REALLY annoyed me!
popz14

Parents are not the only people who deal with nappies this hits the old, … Parents are not the only people who deal with nappies this hits the old, the disabled and the young. The most vulnerable. It's foolish to believe that babies are the only ones to need use of nappies

Dont forget Kim Kardashian
http://cdn-wpmsa.defymedia.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2014/04/Kim-Kardashian-wears-unflattering-skirt-over-her-butt-at-the-Bikini-Store.jpg
catbeans

Goberment is the correct spelling of goberment cheeky You seem quite … Goberment is the correct spelling of goberment cheeky You seem quite happy to attack her and you don't want money but yet; "they pay just less than £140 a week","so on top of that you expect us to pay for our bins", implying it's not enough money to pay for your life choices .

My argument is that the government are trying to penalize parents of young children. Trying to abolish free school meals, free childcare for 2-3 year olds, etc... Now charging for nappy collections??
Britney's 1 and only fan was implying the government throw money at families, this is far from the truth. It's like all May wants to do is make people with children bankrupt!

My local council is already a shambles, what with recently making us sort our rubbish into 5 bins to save THEM money and to increase OUR council tax, If they introduce a 6th bin into the mix there will be an uproar.
Fly tipping has already been a problem because of this .
hemelskonijn8 h, 11 m ago

horrible and disgusting almost as horrible and disgusting as the responses …horrible and disgusting almost as horrible and disgusting as the responses here so far.

These comments are not from adults or adults with children at least. Most likely children themselves.
Laurah853 h, 28 m ago

Us "breeders" may be raising your future doctors, nurses, pilots, …Us "breeders" may be raising your future doctors, nurses, pilots, solicitors, carers, service providers etc.. What happens when your old enough to need nappies again yourself..!? Frankly for me - another £62 a year is just another thing to add to our never ending outgoings, just add it to the rest of the taxes I pay (tax and NI on my wages, car tax, council tax, tax on fuel, insurance premium tax, tax on everything I buy, my gas, electric etc etc) I have two kiddies, one in nappies. Myself and my husband both work full time with no help other than child benefit (£34 per week if your really interested) That £34 goes barely anywhere in raising two children but I wanted kids, I love them to death and so I'm more then willing to pay for anything they need.. I'm not bothered about the extra 'nappy tax' - your reply just REALLY annoyed me!

Or the person who drink drives and kills a Dr , or a rapist, people are funny like that.

gord22

Nah I'll just stick them in your bin.

​you won't actually, we keep ours in our garage.

I've had two kids and I don't object to this in the slightest. I wouldn't expect everyone else to pay for my lifestyle and choices.
The best nappies are terry towelling ones, they are good for the environment and are good for babies skin. The initial cost may be expensive but when you work it out over the time frame babies wear nappies the only extra costs are liners and if you want to be pedantic wash powder and fabric softner.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions