Parking charge notice with wrong details! I'm in need of advice

Found 6th Apr 2015
Hi everybody.
I'm living in a block of flats. Have residential car park space and residential parking permit. On the 2nd of April I've parked my car and left it on this parking until 6th of April. When I was leaving my car permit was adhered to the windscreen, when I came back I've had PCN on the window and my permit was lying on the dashboard (adhesive probably let go because of humidity or temperature drop). I know I'm the one responsible for keeping the permit visible all the time but hey, it happens. I was even ready to pay the charge but I've found that vehicle registration number given on ticket is wrong (not just one digit) and vehicle make and model is wrong. What I'm curious about is shall I appeal or just ignore the ticket?

41 Comments

I've heard that some people just stick their fines on other cars and people just pay them. don't know if that's what you've been a victim of, but hope you get to sort it put somehow.

http://knowledgeispower-uk.weebly.com/parking-tickets.html

Many parking tickets are invalid and the appeal will be immediately … Many parking tickets are invalid and the appeal will be immediately successful because of this. The people issuing tickets are instructed to issue so many each day that they are very rushed when writing out each ticket. Each ticket must show: 1. Your vehicle registration. If this is wrong, they will not be able to determine your address and so the ticket can just be ignored. 2. The make of your vehicle. A copy of your V5 form demonstrates that the ticket is invalid.

Original Poster

choc1969 - I read this website...and many more. Just curious if they can use photos (they've probably made) instead of parking ticket to claim my details from DVLA if I wouldn't pay or the photos aren't hard evidence. All in all I have the permit and everything. Shall I stay low or appeal. What's your opinion?

Edit: My opinion is they cannot claim my personal details from DVLA just by showing them my car photo. Data protection etc. (oh, I forgot! Parking charge notice is issued by private company not council)

Edited by: "M015T" 6th Apr 2015

Call them tomorrow and say it is not your car details.... take it from there.... do not ignore it!

Edited by: "Splodger101" 6th Apr 2015

Is it a council/police fine or a private company?

Original Poster

sparky111091

Is it a council/police fine or a private company?

Private company. I've called them, they said - send a letter and copy of this notice as we cannot take any complaints over the phone and we'll try to sort it out (what I understand as - we'll issue new, proper charge notice) and if I'll appeal they'll have address and will start sending letters and stuff. I don't need it.

I've tried to check registration number from my charge notice on DVLA website. It gives "You must enter your registration number in a valid format" so there is no such a car at all.

Hmmm, strange, private companies like Parking Eye send PCNs through the post (I had one, appealed and won!). If the PCN was attached to your screen then maybe it was for someone else's car... Just send the ticket back in the post, let the parking company chase the car owner through DVLA.

Appeal it, and show proof that u had paid for a parking ticket.

IGNORE IT

If they want to take it further let them pay costs as the court will throw it out

It's obviously not your vehicle and any fine would not be linked to your address, throw it in the bin.

/thread.

Just ignore it, chuck in the bin. Even if it had your details on, odds are they'd pester you with some threatening letters and that's it. I've heard rumours that they now take the odd person to court but it's totally random and it might be bs.

Either way as the details are wrong they are unlikely to chase you for it.

Original Poster

Splodger101

Hmmm, strange, private companies like Parking Eye send PCNs through the … Hmmm, strange, private companies like Parking Eye send PCNs through the post (I had one, appealed and won!). If the PCN was attached to your screen then maybe it was for someone else's car... Just send the ticket back in the post, let the parking company chase the car owner through DVLA.

I'm pretty sure it was issued for my car. Reason of charge notice (permit not displayed correctly) and car colour are fine. Vehicle make is wrong (totally different make) and model is wrong too (they noted my car make as model) they have incorrect reg number (two of six digits/ letters are wrong - they have "G" instead of "6" and "A" instead of "J"). So I'm pretty sure the wanted to issue it for this car but parking attendant have serious problems with reading and lack of knowledge regarding car makes and models. I'd like to use it as my advantage because to be honest the only fault on my side was that adhesive from permit let go and permit fell down to dashboard (it was even still visible there).

Ignorw it, like everyone else is saying.
I hope you didn't give the company you called any of your details as that could result in you getting a fine, whereas right now the ticket doesn't look like it's yours to pay and its most likely from another vehicle.

Original Poster

b11

Appeal it, and show proof that u had paid for a parking ticket.

not parking ticket. It is all year round parking permit issued just for my car.

If it has not got your registration details on it it is therefore not valid. Happened to me with a council issued one in Edinburgh and when I phoned they told me to ignore it.

Original Poster

All the details on the ticket are wrong. The only way they can trace my address is that they've managed to see my parking permit on the dashboard but than thereis no reason to issue a ticket as it'll mean that permit WAS visible.
My only concern is if they can claim my details like address from DVLA and what they can do to make me pay? Photographs are not hard evidence as too easy to manipulate right? Details on charge notice (which is most important document for them) are wrong. So there's not even chance for them to proof me anything.

Original Poster

Kev`

If it has not got your registration details on it it is therefore not … If it has not got your registration details on it it is therefore not valid. Happened to me with a council issued one in Edinburgh and when I phoned they told me to ignore it.

That's what i thought. I've called them but they said they cannot take complaints/ appeals over the phone and they want me to send details and notice copy to them so they'll sort it out.I don't want to make any unnecessary move which may help them trace me and somehow straight up charge notice details and make me pay. What I think (based on what all of you guys are writing in here) is that dum**ss attendant who cannot read and don't know car marks and makes work for my benefit now...right?

M015T

That's what i thought. I've called them but they said they cannot take … That's what i thought. I've called them but they said they cannot take complaints/ appeals over the phone and they want me to send details and notice copy to them so they'll sort it out.I don't want to make any unnecessary move which may help them trace me and somehow straight up charge notice details and make me pay. What I think (based on what all of you guys are writing in here) is that dum**ss attendant who cannot read and don't know car marks and makes work for my benefit now...right?

Don't be daft, no need to contact anyone or reveal who you are. All they have is the wrong car details as is. Leave them to find out it either a) doesn't exist or b) belongs to someone else.

Trust me you don't have anything to worry about. You should have forgotten about it already.

Original Poster

Kev`

Don't be daft, no need to contact anyone or reveal who you are. All they … Don't be daft, no need to contact anyone or reveal who you are. All they have is the wrong car details as is. Leave them to find out it either a) doesn't exist or b) belongs to someone else. Trust me you don't have anything to worry about. You should have forgotten about it already.

What about the photo evidence they might have?

The op is on the wind up here methinks

.... in which case the ticket is legally unenforceable.... ignore it, throw it in the bin!!

M015T

I'm pretty sure it was issued for my car. Reason of charge notice (permit … I'm pretty sure it was issued for my car. Reason of charge notice (permit not displayed correctly) and car colour are fine. Vehicle make is wrong (totally different make) and model is wrong too (they noted my car make as model) they have incorrect reg number (two of six digits/ letters are wrong - they have "G" instead of "6" and "A" instead of "J"). So I'm pretty sure the wanted to issue it for this car but parking attendant have serious problems with reading and lack of knowledge regarding car makes and models. I'd like to use it as my advantage because to be honest the only fault on my side was that adhesive from permit let go and permit fell down to dashboard (it was even still visible there).

Original Poster

I think that's what I'm gonna do for now. I'll just leave it like it is and wouldn't call or inform anybody. Have my permit sticked to windscreen properly this time so there will be no parking attendant revenge and will just ignore any letters from them if they'll manage to find mym address somehow. All in all there is no car called Toyota Mazda in whole universe and there is no car with such a registration number...at least in England.

I've had the same problem with the council, my permit slipped below the edge of the screen so couldn't be seen.
They wouldn't back down and I had to pay the fine.

Although in my case the parking warden did take down the correct details so I couldn't avoid it...
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 6th Apr 2015

Original Poster

Bigfootpete

I've had the same problem with the council, my permit slipped below the … I've had the same problem with the council, my permit slipped below the edge of the screen so couldn't be seen.They wouldn't back down and I had to pay the fine.

yeah, but in my case car details and reg number on the charge notice are wrong. So luckily the ticket is probably invalid. My responsibility is to keep permit visible all the time, but they're supposed to fill important papers properly. Minus and minus gives plus. Like in maths.

On the badis of what you say, its probably someone elses ticket.

If it was yours, NEVER ignore. Some of these outfits are litigious in the hope of scaring people into paying up - and they have up to 6 years to bring an action.

If you DO get a ticket - or even as a precaution before you get one, check your lease. THAT is the document which governs how you can use the flat and parking, NOT What any management company says. If that says nothing about parking permits they can go swivel. Even better if it describes the parking arrangements and says you have the right to peaceful enjoyment

There's one very useful fight back website where you can get help from folk exerienced in winning these tickets. Check forums.pepipoo.com

One last thing. NEVER communicate with these lowlife in anything other than writing.

Anyone can obtain details from the DVLA.
For a few quid, you go online and fill in a form.
All publicly available.
I used it when someone crashed into me and drove off, luckily someone had got the registration for me

Check with your management company for your flats, chances are they have to approve all the fines anyway (they do where I live) just explain what happened - chances are they won't approve it then

only people that can fine you is the police and council. please ignore the letter. it's happened to me in the past, they even sent a picture of my car to my address. they buy your details from the dvla and try and scare you. whatever you do never give bank details I heard they can just take cash from your account on a whim. you'll get 3/4 letters max, my friend is a policeman and he told me to ignore too.

its not a fine private companies are unable to fine people its an invoice

Ignore it like everyone else says if they do anything supply photo copiez of your valid permit, and the ticket they issued with wrong reg number and they wont have a case they will just have to drop it.

Original Poster

Moonwolf1976

Ignore it like everyone else says if they do anything supply photo copiez … Ignore it like everyone else says if they do anything supply photo copiez of your valid permit, and the ticket they issued with wrong reg number and they wont have a case they will just have to drop it.

Yeah, that is what I've decided to do. I'm not gonna pay this. I'll just sit and wait. If they'll try anything I'll just show them this notice and tell them I've never had the car with such a registration and of this particular make.

M015T

What about the photo evidence they might have?

Photo evidence of a different car than the ticket states. It would never stand.

Original Poster

Kev`

Photo evidence of a different car than the ticket states. It would never … Photo evidence of a different car than the ticket states. It would never stand.

So simple. Didn't think about it this way... And I don't think they can issue another one dated back in time because they'll find a mistake and will compare it to the photo.

Edited by: "M015T" 7th Apr 2015

+1 for forums.pepipoo.com

Loads of tickets successfully challenged.

My view,as a Solicitor.... Bin it

As others said if its a private parking company, bin it. If its council parking fine and there is any incorrect detail at all appeal the charge saying its not your car, car doesnt exist and you will win straight away.

Original Poster

dmaster2000

As others said if its a private parking company, bin it. If its council … As others said if its a private parking company, bin it. If its council parking fine and there is any incorrect detail at all appeal the charge saying its not your car, car doesnt exist and you will win straight away.

It is a private parking company.

Original Poster

davethedude

My view,as a Solicitor.... Bin it

My biggest concern is - what can they do with "photo evidence"? I assume they can do nothing as notice is filled with errors anyway but maybe I'm wrong?

But your evidence contradicts the photo evidence, and you have a permit to park there

dont worry about it! They cant do anything to claim money from you! If they want to send a letter to you they will get the details from the DVLA but as you have said the number plate is already incorrect so there is no way they will even get to send a threatening letter to you. Ignore it and be happy mate.
Post a comment
@
    Text