Groups

Parking fine

Arrrgh, this is so frustrating >‌ I received a notice a few weeks ago from Wiltshire council saying I had to pay £50 for parking my silver Mercedes in Sailsbury in an area without a permit, which was annoying enough as I drive a black VW and have never been to Sailsbury! I phoned them up that day and told them they had the registration wrong (they included a pic of the silver Merc with the plate V506, mine is V505) I said who ever was responsible for noting down the reg number had misread it, so they apologised and said they would sort it all out.

This morning I receive a letter saying I now owe £75 and if I don't pay they will take me to court. Phone up again and finally get through on the 4th attempt, explain the situation AGAIN and she said she doesn't know what to do (helpful) they said they have no record of me phoning, what was I meant to record the conversation and post it to them or something? she went off and came back, said the woman I spoke to last time (okay, so now they DO have a record of me phoning?) was in a meeting and could she phone back later. It's the way she kept saying because it had gone through to the 2nd stage she didn't know if there was anything they could do about it which gets me.

27 Comments

they cant really do anthing can they if its not your car? you have done your bit and told them its up to them to sort it out

even in its final stage its not your car end of story

You don't have to pay lol. There is no way they can make you pay so don't worry about it.
    If anything you've notified them twice so you can just ignore any letters which come through the post.

They would'nt take you to court since they know they'll lose :lol:

how have they got your address? if its not yr car than they couldn't get it from the cars registration. V odd

Send them a fine in the form of your phone bill marking out the cost of the calls to them!

how have they got your address? if its not yr car than they couldn't get … how have they got your address? if its not yr car than they couldn't get it from the cars registration. V odd

with the plate V506, mine is V505

they wrote down the reg wrong when they issued the ticket.

If you ever have a dispute or complaint on the phone always take a name and write down the time you called.

Original Poster

They presumably got my address from the DVLA since they have my registration (all be it, not off the car they photographed :roll: )

The notice has my reg and address, a different car, and a different tax disc number. To be honest I couldn't stop myself from laughing, I kept saying it's not that bloody hard to understand I don't know why they don't know what to do :oops:

Oh and I like that idea Banana, I was actually thinking I should send them a fine for the emotional distress caused :-D

Banana79;5187788

Send them a fine in the form of your phone bill marking out the cost of … Send them a fine in the form of your phone bill marking out the cost of the calls to them!

me likey!

sue them for causing unessecary stress :thumbsup:

Strange one, that they continued on when they couldn't find the correct car and driver from the DVLA address database.

Original Poster

Adam2050;5187866

Strange one, that they continued on when they couldn't find the correct … Strange one, that they continued on when they couldn't find the correct car and driver from the DVLA address database.

Yeah, it's the fact all their records (including a pic) list a silver Mercedes, yet when they got my details off the DVLA it would have said black VW which gets me, you'd think someone would have put two and two together :roll: as soon as I got it I looked at the pic and could clearly see the numberplate was V506 not V505.

Got to go out now, I told them to phone up late afternoon so will update this when I hear back

Let em take you to court - then when it gets laughed out and they receive their rollocking for wasting the courts time - counter sue for loss of earnings, mental trauma, emotional distress . . . "your honour, i'm too scared to park anywhere anymore" that kind of thing.

That'll learn em.

That'll learn em good.

drive your car straight through the doors smashing into their reception area

I would say "Send me the Mercedes with the key and paperwork and I'll pay the fine" or something along those lines.

I like mbgringo idea.

I see things now, notices on my windscreen all the time , I have nightmares, etc, etc

mbgringo;5187935

Let em take you to court - then when it gets laughed out and they receive … Let em take you to court - then when it gets laughed out and they receive their rollocking for wasting the courts time - counter sue for loss of earnings, mental trauma, emotional distress . . . "your honour, i'm too scared to park anywhere anymore" that kind of thing. That'll learn em.That'll learn em good.

+1. Absolutely. The judge would have a field day giving the council a b*ll*cking, while you're able to prove you've done everything right and in good time. It'll teach them right and the expense of that would force them to sort their system out before they do it to somebidy else.

I had the same problem.

Parked under a sign that said "FINE FOR PARKING" - so I thought it was fine to park there

mbgringo;5187935

Let em take you to court - then when it gets laughed out and they receive … Let em take you to court - then when it gets laughed out and they receive their rollocking for wasting the courts time - counter sue for loss of earnings, mental trauma, emotional distress . . . "your honour, i'm too scared to park anywhere anymore" that kind of thing. That'll learn em.That'll learn em good.

+1

SunTzu;5187954

drive your car straight through the doors smashing into their reception … drive your car straight through the doors smashing into their reception area

Rather pay the fine

as with all parking fines theres this wall of bureaucracy to get through... hate that.

wish you luck in getting it all sorted out x x

SunTzu;5187954

drive your car straight through the doors smashing into their reception … drive your car straight through the doors smashing into their reception area

lol

Banned

hahahaha go to court and have a nice day out .. and then claim back for the waste of your time and injury and personal anguish.. and then go into rehab with the stress

It won't be a judge it will be a magistrate.
    Don't waste your time contacting them again, you already have done once. Wait until the court summons, then turn up in court and wait for the council solictor to state to the magistrate that you are the registered keeper for xxxx. You'll be asked to confirm this and when you say no and produce your log book and photo of the car, they will look a right **** and the magistrate will dismiss the case.
    Then you can claim costs, damages and loss of earnings.

If the council's solicitor is worth their salt, they will check this before hand anyway and it will be dropped.

4leafed;5188601

+1. Absolutely. The judge would have a field day giving the council a … +1. Absolutely. The judge would have a field day giving the council a b*ll*cking, while you're able to prove you've done everything right and in good time. It'll teach them right and the expense of that would force them to sort their system out before they do it to somebidy else.

suchafunkymonkey;5189313

It won't be a judge it will be a magistrate. Don't waste your time … It won't be a judge it will be a magistrate. Don't waste your time contacting them again, you already have done once. Wait until the court summons, then turn up in court and wait for the council solictor to state to the magistrate that you are the registered keeper for xxxx. You'll be asked to confirm this and when you say no and produce your log book and photo of the car, they will look a right **** and the magistrate will dismiss the case. Then you can claim costs, damages and loss of earnings. If the council's solicitor is worth their salt, they will check this before hand anyway and it will be dropped.

Excellent realistic advice. Would just like to add..........always write a letter, DO IT. Stating the facts in ONE page, recorded delivery. End of story. It is a hassle but believe me it saves a lot of time later on when they say "no record of call" and they are giving you the run around, call back etc. Saves a lot of your time in the long run. You can NEVER rely on anything anyone says in a phone call. Sad but true

Original Poster

haha, some very good ideas here, I almost want it to go further to try them out :-D just got in and there is no message on the machine so hopefully they call later.

If it was genuinely a fine for me, I would have done things officially. I though I was just giving them a courtesy call to let them know they have made a balls up, and recommended perhaps they let the poor sod who owns the Merc know before a court summons drops through his door in the future.

Original Poster

Just gave them a call as I assume they close in 20 mins and I won't be in most of tomorrow, they said she's still in the meeting :roll: pretty long meeting.

JimmyW;5190104

Just gave them a call as I assume they close in 20 mins and I won't be in … Just gave them a call as I assume they close in 20 mins and I won't be in most of tomorrow, they said she's still in the meeting :roll: pretty long meeting.

See what I mean :thumbsup:

Original Poster

You're right, but at the end of the day it's their problem not mine. If they can't pull their finger out then it's only detrimental to them, I know if I was the driver of the Silver Merc I'd feel pretty confident of getting out of it without paying a penny, the initial penalty was issued over 4 months ago now and it took 3 for the first letter, surely there is some sort of time limit.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…912
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047121
      3. word association Game73944494
      4. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1417

See more discussions