Parking fine for parking on unmarked road because it is a parking permit area

Found 21st Dec 2017
Hello there, i was looking for advice here. I was meeting my brother at a cafe he goes to and there is a residential road opposite it. He parkes his car ther and said its free parking. I drove further down the road and parked on a free space which had no dropped curb, lines or even parking bays. Got back an hour later to see a ticket on his car. The. Went to my car to discover I got one too. On the way out i saw just sign saying parking holdera only. Can i appeal? I hardly go to this area but everywhere else i go theres clear parking bays for permit holders and no lines mean free parking.

Any advice will help.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
First thing will be to check the code on the ticket and Google the exact reason u got the ticket for. You will then be better able to review your options
If there are signs on the pavement that have parking for residents only, you wont be able to do anything. If there are no signs near by I would take pics and appeal.
If the sign is poorly placed / visible and your not know to area you can appeal on those groubds
qwales11 m ago

If there are signs on the pavement that have parking for residents only, …If there are signs on the pavement that have parking for residents only, you wont be able to do anything. If there are no signs near by I would take pics and appeal.

There is a sign on a post
32859460-yJLx2.jpg32859460-rVQnF.jpgBut no markings at all as shows
If there is a 'permit parking past this point' sign on the road in to the area, and repeater 'permit parking' signs in the area, then road markings are no longer necessary. If the signs are missing or hidden by foliage you might appeal.
This might not help but have a look at MSE's Parking Ticket Appeals article.

The following section might also help, considering your circumstances.

moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/parking-ticket-appeals

You could also claim there were mitigating circumstances. The last two mentioned in the above article might be your best bet. No harm trying, even if you don't get anywhere with this.

The following might help as well for future reference.

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/parking-rules
Edited by: "LemonHead" 21st Dec 2017
If the area is permit holder then it is for residents. There is no requirement that the area must have parking bays for permit holders to apply. My dad lives on a private estate where there are no parking bays but it is controlled parking for residents only with permits.
None of the roads in my town that I can think of have road marking for permit parking , it's all via tiny signs on posts and in some cases a larger sign on entering specific areas .
tinkerbellian24 m ago

None of the roads in my town that I can think of have road marking for …None of the roads in my town that I can think of have road marking for permit parking , it's all via tiny signs on posts and in some cases a larger sign on entering specific areas .

Same where I live aswell.
tinkerbellian3 h, 4 m ago

None of the roads in my town that I can think of have road marking for …None of the roads in my town that I can think of have road marking for permit parking , it's all via tiny signs on posts and in some cases a larger sign on entering specific areas .

Until today ive never seen a road without marking that had parking permit holders only. My road doesnt have any so it gets abused by people who work nearby. Sometimes even park in front of my dropped curb blocking halfof my drive.
google.co.uk/map…656

If that's the same road then every lamppost + additional signs and on adjoining roads all have "Permit holders only"

OP doesn't have a leg to stand on...so to speak
philphil616 h, 35 m ago

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4839888,-0.1039462,3a,75y,66.39h,71.3t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s1fR2MqBezd6tY9wsJ0KqNw!2e0!6s//geo3.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=1fR2MqBezd6tY9wsJ0KqNw&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=218.23828&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656If that's the same road then every lamppost + additional signs and on adjoining roads all have "Permit holders only" OP doesn't have a leg to stand on...so to speak

Agreed. The big signs on every lamp post and permits on every car window are the big clue
philphil618 h, 8 m ago

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4839888,-0.1039462,3a,75y,66.39h,71.3t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s1fR2MqBezd6tY9wsJ0KqNw!2e0!6s//geo3.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=1fR2MqBezd6tY9wsJ0KqNw&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=218.23828&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656If that's the same road then every lamppost + additional signs and on adjoining roads all have "Permit holders only" OP doesn't have a leg to stand on...so to speak

Not. The same road. And the road you posted has road marking too. Has parking bay whoch means theres restrictions. Look for fleming road Southampton
montana7848 m ago

Not. The same road. And the road you posted has road marking too. Has …Not. The same road. And the road you posted has road marking too. Has parking bay whoch means theres restrictions. Look for fleming road Southampton

That has signs every 20 g 30 yards so perfectly enforceable. No need for marked bays

However, if the ticket says parked in a residents bay then there must be a bay marked out, otherwise it's "parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours"
Just have to suck it up and pay unfortunately
32872961-HXXvY.jpggoogle.co.uk/map…656

Two very clear signs at the beginning of the cul-de-sac + additional signs on almost every lamppost

It may not have been the correct Fleming Road (in my first comment) but clearly the OP has issues because both roads are clearly signposted

In the voice of Oliver Queen "You have failed...."
Edited by: "philphil61" 22nd Dec 2017
Op dont bother coming on here asking for advice everybody wants you to fail and gloat its always the same.
Edited by: "waterloo" 22nd Dec 2017
waterloo22nd Dec

Op dont bother coming on here asking for advice everybody wants you to …Op dont bother coming on here asking for advice everybody wants you to fail and gloat its always the same.

Was going to ask "Are you a millennial?" but then thought best not ask as you might be offended

Anyway, ignoring all that, could you please identify where anyone in this thread has gloated?

The OP came on here asking whether there was anyway of avoiding the act of accepting responsibility for their actions.

After providing clarification and/or specific factual information almost every other member ITT, except you, seems to come up with the same response as I did that the OP ignored the clearly displayed road signs and doesn't have a realistic excuse of avoiding their responsibility.

Please address this mistake by giving reasons why, if any, the OP shouldn't pay the fine?
Edited by: "philphil61" 23rd Dec 2017
I’ve never seen a resident only parking without marked bays before, visit pepipoo.com you’ll get excellent advice from the community there
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions