Parking like a pillock - allocated parking

Found 16th Mar
Hi, I’m after a bit of advise! We own our flat and have an allocated space as detailed on the deeds, which I’ve been using.
However, in the last 6 weeks or so, the resident using the space next to ours has taken exception to my parking there and has started parking half in my space, half in hers. I always make sure I’m within the lines and park considerately.
She has previously left a note on my car advising I should park more considerately (not sure what more I can do?) and last week confronted me when I got home, telling me to park anywhere because she can’t get in her car.
It isn’t about the space, but it’s allocated and I don’t want to be the one to upset another neighbour because this one wants more space to open her door.
Where do I stand here? Don’t much fancy being shouted and sworn at again, but would very much like to park in the space we own...
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Seems the issue is the size of the parking space. Go and see her and suggest you agree to park 'passenger side to passenger side', then you can park closer leaving more space for the driver to get out. If you have passengers they can get our before the car is parked. We did this with my neighbours and it all goes fine now.
Edited by: "mrty" 16th Mar
your too nice. park in your space if she screams at you call the police or report to council asb dept. you've paid for that spot so use it
25 Comments
Have you always used the space but the issue has only started in the last 6 weeks? Has something changed in that time, one of you got a bigger car etc.? It's your space so you have every right to use it, I personally would just ignore them (or possibly be equally as childish about parking ) but in the interests of community harmony (!) I'd go round and find out exactly what the problem is and see if it can be sorted.
We’ve used it since we moved in in November, it’s only started in the last six weeks or so. There was a car parked on the other side of me that looks similar to my OHs car (but isn’t) that parked badly which meant I’d had to park closer to her line but still not over it. Other than that, no new cars, no dings, nothing!
i did have a childish moment and parked a bit too close and got myself stuck in my car that’s the point where she confronted me.
ive tried being civil, I just explained to her if she parks in her space and I park in mine, there’s no issue. Her response was I should park anywhere then she can get in her car 🧐
dont get me wrong, if she was disabled or had a car seat or whatever I wouldn’t mind, but as I see it, she’s just being a Wally.
Im totally with you on ignoring her, but at the moment I can’t use my space at all and it’s hacked me off a bit
your too nice. park in your space if she screams at you call the police or report to council asb dept. you've paid for that spot so use it
Seems the issue is the size of the parking space. Go and see her and suggest you agree to park 'passenger side to passenger side', then you can park closer leaving more space for the driver to get out. If you have passengers they can get our before the car is parked. We did this with my neighbours and it all goes fine now.
Edited by: "mrty" 16th Mar
Use a 3rd party to sort this out.
Ring or send a letter to the flats managing agents (the ones you pay the service charge to). Tell them that there has been problems regarding allocated car park spaces and other residents not respecting the fact that everyone has the same right to use their spaces, and instruct them to send out a letter to each flat with a map of the car park (should be within the terms and conditions of the lease) and asking all residents to be neighbourly and respect each others rights to park in their own designated space etc. Also ask them to put a copy of the car park map (with each space marked with respective flat no.) up in the communal hallway so that there can be no disputes in future.
That way if your neighbour starts again you can refer her to the letter and the notice board and if she has a problem to take it up with the managing agents.
If the spaces are not numbered then you could ask the managing agents to look into getting them marked, again to highlight who has the right to park where.
The only other physical alternative would be to put a lockable parking post in on the front corner, so that she can’t park over the white line.
Photos plz
People still say pillock? Lol
There seems to be a lot of stories about Women drivers on this site in recent weeks. Driving and parking badly.
Is this more Russian fake news or just reality?

Men, if you're being "monitored", reply with a "-" before Russian, so I know you mean other
Put a skip there, measure the space and order one that's big enough to fill the space.

Get them to drop it exactly on the edge of your space, making sure it's as close as possible to her space.

Or buy a cheap crap car on ebay and park it there, making sure it's taxed etc.

Then park your car elsewhere.

You do have spare cash to spend on this whole teaching her a lesson thing right?

If not then unfortunately I'm out.
Edited by: "dataload" 16th Mar
melovecookie12 h, 56 m ago

We’ve used it since we moved in in November, it’s only started in the last …We’ve used it since we moved in in November, it’s only started in the last six weeks or so. There was a car parked on the other side of me that looks similar to my OHs car (but isn’t) that parked badly which meant I’d had to park closer to her line but still not over it. Other than that, no new cars, no dings, nothing! i did have a childish moment and parked a bit too close and got myself stuck in my car that’s the point where she confronted me.ive tried being civil, I just explained to her if she parks in her space and I park in mine, there’s no issue. Her response was I should park anywhere then she can get in her car 🧐dont get me wrong, if she was disabled or had a car seat or whatever I wouldn’t mind, but as I see it, she’s just being a Wally. Im totally with you on ignoring her, but at the moment I can’t use my space at all and it’s hacked me off a bit

clear solution - park in her space
wo....a violent woman?

i find women tend to be nice and it is men who can be violent and foul mouthed. i always worry when i come across an aggressive and foul mouthed woman as women who are this way inclined tend to be worst than the men to deal with. when women are aggressive, they really are aggressive and unreasonable. frightens the crap out of me when i come across a woman like this.

if i were you, i would try to be reasonable with her and try to resolve the issue amicably. it sounds like you have parked too close to her car and so blocking her in as she is the one getting all crazy about getting stuck in her car. do you have a problem with parking? i can't park properly and i am not ashamed to admit it, so i would struggle to park properly in allocated parking.
Snakeyes6464 h, 6 m ago

People still say pillock? Lol

When you get warnings or posts deleted for using a more modern term. We have to beat the system some how!
**** Doesn't always work
kos1c14 m ago

When you get warnings or posts deleted for using a more modern term. We …When you get warnings or posts deleted for using a more modern term. We have to beat the system some how! **** Doesn't always work

My dad used to call me it all the time, not heard it for ages as I'm bigger than him now hehe
Snakeyes64631 m ago

My dad used to call me it all the time, not heard it for ages as I'm … My dad used to call me it all the time, not heard it for ages as I'm bigger than him now hehe

That just makes ya a bigger pillock haha
Are you the freeholder? If not then contact the freeholders to send your neighbour a letter.

We have a similar issue, but the parking is not allocated, the muppets who painted the lines didn't leave enough room, so nine cars usually have difficulty opening their doors.
33475122-oceL4.jpgThing is, there is enough room. It’s tightish but there’s room. I’ll always park in the lines, even If I have to in out, in out a bit. But ny neighbour doesn’t.
See pic. The line under the car is the edge of my space. I don’t think she can be reasoned with (one of those shout the same line over and over types). I think I’ll jusy have to go through the managing agents. I wasn’t quite sure where I stood really!
there is more than one line under the car...
pic needs to show both sides of both parking spaces with both cars inside
looks like red car is parking in the central line between two spaces though?
melovecookie47 m ago

[Image] Thing is, there is enough room. It’s tightish but there’s room. I’l …[Image] Thing is, there is enough room. It’s tightish but there’s room. I’ll always park in the lines, even If I have to in out, in out a bit. But ny neighbour doesn’t. See pic. The line under the car is the edge of my space. I don’t think she can be reasoned with (one of those shout the same line over and over types). I think I’ll jusy have to go through the managing agents. I wasn’t quite sure where I stood really!

i think the issue here is that the lines which divide the parking bays are not clear. they need to be like this so then there is no argument of where the tyres of your car need to be placed. i would write to the management company / freeholder and explained that a dispute has taken place between yourself and your neighbour as to cars being parked too close to one another as the bays are not clearly divided.

ask them if they could paint in clearer markings to help stop disputes, which may escalate. the next time the cow shouts at you, just ask her to stop shouting and tell her you have raised the dispute with the management company and the freeholder, so that hopefully something will be done about the markings, which will stop all this ambiguity.

mutley112 m ago

i think the issue here is that the lines which divide the parking bays are …i think the issue here is that the lines which divide the parking bays are not clear. they need to be like this so then there is no argument of where the tyres of your car need to be placed. i would write to the management company / freeholder and explained that a dispute has taken place between yourself and your neighbour as to cars being parked too close to one another as the bays are not clearly divided.ask them if they could paint in clearer markings to help stop disputes, which may escalate. the next time the cow shouts at you, just ask her to stop shouting and tell her you have raised the dispute with the management company and the freeholder, so that hopefully something will be done about the markings, which will stop all this ambiguity.[Image]

No, the issue here is clearly an entitled, angry woman trying to get her own way and anybody else who it may effect can sod off. She presumably parked within the lines before this, so why would there suddenly be ambiguity over the boundaries of the bay now?
RossD8913 m ago

No, the issue here is clearly an entitled, angry woman trying to get her …No, the issue here is clearly an entitled, angry woman trying to get her own way and anybody else who it may effect can sod off. She presumably parked within the lines before this, so why would there suddenly be ambiguity over the boundaries of the bay now?

you can not reason with an unreasonable person as the OP already states, and getting into a serious dispute with your neighbour is not recommended over matters, that in the context of the bigger world is not that important. neighbour disputes can get way out of hand and have serious consequences, so the OP should avoid this at all costs. the neighbour is a cow and is not a reasonable person, so the OP has to be the reasonable and tempered person out of the two, otherwise things will get very ugly, very quickly.

contacting the management company / freeholder will start off the formal process of the dispute being recorded, and if she knows this, then she may not try to key his car as there is a record of the dispute and that it has been raised to higher authority. the fact that the OP has raised this matter with the authorities will demonstrate to her that he is taking the issue seriously and trying to resolve it, otherwise she may think he doesn't give a toss and that would just wind her up.

he needs to demonstrate to her that he is looking into ways to get the dispute resolved and so if the lines are drawn clearly then no confusion can be claimed by either party as the car needs to be within the box and even an unreasonable person can not argue against clearly visual dividers.
I think that’s what I’ll have to do, Mutley. As much as I’d like to slap some sense into her, it’ll do me no good.
Ill pop an email over to the management company. I get so frustrated by pig headedness, and as Ross said , entitled.
i hope the cctv works, I wouldn’t put it past her to damage my car once the letter goes out, but at least there’ll be a record of the dispute. I’m so deflated by it all. It’s our first flat and we worked so hard to make it our own, now I’m stressing everyday that some *insert own expletive here* is going to shout at me for parking.
thanks for the advice though! Reassuring to know that is likely “my spot” and not just an if you can get it thing I can do nothing about
brilly10 h, 28 m ago

there is more than one line under the car...pic needs to show both sides …there is more than one line under the car...pic needs to show both sides of both parking spaces with both cars insidelooks like red car is parking in the central line between two spaces though?

Yeah, she’s parked on the divide. The central line under the car is the edge of my space. The van just visible in the picture is her partners, so it’s not even as though someone else’s bad parking is causing it
Those spaces do look a bit tight, I'm surprised anyone can get in or out of their doors without banging the car next to them.
They are a bit but it’s manageable. I even suggested to her that I’m happy to move out/over if she can’t get In if she just gave me a knock, even when I’m within the lines. It’s very rare I’m out without my car.
Shes fully admitted before that she parks like that to stop me parking there because she doesn’t see why I need to.
We managed for a couple of months, just changed recently!
melovecookie43 m ago

I think that’s what I’ll have to do, Mutley. As much as I’d like to slap so …I think that’s what I’ll have to do, Mutley. As much as I’d like to slap some sense into her, it’ll do me no good.Ill pop an email over to the management company. I get so frustrated by pig headedness, and as Ross said , entitled. i hope the cctv works, I wouldn’t put it past her to damage my car once the letter goes out, but at least there’ll be a record of the dispute. I’m so deflated by it all. It’s our first flat and we worked so hard to make it our own, now I’m stressing everyday that some *insert own expletive here* is going to shout at me for parking.thanks for the advice though! Reassuring to know that is likely “my spot” and not just an if you can get it thing I can do nothing about

when things get you down, you have to take a step back and become detached in order to survive. i get stressed a lot about things and that is how i deal with issues as things can get on top of you and you end up doing silly things and not thinking straight.

put it into context and don't let it drag you down as there are worst thing in life that can happen to you than arguments over a parking space! she sounds like a complete cow and the sort of person that would be vicious enough to damage your car to spite you if you provoke her.

as you can not deal with her, get someone else to do so. so send a photo of how she parks to the management company and ask them for advice as to whether they can contact her to state how parking spaces should be used in the block. they could just send out a memo to everyone to explain how everyone should keep to their space.

if nothing gets resolved with time, then it may be time to start putting nails down in your so that she gets a flat tyre if she goes into it. that will stop her going over your space soon enough
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants