Expired

Parking near the American Embassy in London and no phones or car keys in allowed?

Found 13th Aug 2013
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has been recently to the American Embassy in London. I am reading that no car keys or phones allowed inside - BUT no storage facilities either....
Also any parking near by?

Any tips-- I am confused -how no car keys, no phones...no place to leave them either?

Please need advice.
Many thanks
Community Updates
12 Comments
It doesn't say anything about no keys on their website...it also says where you can leave things too:

http://london.usembassy.gov/embassy_location.html

"PLEASE do not bring mobile phones or any electronic devices, such as Blackberries, iPods, or PDAs as they are not allowed within the Embassy. We also strongly advise that you do not bring large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages to the interview as there are no storage facilities on Embassy grounds. Please consult this list of Left-Luggage storage facilities (PDF - 36kb) for possible locations to temporarily store such items."

So leave phone in car then go in. Parking also shown on the link provided, Did you even try googling?

Edited by: "cdm22" 13th Aug 2013
You can store items at Gould Pharmacy. They charge £3.95 for an A5 size bag to store phones and such. It's £3 more if you want to store a backpack. The Embassy will turn you away if they feel you have anything sharp, contains batteries, and some liquids. If you take babies milk be prepared to taste it in front of them. Very strict controls. You are allowed an umbrella if the weather is bad.

If your keys are like mine and have a remote built in to them you will not be allowed to take them in.

Also only go with the people involved in the interview. Other members with you will be turned away and not allowed in.

Basicly only go with what you need for the appointment. Sorry can't help with parking.

Edited by: "Infinitesd" 13th Aug 2013
inamar

no car keys or phones allowed insight

Keep them out of sight then.
Original Poster
Talis

Keep them out of sight then.

sorry ..so tired..fixed now
Banned
They're watching. Everything.
Both times I have been, I got the train then tube and left my keys at home. This made the entry process much easier. I know quite a few of my friends have left items at the chemist with no problems. Don't know about parking your car near the embassy as we all used the train or tube to get there.
Original Poster
Infinitesd

You can store items at Gould Pharmacy. They charge £3.95 for an A5 size … You can store items at Gould Pharmacy. They charge £3.95 for an A5 size bag to store phones and such. It's £3 more if you want to store a backpack. The Embassy will turn you away if they feel you have anything sharp, contains batteries, and some liquids. If you take babies milk be prepared to taste it in front of them. Very strict controls. You are allowed an umbrella if the weather is bad.If your keys are like mine and have a remote built in to them you will not be allowed to take them in.Also only go with the people involved in the interview. Other members with you will be turned away and not allowed in. Basicly only go with what you need for the appointment. Sorry can't help with parking.

Many thanks. This might be the solution. All mentioned storage facilities are quite far.Will try the pharmacy.
So def no car keys (with batteries) allowed?
inamar

Many thanks. This might be the solution. All mentioned storage facilities … Many thanks. This might be the solution. All mentioned storage facilities are quite far.Will try the pharmacy.So def no car keys (with batteries) allowed?

No batteries what so ever. I would consider myself lucky if I had a pace maker and they let me in.

Here is a list I found

You are not allowed to enter the U.S. Embassy/Consulate while carrying any of the following items:
battery-operated or electronic devices such as mobile phones, digital diaries, digital watches, pagers, cameras, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppy disks, laptops, or portable music players
large shoulder bags/purses - only bags that can be carried by hand will be permitted
bags such as travel bags, backpacks, briefcases, suitcases, leather, cloth bags, and zip folders - you can only carry plastic bags containing application-related papers
food items (refreshments are available for purchase in the waiting area)
sealed envelopes or packages
cigarettes, cigars, match boxes, lighters
sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail files
weapons or explosive materials of any kind

This list is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of security staff.

There is no facility at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate to store prohibited items. You must make arrangements to store these items before you enter the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

Due to security considerations, there is no information window for walk-in visitors at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate. Only visa applicants with scheduled interviews will be admitted into the U.S. Embassy/Consulate

It's up to the security guards to allow anything in.

Also here is the link for the Pharmacy. It doesn't mention their storage services, but the prices were confirmed as of Saturday the 10th of August. Gould Pharmacy
Edited by: "Infinitesd" 13th Aug 2013
you can park on the streets within 5min walking, call the number near the parking

(mon-fri also pay congestion charge £10)
Edited by: "effingandjeffing" 13th Aug 2013
otherwise you can park under hyde park (outside congestion zone)

£5 per hour under park lane

about 5min walk away
Original Poster
effingandjeffing

otherwise you can park under hyde park (outside congestion zone) £5 per … otherwise you can park under hyde park (outside congestion zone) £5 per hour under park laneabout 5min walk away

Thanks a lot
We parked about 50 yards from embassy, on the street, about £4.50 an hour.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions