Parking over drives

Found 24th Feb 2010
Why the hell do people feel the need to park over peoples drives????

At the moment I have a van parked full length crossing my drive so I cannot get out (if I want to) and when people who live here get back cannot get in.

There are plenty of spaces on the street...even either side of the drive....AND a huge space in front of the house that its working for.

So why park over a drive when theres plenty of spaces, including spaces closest to where they need to go!?!?!?!?!

Rant over....

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
45 Comments

I feel this. There are no houses opposite me whatsover, yet people still insist on parking on this side of the road, blocking, or making it difficult for everyone to get on or off their drives. At present there's a van blocking my drive too. My visitors always park over the road, where it causes no inconvenience to anyone, or round the corner, to the side of my house.

Banned

Occasionally people do this to us.

So inconsiderate :x

Knife and tyres come to mind.....

I hate when people do this aswell...my old neighbour used to this alot....he didnt block our drive fully but always blocked part of it....every morning would have to knock on his door....

Banned

Abz;7936574

Knife and tyres come to mind.....I hate when people do this aswell...my … Knife and tyres come to mind.....I hate when people do this aswell...my old neighbour used to this alot....he didnt block our drive fully but always blocked part of it....every morning would have to knock on his door....

Maybe he wanted to see your cheery face

DLM;7936580

Maybe he wanted to see your cheery face

not so cheery first thing in the morning!!!!

Original Poster

Penny Saver;7936557

I feel this. There are no houses opposite me whatsover, yet people still … I feel this. There are no houses opposite me whatsover, yet people still insist on parking on this side of the road, blocking, or making it difficult for everyone to get on or off their drives. At present there's a van blocking my drive too. My visitors always park over the road, where it causes no inconvenience to anyone, or round the corner, to the side of my house.

this one is completely blocking it though....parked right over it.....I have just asked him (politely) why he needs to block my drive.....he rudely responded saying theres nothing stopping him working from there and if I want to get my car out he would be moving it and putting it straight back WHAT IS THE POINT???????????? He claimed he has wires running to the house (which he doesnt unless theyre invisible ones) yet when I said theres a space right in front of that house and I feel there is no reason why he is blocking the drive he said "there are spaces all over, the van is here and im not f'in moving it for no reason"

I have never been spoke to like that in my life!!!!! He works for the council, I have the reg number, im going to call and report him, this is out of order
DLM;7936573

Occasionally people do this to us.So inconsiderate :x

theres inconsiderate, then theres rude and stubborn....

let one of his Tyres down.

lil_tiger;7936612

this one is completely blocking it though....parked right over it.....I … this one is completely blocking it though....parked right over it.....I have just asked him (politely) why he needs to block my drive.....he rudely responded saying theres nothing stopping him working from there and if I want to get my car out he would be moving it and putting it straight back WHAT IS THE POINT???????????? He claimed he has wires running to the house (which he doesnt unless theyre invisible ones) yet when I said theres a space right in front of that house and I feel there is no reason why he is blocking the drive he said "there are spaces all over, the van is here and im not f'in moving it for no reason"I have never been spoke to like that in my life!!!!! He works for the council, I have the reg number, im going to call and report him, this is out of ordertheres inconsiderate, then theres rude and stubborn....

Yeah defo just report him....but one point of caution is he now knows where you live etc...so could easily come back for revenge.....

Phone the police, its an offence to block someone in there drive.

Banned

lil_tiger;7936612

this one is completely blocking it though....parked right over it.....I … this one is completely blocking it though....parked right over it.....I have just asked him (politely) why he needs to block my drive.....he rudely responded saying theres nothing stopping him working from there and if I want to get my car out he would be moving it and putting it straight back WHAT IS THE POINT???????????? He claimed he has wires running to the house (which he doesnt unless theyre invisible ones) yet when I said theres a space right in front of that house and I feel there is no reason why he is blocking the drive he said "there are spaces all over, the van is here and im not f'in moving it for no reason"I have never been spoke to like that in my life!!!!! He works for the council, I have the reg number, im going to call and report him, this is out of ordertheres inconsiderate, then theres rude and stubborn....

Cheeky mare.

Thankfully they don't do it here very often.

My fella growls a lot x x

Goonieman;7936649

Im sure they'd really appreciate that:roll:

He already said he'd move it if she wanted to get out, so hes hardly keeping her prisioner on her drive.

Having said that I do agree and it is bang out of order but you cant physically move him so all that you can do it try and lodge a complaint with the council.. although judging by past experiences theyve never been much use to us when we've needed action on a complaint.

Try not to stress too much, no point winding yourself up over ppl who aren't worth it :friends:

Original Poster

Abz;7936639

Yeah defo just report him....but one point of caution is he now knows … Yeah defo just report him....but one point of caution is he now knows where you live etc...so could easily come back for revenge.....

I really dont care, I dont have people speaking to me like that when theyre so blatantly in the wrong
Goonieman;7936649

nah I aint gonna waste police time.....if he was not willing to move then I would do but the main thing here is him been rude, he has after all offered to move it if I want to get out/someone wants to come in....I so wish I wasnt waiting for a delivery so I could go out....infact I would consider going out, driving round the block, coming back, going out, driving round the block, etc etc etc if I wanted to waste the petrol money lol
DLM;7936650

Cheeky mare.Thankfully they don't do it here very often.My fella growls a … Cheeky mare.Thankfully they don't do it here very often.My fella growls a lot x x

what also annoys me is the person who he is working for (or at) always complains when we park OUR cars on OUR drive cos she cant get her bin past (that she has chose to keep in the back garden, access to which is the drive...before we had the drive put in there was a one foot ginnel.....so her argument is shes entitled to bring it up and down....my argument is if the drive wasnt there and it was still the ginnel, the bin wouldnt fit

silly old moo :x

At the moment I have a van parked full length crossing my drive so I … At the moment I have a van parked full length crossing my drive so I cannot get out (if I want to) and when people who live here get back cannot get in.

you got no respect on road fam, peepz in my endz know who I be, so they know they would get hotted up if they did that too me

Oh, and when you complain Id insist that you receive an apology.. Guessing he has a mobile on him so the council can reach him. Id want one before he packed up and went!

Banned

lil_tiger;7936723

what also annoys me is the person who he is working for (or at) always … what also annoys me is the person who he is working for (or at) always complains when we park OUR cars on OUR drive cos she cant get her bin past (that she has chose to keep in the back garden, access to which is the drive...before we had the drive put in there was a one foot ginnel.....so her argument is shes entitled to bring it up and down....my argument is if the drive wasnt there and it was still the ginnel, the bin wouldnt fitsilly old moo :x

I wish I could afford a detached house in the middle of no where.

Neighbours are a nightmare! x x

Banned

do you need to get out or in? if not its hardly a massive deal is it and im sure it takes a few seconds to ask someone to move, its not like he lives in the van parked across your drive

Original Poster

black gerbil1;7936741

you got no respect on road fam, peepz in my endz know who I be, so they … you got no respect on road fam, peepz in my endz know who I be, so they know they would get hotted up if they did that too me

thank you for a sensible(ish) post BG
Nikki999;7936746

Oh, and when you complain Id insist that you receive an apology.. … Oh, and when you complain Id insist that you receive an apology.. Guessing he has a mobile on him so the council can reach him. Id want one before he packed up and went!

already complained and didnt bother to ask for an apology, I would much rather never see him or hear his voice again....fair enough I swear at times etc but I would not speak to someone in that scenario like that

lil_tiger;7936723

I really dont care, I dont have people speaking to me like that when … I really dont care, I dont have people speaking to me like that when theyre so blatantly in the wrongwhat also annoys me is the person who he is working for (or at) always complains when we park OUR cars on OUR drive cos she cant get her bin past (that she has chose to keep in the back garden, access to which is the drive...before we had the drive put in there was a one foot ginnel.....so her argument is shes entitled to bring it up and down....my argument is if the drive wasnt there and it was still the ginnel, the bin wouldnt fitsilly old moo :x

Maybe she instructed him to park over yours then just to be obstinate?

We did have a neighbour moan at us for parking outiside our own house once.. apparently us parking there meant her family couldnt park all their 5 cars :roll:

Banned

Stick a sign up saying vehicles parked blocking your drive will be clamped. Buy a clamp. Collect £125 for releasing offending vehicle. Simples.

Original Poster

sassie;7936805

do you need to get out or in? if not its hardly a massive deal is it and … do you need to get out or in? if not its hardly a massive deal is it and im sure it takes a few seconds to ask someone to move, its not like he lives in the van parked across your drive

someone will be coming in soon, why should they wait (whilst blocking the road) while they figure out where this clown is working, wait for him to secure the things on the back of the van, move the cables he has since put down (:roll:) just so we can access out drive?

I wouldnt mind if the street was packed and they asked our permission....but the road is empty, he could easily park closer to the house he needs to acces, he had no reason at all to block it :?

lol.. i bet if you'd have gone out and said i need to go out would u mind moving he'd of moved and stayed in the new place he moved too...lol..

i know its a total pain i live on a cul-de-sac and we have a t-junction at the top of the rd which is for turning only now there are so many cars on the rd that 2 cars park at each side. there is no where to park on this street its a nightmare and i don't want to back the car down the drive its too big..haha. doesn't help the house with no drive has 3 cars and a motorbike and 4 cars at times. its a pain lucky they're up for sale so they're teenager will stop knokcing peoples cars and stop flying up the street at god knows what speed.

Original Poster

Nikki999;7936823

Maybe she instructed him to park over yours then just to be obstinate?We … Maybe she instructed him to park over yours then just to be obstinate?We did have a neighbour moan at us for parking outiside our own house once.. apparently us parking there meant her family couldnt park all their 5 cars :roll:

wouldnt put that past her...I am actually expecting her coming round and havin a go but im ready :viking: lol
guv;7936829

Stick a sign up saying vehicles parked blocking your drive will be … Stick a sign up saying vehicles parked blocking your drive will be clamped. Buy a clamp. Collect £125 for releasing offending vehicle. Simples.

there shouldnt need to be a sign....its a drive, with dropped kerb, the highway code (IIRC) states its illegal to park over a dropped kerb
dcx_badass;7936834

Say you want to get out, when he moves his van just park there yourself … Say you want to get out, when he moves his van just park there yourself instead. We lived by the show house of our estate people used to block our drive, we just parked blocking them and when in the house, then moved it after an hour of them waiting around not know whose car it is.

lol then i would have to move my car to let my mum in......cba wi that

Banned

lil_tiger;7936835

someone will be coming in soon, why should they wait (whilst blocking the … someone will be coming in soon, why should they wait (whilst blocking the road) while they figure out where this clown is working, wait for him to secure the things on the back of the van, move the cables he has since put down (:roll:) just so we can access out drive?I wouldnt mind if the street was packed and they asked our permission....but the road is empty, he could easily park closer to the house he needs to acces, he had no reason at all to block it :?

then when they come home, tell them to park there when he moves, sorted, oh and i thought you knew where he was working

Banned

dcx_badass;7936834

Say you want to get out, when he moves his van just park there yourself … Say you want to get out, when he moves his van just park there yourself instead. We lived by the show house of our estate people used to block our drive, we just parked blocking them and when in the house, then moved it after an hour of them waiting around not know whose car it is.

LOL - I like your style

Original Poster

superskilly;7936854

lol.. i bet if you'd have gone out and said i need to go out would u mind … lol.. i bet if you'd have gone out and said i need to go out would u mind moving he'd of moved and stayed in the new place he moved too...lol.. i know its a total pain i live on a cul-de-sac and we have a t-junction at the top of the rd which is for turning only now there are so many cars on the rd that 2 cars park at each side. there is no where to park on this street its a nightmare and i don't want to back the car down the drive its too big..haha. doesn't help the house with no drive has 3 cars and a motorbike and 4 cars at times. its a pain lucky they're up for sale so they're teenager will stop knokcing peoples cars and stop flying up the street and god knows what speed.

lol to be fair we have 4 cars and a pretty big work van....all the cars have off road parking (and off the drive!!) and my dads van gets parked on the street...but he has the decency to park further up the street where there arent any houses.....

arent neighbours fun :roll:

Original Poster

sassie;7936874

then when they come home, tell them to park there when he moves, sorted, … then when they come home, tell them to park there when he moves, sorted, oh and i thought you knew where he was working

might do yeah I know where hes working but she wont/doesnt....ive been watching what he was doing, where he was going etc, at points hes in the back garden completely out of view from the van......she is driving at the moment so I cant tell her theres a tit over the drive working at number XX so she will be confused when she gets here as I said

Banned

lil_tiger;7936861

there shouldnt need to be a sign....its a drive, with dropped kerb, the … there shouldnt need to be a sign....its a drive, with dropped kerb, the highway code (IIRC) states its illegal to park over a dropped kerb

I agree.... but it doesn't seem to have got you very far. Besides, it could be a useful second income. :thumbsup:

Abz;7936639

Yeah defo just report him....but one point of caution is he now knows … Yeah defo just report him....but one point of caution is he now knows where you live etc...so could easily come back for revenge.....

My thoughts exactly. Paranoid thoughts I know but worse things have happened to people for less than asking them to move a van. Perhaps being thrown onto a live railway line for commenting on someone elses smoking.

Banned

how long is your drive, surely you could pop out when you see her arriving from behind the curtain, unemployment really is a bummer

Banned

Depends what mood you're in. You could just ask the big bad scary man to move if you need to get in or out:oops:

If someone blocks your drive whilst you're out, I recommend blocking them in by parking across them.

Original Poster

sassie;7936931

how long is your drive, surely you could pop out when you see her … how long is your drive, surely you could pop out when you see her arriving from behind the curtain, unemployment really is a bummer

lol I aint gonna stand at my window til she gets here....sorted now anyways, there was no need for the rudeness on his part and no need for him to be there in the first place...and yes, yes it is
FilthAndFurry;7936958

Depends what mood you're in. You could just ask the big bad scary man to … Depends what mood you're in. You could just ask the big bad scary man to move if you need to get in or out:oops:If someone blocks your drive whilst you're out, I recommend blocking them in by parking across them.

I dont see how I could do that......theyve parked across the drive, not on the drive but across the bottom of it, would need 2 cars to block him in....its also clearly a work van so wouldnt be the best idea :roll: plus how can someone ask him to move if they dont know where he is working.....:?

oh and..... hes gone now :-D

It is quite difficult to confront another person even for something as trivial as a blocked drive. But why should a householder be put in this position in their own home. if I had a driveway I would expect to come and go whenever I liked, all times of the day without having to find and confront a van driver.

i have no back bone, I would probably book a taxi rather than attempt to get my car out.

Banned

where has he gone? ohhh err you dont think he's gone to get his buddies in their vans

sassie;7937062

where has he gone? ohhh err you dont think he's gone to get his buddies … where has he gone? ohhh err you dont think he's gone to get his buddies in their vans

lol@that

Original Poster

diabeticguy;7937060

It is quite difficult to confront another person even for something as … It is quite difficult to confront another person even for something as trivial as a blocked drive. But why should a householder be put in this position in their own home. if I had a driveway I would expect to come and go whenever I liked, all times of the day without having to find and confront a van driver.i have no back bone, I would probably book a taxi rather than attempt to get my car out.

lol least youll be alive when Im apparently gonna get beat up by the white van men.....:roll: lol
sassie;7937062

where has he gone? ohhh err you dont think he's gone to get his buddies … where has he gone? ohhh err you dont think he's gone to get his buddies in their vans

dont know dont care

Banned

diabeticguy;7937060

It is quite difficult to confront another person even for something as … It is quite difficult to confront another person even for something as trivial as a blocked drive.

http://www.pauljnoble.com/img/folio/final/ot4.gif

FilthAndFurry;7937102

Even that intimidates me. :?

If this happens in the future, and the owner is obstinate in moving it when asked, then phone the police. It is an offence to block someone getting out their drive (although not an offence to block them getting in)

It's NOT wasting police time, they sort this out all the time, and they will deal with it, usually by sending a tow truck. They have a nice contract with the local pound they like to use.

guv;7936829

Stick a sign up saying vehicles parked blocking your drive will be … Stick a sign up saying vehicles parked blocking your drive will be clamped. Buy a clamp. Collect £125 for releasing offending vehicle. Simples.

You need an SIA license to clamp cars :thumbsup:Can't fight one crime with another

Original Poster

peodude;7937196

If this happens in the future, and the owner is obstinate in moving it … If this happens in the future, and the owner is obstinate in moving it when asked, then phone the police. It is an offence to block someone getting out their drive (although not an offence to block them getting in)It's NOT wasting police time, they sort this out all the time, and they will deal with it, usually by sending a tow truck. They have a nice contract with the local pound they like to use.

lol it is wasting time when he had said he would move the van...if he refused to move it then it would be different
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Magazine competitions - Issue 45 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515
    2. Quidco Snow me the money Competition821061
    3. Black Friday 201711
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 46 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313

See more discussions