Parking problem on my street/street opposite, any advice?

Posted 26th Jun 2020
Hello

I've been off work for 3 days now. Just my days off. On Wednesday evening at 1900 I came home and parked my car in the road opposite. There's a small field there, and it's parked outside that. Not causing any obstructions, blocking entrances, lowered pavement, or contravening any other rules or of that sort. You can basically park there.

I fell asleep at around 2345 and I was woken with banging on my door, from someone in that street asking move to move my car, as they need to park there after work. I said the parking space is for everyone. The woman and her daughter were really angry and said I cannot park in a street I don't live on at night, and that she will be telling her sister who works at the council. She also said that my car is blocking the sunlight going to her house. But the car isn't even in front of their house.

Then the husband and girls dad came, and started shouting his head off. So I called the Police and the Police attended. The Police spoke to them, and to me. They said I wasted Police time because this is a civil matter, but I said I contacted them about the people at my door, not the reason why they were at my door. The Police warned me not to call them again about this. The family hasn't been round since then.

The other issue is another person from my street came and knocked my door and asking me why I went to the Police about this. He said we don't call the Police around here and we sort things amongst ourselves, so don't do it again. Now I can't call the Police again because they've already warned me.

Any advice on this matter? She said she's going to tell her sister who works at the council. I only use my car to travel back and from work, and that is all, nothing else. It doesn't bother anyone else. The Police are helpless, and I won't be contacting them again for anything that I cannot handle myself or helping them in any matter ever again (there's massive crime in my street and my CCTV covers all ares of our street, so they won't be getting any footage again, neither will anyone else).

My only worry now is the woman going to the council, and the grudge I've caused by calling Police with other people in this area.

A bit of background on the people in my area, they're all junkies, except for the old people that live here, and one Asian couple that are the nicest ever (who replaced my old neighbours who made my life hell - they were evicted by the housing group in my area by the council).

I only live here because I have no where else to live. But working hard to move ASAP.

Any advice?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
A formal complaint to the Police and to the local crime commissioner is called for. You had people creating a nuisance, shouting at you and generally behaving in a manner ot make you fear for your safety and the safety of your property.

Should your car get mysteriously damaged, it will also give you grounds to sue the police for failing to address the situation

How dare Plod treat you like this.
Edited by: "ccnp" 26th Jun
61 Comments
Technically you can park it there. By chance is it close to a house or building that has multiple cars? Maybe it is used by someone that lives in that road? Just to defuse the situation can you park outside your house? And finally, absolutely call the police if you feel intimidated or threatened by your neighbour's.
tell them to do one and close the door
A formal complaint to the Police and to the local crime commissioner is called for. You had people creating a nuisance, shouting at you and generally behaving in a manner ot make you fear for your safety and the safety of your property.

Should your car get mysteriously damaged, it will also give you grounds to sue the police for failing to address the situation

How dare Plod treat you like this.
Edited by: "ccnp" 26th Jun
If there are no parking restriction signs/permit holder only notices, you’re not parking on single or double yellow lines or by a school zigzag lines and not obstructing anyone’s private access then you’ve done nothing wrong! Don’t let people bully you into thinking otherwise.

What’s the sister at the council going to do, aside from pretend to be busy and make another cup of tea at the taxpayer’s expense? If you’ve broken no traffic laws and it doesn’t affect her in any way, it’s abuse of her position to get involved and could get her sacked! GDPR laws would surely prevent her from looking you up on a council database that she may have access to...again, abuse of position. She may well work at the council as a cleaner with zero responsibilities, just trying to mess with you

Good luck!
Edited by: "shelliebish" 26th Jun
Turret-Buddy26/06/2020 20:01

Second this. Worrying how people get so annoyed over petit things like this. Bunch of idiots. The council threat is so laughable as well. “Oooo I’m sorry I parked somewhere I’m allowed to”
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 26th Jun
Where do you normally park your car? problem nowadays is there's no parking for anyone as many houses have 2 and 3 cars as kids are staying longer at their parents houses due to not being able to get a mortgage/get on the housing ladder. Also, many streets were not built for so many cars.

There's never an easy solution to a problem like this, but what they did is so wrong, maybe there could be a resolution without the threats.

Can't see how a car can stop sunlight coming into a house though, they sound a bit loony to me.
You felt threatened and intimated, and had every right to call the police. I'm more surprised that they attended so promptly.

Fit a dashcam to your car, which will record audio next time you happen to have a verbal altercation with these people (if your ignition's on at the time.) Always good to have inconvertible evidence of being threatened.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 26th Jun
ccnp26/06/2020 20:07

A formal complaint to the Police and to the local crime commissioner is …A formal complaint to the Police and to the local crime commissioner is called for. You had people creating a nuisance, shouting at you and generally behaving in a manner ot make you fear for your safety and the safety of your property. Should your car get mysteriously damaged, it will also give you grounds to sue the police for failing to address the situationHow dare Plod treat you like this.

Well said
STRICKIBHOY26/06/2020 19:57

Technically you can park it there. By chance is it close to a house or …Technically you can park it there. By chance is it close to a house or building that has multiple cars? Maybe it is used by someone that lives in that road? Just to defuse the situation can you park outside your house? And finally, absolutely call the police if you feel intimidated or threatened by your neighbour's.

No, it's no where near a building. There's a small field on the corner, and then a semi detached house, then the house joined on to that semi is where these people came from. I don't even know which house the guy that came after in my street from is. The household that came and knocked on my door have a driveway, they have 3 cars in total, and the drive way can fit 4. One of their car stays on the road. I have never seen them park in the place where I park. But it looked like they had family over, and could not park in their usual place. I can't park outside my home, as my home is directly opposite that junction, and the road my house is on is a very narrow road. If I park outside my home, junction gets blocked.
we have similar parking issues. general courtesy is we don't park on neighbors spaces outside there house. however this is not law it's just being cooperative and not one that is always possible.
maccy1i26/06/2020 20:13

Where do you normally park your car? problem nowadays is there's no …Where do you normally park your car? problem nowadays is there's no parking for anyone as many houses have 2 and 3 cars as kids are staying longer at their parents houses due to not being able to get a mortgage/get on the housing ladder. Also, many streets were not built for so many cars. There's never an easy solution to a problem like this, but what they did is so wrong, maybe there could be a resolution without the threats. Can't see how a car can stop sunlight coming into a house though, they sound a bit loony to me.

They have a driveway that can fit 4 cars, but they chose not to put cars on there. The street is empty, their issue is with me parking my car on their street. They all own big cars, I have a tiny little Nissan Micra, thats to go back and forth from work
If you pay road tax u can park anywhere as long as it’s not assigned parking or permits
Next time open the door with a baseball bat
ashmac26/06/2020 20:58

Comment deleted

Can't see any haha about that comment.
Thumbnail26/06/2020 20:41

They have a driveway that can fit 4 cars, but they chose not to put cars …They have a driveway that can fit 4 cars, but they chose not to put cars on there. The street is empty, their issue is with me parking my car on their street. They all own big cars, I have a tiny little Nissan Micra, thats to go back and forth from work

Have you asked them why they don't park on their drive? , that would be the first question that come out of my mouth.
I am guessing you have lived there some time now?
So, what has changed? Newer neighbours moved in? Are you parking much differently than you have done in the past? People can be very territorial - often without any legal justification.
Park where you like if legal. Complain to the police as you had a genuine reason as they failed in their duty to address the matter. It’s not a civil matter if neighbours are harassing you it’s a police matter. And tell them to do one next time you get a knock on the door. People like that are awful. Stand your ground don’t get intimidated by Karen and her daughter.
Public road with no restrictions, park where you want. We live on a terrace street and park wherever we find a space, never had any issue with any neighbour in 20 years. By the way CCTV should only be used to monitor your own property, you have no right to be filming the street, if your neighbours report that you could be in trouble.
Turret-Buddy26/06/2020 20:01

Not a wise action.
As a retaliation they could end up damaging your car.

If it's not on a legal road I wouldn't bother.
Best part on a road as you pay road tax and possibly have a permit.
I hate car parking issues. When I bought my current house 13 years ago I parked my car outside my house and neighbour who lives 2 doors away told me to move my car so his wife can park! He had his own car parked outside his house and I was like “erm, this is my house and my space and same with you as you already park there so it’s not my problem if you have 2 cars”!
I also had baby seats to pick up so it wasn’t easy neither did I listen to him.
He reported me to my brother for being rude and shouting at him when I was telling him what was right and wrong
2 year after that his wife had a affair and dumped him, oh la no mention after that
This thread has no answers, it's just going round in circles, best thing to ask is why don't they park on their own drive that has enough room for all of their vehicles...
I assume you pay your road tax, so you are allowed to park on any public road that is not signed for residents only.
Keep a record of any harassment. Video camera focused on the front door (or an old phone with a decent size memory card) , just switch it on every time you answer the door.
If you Gerry threatened again, phone the police again. They can't tell you to not phone them if you feel in danger.
Police And the other people are in the wrong and do what ccnp said. However parking does get people’s back up that’s for sure but you said “she said you can’t park in a street you don’t live in“ is this the case?

Some people do get protective about their street and especially parking, most don’t have room for all cars in the street nowadays and it would get many’s back up if you parked not in your own street. It could also have an impact on your insurance depending on the t&cs.

not condoning their behaviour in any way, but if you aren’t parking in your own street, I wouldn’t be parking there again.
Don't worry about it,you feel a bit shocked and distressed about the situation and that's understandable,it's not every day that you will have a commotion and then the police at your door,and if you're not used to conflict it can be upsetting,just remember that you were not in the wrong and there is no reason that the council will contact you.you have to remember while at this moment in time it may feel stressful as it's recent,but events take over and somebody else becomes the story and then that other person is in the spotlight and not you,people like that will have a go at anyone when they get the chance,just avoid them and it will be all forgotten about.I've been in some huge scrapes in my life and everything blows over.
Edited by: "Maxim7750" 26th Jun
Scotland131426/06/2020 20:52

If you pay road tax u can park anywhere as long as it’s not assigned p …If you pay road tax u can park anywhere as long as it’s not assigned parking or permits

No such thing as toad tax bbc.com/new…379
Sounds like a very(un)friendly neighbourhood, I wish you the best of luck!
Axe throwing is a sport join a club and you will have a good reason to own a few also bad if anyone brakes in to your house 🏠
chronicmonkey26/06/2020 23:42

Sounds like a very(un)friendly neighbourhood, I wish you the best of luck!

this comment will probably be removed, mine was, and I said the exact same thing
Very odd thread.

Just remember, people do NOT own the space on the roads outside their houses.

If people want that privilege of parking close to their houses, buy a house with a driveway.

If anyone ever asked me to move my car for any reason if I'm parked on the road legally, I would just look at them as if they are on drugs and walk away.
Azwipe26/06/2020 21:28

Public road with no restrictions, park where you want. We live on a …Public road with no restrictions, park where you want. We live on a terrace street and park wherever we find a space, never had any issue with any neighbour in 20 years. By the way CCTV should only be used to monitor your own property, you have no right to be filming the street, if your neighbours report that you could be in trouble.

No strictly true AzWipe.

You can film in ANY public place, so you can film the road or people in your street to your hearts content with no notice or warning.
However you can not film in someones private property without consent.

This was all introduced when CCTV was introduced, otherwise every council in the country would be breaking the law.
chronicmonkey26/06/2020 23:40

No such thing as toad tax …No such thing as toad tax https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-41212379

Tell that to the frogs!!
oh a thread on people 'parking' cars like it wasn't hot enough already

Nobody seems to have mentioned this 'field' you are parking in must be owned by someone mate

my go to advise is buy a bike but you may not want to hear that.
have fun
Chiptivo27/06/2020 01:20

No strictly true AzWipe. You can film in ANY public place, so you can film …No strictly true AzWipe. You can film in ANY public place, so you can film the road or people in your street to your hearts content with no notice or warning. However you can not film in someones private property without consent. This was all introduced when CCTV was introduced, otherwise every council in the country would be breaking the law.

Why private CCTV could be breaking the law

Pointing a security camera at the pavement, road, or neighbour's propertycould put you in breach of the Data Protection Act or harassment law. In December an EU ruling said that private homeowners filming outside their own property are no longer covered by exemptions to the Act - which means filming the pavement or road could get you into serious trouble.
Wongy11027/06/2020 01:35

.. Nobody seems to have mentioned this 'field' you are parking in must be ….. Nobody seems to have mentioned this 'field' you are parking in must be owned by someone matemy go to advise is buy a bike but you may not want to hear that.have fun

'There's a small field there, and it's parked outside that.'
Edited by: "chocci" 27th Jun
Take photos with your car parked so that the current situation is documented before anything changes, like a new board prohibiting parking.
No because it’s a made up story
tardytortoise26/06/2020 21:10

I am guessing you have lived there some time now?So, what has changed? …I am guessing you have lived there some time now?So, what has changed? Newer neighbours moved in? Are you parking much differently than you have done in the past? People can be very territorial - often without any legal justification.

I do miss the Jeremy Kyle show,
chronicmonkey26/06/2020 23:40

No such thing as toad tax …No such thing as toad tax https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-41212379

No road tax or toad tax either
Just to clarify, straight from the ICO,

"if your system captures images of people outside the boundary of your private domestic property – for example, in neighbours’ homes or gardens, shared spaces, or on a public footpath or a street?
Then the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA18) will apply to you, and you will need to ensure your use of CCTV complies with these laws
."

ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/
Edited by: "Sammy86" 27th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text