Parking Ticket - I had paid

Found 17th Aug 2015
So I parked in Manchester last week and left the ticket on the dash.

Unfort. The wind must have blown as I closed the door and the printed ticket was upside down.

I returned to the car to find the fine/ticket on the outside of the windscreen and I returned well in advance of the expiry time.

The fee is £35.00 if paid within 24hrs, £60ish if paid within a week and about £100 if paid within the month.

Given that it's a legitimate private company rather than the council and having researched I've found an appeal is a waste of time with these ****, what would you have done?
Community Updates
Ask
43 Comments
I didn't think that private companies had any power to fine.
Edited by: "SJHan" 17th Aug 2015
I would appeal tbh... I appealed against a Parking Eye penalty earlier this year - and won!
stuarthanley

I didn't think that private companies had any power to fine.

They don't, only a court can enforce a fine but they threaten court action, with costs.

A typical scare tactic.
We had a parking invoice come through the post a few years ago for over staying our welcome at the local Asda. It's still in the drawer somewhere....

The problem with an appeal is, on their own website, they include a redacted copy of a failed appeal to the parking ombudsman.

So, I can't see much point in appealing to the company, never mind the ombudsman, at this stage

Edited by: "willhay555" 17th Aug 2015
Surely it's for them to prove you didn't pay. I'm assuming, as an intelligent bloke, you kept your parking ticket as proof?
I certainly did friend

Additionally, on the back of the ticket is a printed number, which is unique to the ticket and the same as the number on the front of the ticket.

As far as their proof, they would have taken a photo of the upturned ticket through the windscreen.

So, I guess the question in law is; if you fail to display the ticket correctly are you liable for a fine?

After all, are you making more work for them in administration?

Can they not check the number on the back of the ticket by the roadside?
I suspect not.

Edited by: "willhay555" 17th Aug 2015
willhay555

I certainly did friend :)Additionally, on the back of the ticket is a … I certainly did friend :)Additionally, on the back of the ticket is a printed number, which is unique to the ticket and the same as the number on the front of the ticket.As far as their proof, they would have taken a photo of the upturned ticket through the windscreen.So, I guess the question in law is; if you fail to display the ticket correctly are you liable for a fine?After all, are you making more work for them in administration?Can they not check the number on the back of the ticket by the roadside?I suspect not.

What I would do in this situation is ignore the fine. Then I would ignore the threatening letters. Then I would ignore the final demand. Then appear in court with said ticket in hand and wipe the smile from their smug little faces... But that's just me
stuarthanley

What I would do in this situation is ignore the fine. Then I would ignore … What I would do in this situation is ignore the fine. Then I would ignore the threatening letters. Then I would ignore the final demand. Then appear in court with said ticket in hand and wipe the smile from their smug little faces... But that's just me

My intent is to photocopy and send the ticket.
If they're stupid enough to spend money tracing me [DVLA] and writing letters I'll ignore it until the court writes to me.

But, at the end of the day I didn't display the ticket correctly.

I suspect I won't hear from them when they run the ticket number through the computer.
Same thing happened to me at aquatics centre a few years ago. I didn't pay though and didn't hear anything from them. Also happened in town and I send them an email with a picture of my ticket and they overturned the fine. The coop car park in West didsbury doesn't chase their fines after they send you a letter at home. Yep got a ticket there too lol
ilovevelvet

Same thing happened to me at aquatics centre a few years ago. I didn't … Same thing happened to me at aquatics centre a few years ago. I didn't pay though and didn't hear anything from them. Also happened in town and I send them an email with a picture of my ticket and they overturned the fine. The coop car park in West didsbury doesn't chase their fines after they send you a letter at home. Yep got a ticket there too lol

You're just a rebel!!!!
willhay555

My intent is to photocopy and send the ticket.If they're stupid enough to … My intent is to photocopy and send the ticket.If they're stupid enough to spend money tracing me [DVLA] and writing letters I'll ignore it until the court writes to me.But, at the end of the day I didn't display the ticket correctly.I suspect I won't hear from them when they run the ticket number through the computer.

You could always counter accuse them of entering your car and turning the ticket over purely to generate a fine...
SIP car parks by the way.
Its generally pretty easy to beat parking tickets from private parking outfits.

You will find a lot of help from people highly experienced in winning these at forums.pepipoo.com

I would, at the minimum, challenge the fine. You have proof of purchasing a ticket. An "Act of God" turned the ticket upside down. I've watched tv documentaries etc whereby parking fines can be challenged (read here) and if I had proof, like you, I would take it as far as possible.
willhay555

SIP car parks by the way.

I would just appeal by email, take a picture of the ticket as you will do their job easier if you send them a letter with your address on. Then ignore any letters until it's actually a court date. I cant remember if they are stick on tickets because if they are you can say the fell especially if it was a rainy day with condensation in the car..Good luck x
From experience if you can ignore the letters and there postal threats they will be very reluctant to take you to court.Even then you have a very good chance of winning your case.Do not appeal or return any letters just ignore everything.
Same happened to me and was in the footwell correct side up. I went crazy at traffic warden when I drove around and found him. It turned out he wasn't to one who issued it but did whisper they are meant to take pictures inside for this reason and without don't stand up in court. So unless they took pictures and can guarantee they didn't you have nothing to worry about, not that you would have anyway as only council officers can enforce. Just say left window open for you dog and wind caught it if you decide to answer any of their bullying letters, i wouldn't
Thanks all.

I'm planning to photocopy the threat of fine next to the valid ticket and send back without contact details, and do no more until and if I get something from the courts.
willhay555

Thanks all.I'm planning to photocopy the threat of fine next to the valid … Thanks all.I'm planning to photocopy the threat of fine next to the valid ticket and send back without contact details, and do no more until and if I get something from the courts.

Drop a turd in the envelope too, just for good measure (_;)
ignoring everything was the advice from years back. they like and can do take you to court. whether it's worth the time risk is up to you.

defo worth an appeal. photocopy of ticket and advise at bottom to provide popla if they deny. pepipoo are experts with these cowboy tickets.
Never ever pay them. The letter u get is an invoice to pay not a fine. The carpark management have no legal right over someone else's land. U can only due for damages and loss of earnings so if anything, u need to pay the quid or so to park
richje100

Never ever pay them. The letter u get is an invoice to pay not a fine. … Never ever pay them. The letter u get is an invoice to pay not a fine. The carpark management have no legal right over someone else's land. U can only due for damages and loss of earnings so if anything, u need to pay the quid or so to park

Its called a proprietary interest as they don't own any of the property its a load of fluff. DONT EVER RESPOND TO THEIR LETTERS as they stop trying after 3 goes.

Tell under article 6 of the European convention on human rights that a fine is indebtedness and no man can arbitrarily be placed in debt without a free and fair hearing which you are now demanding. It costs them 70 quid plus the wages of which ever staff they send including dude who put ticket on car. They will cancel it as its not worth the hassle.

Search "dealing with parking pcns daneil bostock" on YouTube
Edited by: "Graham1979" 18th Aug 2015
Graham1979

Its called a proprietary interest as they don't own any of the property … Its called a proprietary interest as they don't own any of the property its a load of fluff. DONT EVER RESPOND TO THEIR LETTERS as they stop trying after 3 goes.Tell under article 6 of the European convention on human rights that a fine is indebtedness and no man can arbitrarily be placed in debt without a free and fair hearing which you are now demanding. It costs them 70 quid plus the wages of which ever staff they send including dude who put ticket on car. They will cancel it as its not worth the hassle.Search "dealing with parking pcns daneil bostock" on YouTube

Really, well the Court of Appeal has recently ruled in favour of the robbing ******* bugga

Edited by moderator: "Swear filter bypass" 18th Aug 2015
They can't fine you, all as they can do is invoice you for parking there (iirc its a invoice for loss of business).
If you can prove you had a valid payment for the time they will drop the invoice.

Hell I'd heard of people just appealing without any proof or even admitting they didn't pay and still getting the invoice dropped.
Its a scare tactic hence the pay in x days for reduced amount, they bet that enough people will instantly cough up to make it worth doing.
Splodger101

Really, well the Court of Appeal has recently ruled in favour of the … Really, well the Court of Appeal has recently ruled in favour of the robbing ******** bugga

What was the verdict? It doesn't say.
Edited by moderator: "Quote edited" 18th Aug 2015
Hi op, few things wrong with your post (1) it's not a fine or ticket, it's an invoice 'inviting' you to pay. If you haven't paid then don't and don't admit who was the driver, never. (2) These companies are not legitimate, they are lying scumbags. (3) You can appeal & win, I did (and lots of others) with advice from the Martin Lewis website parking forum. Lots to read there, but helpful people. (4) Get yourself a Skoda as these have a clip in screen where to put your ticket - simple. (5) Why would you want to park in Manchester anyway? Good luck.
Stabiloman

Hi op, few things wrong with your post (1) it's not a fine or ticket, … Hi op, few things wrong with your post (1) it's not a fine or ticket, it's an invoice 'inviting' you to pay. If you haven't paid then don't and don't admit who was the driver, never. (2) These companies are not legitimate, they are lying scumbags. (3) You can appeal & win, I did (and lots of others) with advice from the Martin Lewis website parking forum. Lots to read there, but helpful people. (4) Get yourself a Skoda as these have a clip in screen where to put your ticket - simple. (5) Why would you want to park in Manchester anyway? Good luck.

Well that comment went from pretty decent to idiotic in a flash.

Buy a Skoda because they have a clip for tickets?

I also imagine that the OP wanted to park in Manchester because..... he was in Manchester and needed to park.

oO
Edited by: "RossD89" 18th Aug 2015
Splodger101

Really, well the Court of Appeal has recently ruled in favour of the … Really, well the Court of Appeal has recently ruled in favour of the robbing b'st@rds:- bugga

That's why you need to go the article 6 route of indebtedness. The bill of rights also has the same. Remember if its hassle they wont bother.

ALSO they are trying to charge the driver not the vehicle owner so they need to prove who was driving.

The appeal was upheld.. meaning Parking Eye won its case.

stuarthanley

stuarthanley

To be honest, I've never understood how a notice at the entrance to a car park can be classed as a legally binding contract.
If I put a sign up at the end of my driveway stating "any salesperson, religious nutter or menu delivering scrote entering these premises agrees to pay the owner £10 per person per visit" would that be legally enforceable?
I cannot see how a contract can ever be implied and enforced.
TBH - pay and be done with it - for £35 is it worth all teh hassle

They will have photographed teh ticket through teh windscreen - yes

but I bet there is a clause that says if you fail to display the ticket correctly then you are still liable

the law has changed for these private parking companies and they can persue you in court - if you loose tehn yuo pay the costs - much more than £35 I bet !!!

and TBH you DID fail to display the ticket correctly - sorry to say that but true.

If they do take you to court I guess it is 50/50 which way a court will rule

Live and learn !!

EliTom
elitom

TBH - pay and be done with it - for £35 is it worth all teh hassleThey … TBH - pay and be done with it - for £35 is it worth all teh hassleThey will have photographed teh ticket through teh windscreen - yesbut I bet there is a clause that says if you fail to display the ticket correctly then you are still liablethe law has changed for these private parking companies and they can persue you in court - if you loose tehn yuo pay the costs - much more than £35 I bet !!!and TBH you DID fail to display the ticket correctly - sorry to say that but true.If they do take you to court I guess it is 50/50 which way a court will ruleLive and learn !!EliTom

According to the original post its was last week so he'd have to pay ~£60 or £100 depending on when last week it was.

It is worth asking for the proof you didn't pay and display along. I'd also ask for proof of loss of business totalling to £60+.
Straight away by having a increasing bill they are admitting the lose of business is £35 or less.

This is worth a read.
Relevant section

When you are issued with a parking ticket, landowners can only claim … When you are issued with a parking ticket, landowners can only claim compensation for losses they have suffered because you parked where you shouldn’t have or stayed too long. For example, they can claim for lost income if you blocked a space someone else could have used and paid for, but only where the car park was full and there were no parking spaces left. They can also claim compensation if you stayed too long didn’t pay the right amount or didn’t pay at all.

I appealed a ticket after staying too long in a car park, I had legitimate reasons and proof.
The ticket was revoked, just make sure you ask for a copy of cancellation.

24hours seems an absurd time limit, for me that's an instant flag, they're clearly trying to rush. I recently read an article about parking tickets being upside down, I believe the law may have recently changed, so take a look. I think the tickets used to say, must be displayed correctly or some such.
But if I had a ticket/proof in my favour, there's no way I'd pay up without a fight
Good luck
Was browsing a random news site and found this
metro.co.uk/201…89/
Starts out with a chap fighting and winning against a flipped ticket like ops.
There are two sides to every arguement

Yes some of these private parking companies are operting on the shady side of the law - but they are not breaking any laws - or tehy woud be prosecuted by more than individuals

So when someone does not pay or overstays there welcome or fails to display a valid ticket correctly teh parking company do incur extra costs. If these were easily waived everyone would try it on!

When someone buys a ticket by inferenec they accept the T&Cs displayed on teh notices / pay meter. The buyer needs to read these very carefully !

And £35 seems very reasonable to recover costs for non payment - it is not just the lost parking fee at stake but teh administarion costs to recover it.

as teh ticket has the ticket number printed on teh back then an appeal may well have been vald but this should have been done within the first 24 hours by phone followed up by a letter. The number on teh back is cleary the companies protecting againt scammer trying to use the "the ticket turned over" excuse - not saying that is the case with OP BTW

at the end of the day - by buying a ticket you accept the T&Cs - woudl be interesting to see a photo of the signage in this car park.

hence my first response - pay the £35 and live and learn - if the parking company did take the OP to court it would be 50/50 if he would win IMHO - if he had challenged within teh first 24 hours and the parking co said bad luck then it may have been better.

EliTom
Ask this question on www. money supermarket parking experts. co.uk and they would help you
I'd rather pay £200.00 at the small claims court than bend over and panic pay £35.00 in the first 24hrs.

I've not disputed it was upside down, I just believe they would be mad to pursue a case when the ticket is valid, which they clearly know.

I have also accepted that it was my responsibility and that they do incur cost in writing out the invoice.

I was thinking of sending £15.00 as my assessment of their costs.

I've changed my mind, I've decided to go for the kitchen and gamble on bully's prize board.

Wish me luck.

Edited by: "willhay555" 18th Aug 2015
Good luck mate. Take it all the way. No written contract. You paid for the parking (its the payment that counts, not where you've displayed the ticket). Just keep ignoring them until court and then wave the ticket at them.
I never heard a thing
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants