Groups

Parking ticket without warning or any sign ! Please advice what to do ?

Hello all,

Here I am, having a Penalty charge notice at a place where no sign was visible.

I went to my uni for final submission of my thesis. Day before yesterday, I parked my car at the university campus in a normal bay where there was no sign on contracutal parking was visible. Yesterday, when I went to remove the car in the afternoon, I saw this notice on the driver side window. When I contacted the Unviersity security, they had a word with the parking company and were told that although, no contractual parking sign was visible where i parked the car but the car was parked there for two consecutive days and I was issued a warning on the first day and a PCN on second day. They said that there were signs all over the university and I had to pay heed to them and I have no option except to pay the fine within 14 days or it will increase which may ultimately lead to court proceedings. If I want, I can file an appeal with the same campany who issued me the PCN !

Now, I know it was not a good thing to park at the Uni Campus. But, I want to know what my options are now given that I did not find any warning notice on my window yesterday morning when I went there to leave my stuff in the boot. It could be possible that some drunk student might have taken it off the window who are rampant at night in the campus.

It seems quite strange that I have to appeal to the same company who I feel I vicitim of.

Shall I pay fine and file the appeal with the same parking company. I am sure that there wont be any benefit of appeal because the company seems too adamant to consider it when the security guy talked to them

Shall I contest it, if yes, where should I start from? Is there a official neutral body where I can send my appeal or what?

I have a request please, I am feeling down already so please spare me of any taunts or negative remarks at the moment, I will really appreciate it.

20 Comments

If the notice says you should appeal to the company that ticketed you, then that's what you have to do. There are no magic answers in these situations. Put the time in and take photographic evidence and you might get lucky. Otherwise you will have to cough up. Be prepared for them to point out signs you may not have noticed (you seem to realise that parking on campus for two days was a bad idea so I reckon you had an inkling that there were notices up).

You're better off asking here: pepipoo.com/

Original Poster

circuit;5207429

If the notice says you should appeal to the company that ticketed you, … If the notice says you should appeal to the company that ticketed you, then that's what you have to do. There are no magic answers in these situations. Put the time in and take photographic evidence and you might get lucky. Otherwise you will have to cough up. Be prepared for them to point out signs you may not have noticed (you seem to realise that parking on campus for two days was a bad idea so I reckon you had an inkling that there were notices up).

Rep added, thanks for your quick reply. I wrote that "Now" I realise that it was not a good idea. Anyway, the very idea is very strange that I have to appeal to the same company who I believe to have dealt me unfairly. Is there any other option, like if I have a problem with the banks I go to the financial ombudsman and don't file the appeal with the bank itself ?

Ignore it, they have no legal power.

They will threaten you constatly, just ignore it, they will eventually give up.

Original Poster

chester123;5207562

Ignore it, they have no legal power.They will threaten you constatly, … Ignore it, they have no legal power.They will threaten you constatly, just ignore it, they will eventually give up.

Are you sure it will be wise to do so, because I have already talked to the security and they know that I really parked there and I did receive PCN. Could it be a problem if they go to the court . The notice says if I fail to pay £60 within 14 days, it will be increased to £85. In the event of nonpayment of £85 within seven days , the charge increases to £135 plus any extra legal fees etc.

I read about a case on another forum where the court made the driver to pay thousands of pounds.
    sundaymail.co.uk/new…09/

You do have to appeal to whoever issued the parking notice to you, as they have the details of what parking offence you are alleged to have commited.

It is worth appealing as you may get lucky.
    You will have to give them a good reason for parking there and also point out the lack of warning signs.

I appealed one in similar circumstances. I took a photo of the road showing there was no sign within sight and emailed it with my appeal letter. I got a automated response saying my application had been received and would get a response within 10 working days or whatever it is. That was nearly two months ago and I've heard nothing since... :thinking:

If it is from the council then yes you have to appeal but I read that it came from a private firm employed by your university.

Go to - pepipoo.com/

Original Poster

Liddle ol' me;5207701

I appealed one in similar circumstances. I took a photo of the road … I appealed one in similar circumstances. I took a photo of the road showing there was no sign within sight and emailed it with my appeal letter. I got a automated response saying my application had been received and would get a response within 10 working days or whatever it is. That was nearly two months ago and I've heard nothing since... :thinking:

Thanks rep added. Did you pay the fine, the notice asks to pay the fine within 14 days and apparently there is no phone number except the one which is inteded for making the payment where they cant answer my querieds regarding charges or appeals.

Definitely post at forums.pepipoo.com as they have a lot of expertise dealing with parking tickets - if it is a Private Parking Company (PPC) rather the council then they can't issue a PCN, all they can do is request payment from you but that's it. PPC's may offer an appeal process on their invoices however in pretty much all cases this is just for show as they'll decline all appeals.

John

pied_piper;5207725

Thanks rep added. Did you pay the fine, the notice asks to pay the fine … Thanks rep added. Did you pay the fine, the notice asks to pay the fine within 14 days and apparently there is no phone number except the one which is inteded for making the payment where they cant answer my querieds regarding charges or appeals.

No, I didn't pay the fine. I phoned them in advance and had it confirmed that my appeal would essentially suspend the fine until they responded, after which there would still be a grace period to pay the lower fee if they rejected my appeal. :thumbsup:

The other complicating factor you have overlooked is that many universities will withhold your award if you still owe them any money (this may include parking fines)

gari189;5207856

The other complicating factor you have overlooked is that many … The other complicating factor you have overlooked is that many universities will withhold your award if you still owe them any money (this may include parking fines)

Ah.... OP, I didn't read anything other than your heading. My case was on a public road, not a university. It was a max 3 hours parking area with the closest sign being about 250m away and around a bend, so out of sight.

Original Poster

gari189;5207856

The other complicating factor you have overlooked is that many … The other complicating factor you have overlooked is that many universities will withhold your award if you still owe them any money (this may include parking fines)

:oops:

Original Poster

I have found this company on the internet, roadsidelawyer.co.uk/par…ing. Anybody knows if it is any good, I will prefer to pay these lawyers £25 and not to pay a single penny to the rip-off parking company.

pied_piper;5207913

I have found this company on the internet, … I have found this company on the internet, http://www.roadsidelawyer.co.uk/parking. Anybody knows if it is any good, I will prefer to pay these lawyers £25 and not to pay a single penny to the rip-off parking company.

Don't pay anything!!! Ask over at Peripoo first. My first thought is that if there's no signs then you wouldn't need to pay (unless it was on double yellow lines).

Original Poster

chester123;5207938

As advised go to: -http://forums.pepipoo.com.

ok boss here I go but I will keep looking back for HUKD family's advice

I had this problem at the university I went to, you'd come out and they'd have a sticker on your window demanding payment. Personally I just ignored them and nothing happened. If I was you I'd simply ignore it.

Original Poster

civms47;5208423

I had this problem at the university I went to, you'd come out and they'd … I had this problem at the university I went to, you'd come out and they'd have a sticker on your window demanding payment. Personally I just ignored them and nothing happened. If I was you I'd simply ignore it.

Thats what I really wana do :x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1217
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News45
      3. PlayStation Hacked Again?33
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?33193

See more discussions