Part 1: Designing something for the good.

Good evening,

If people may have a spare moment or two..
Im doing a project on designing and creating something electronics based in uni atm, last year was pretty simple for the students in that they were refined to design some sort of charger.

This year the topic was simply "something for the good" which could mean anything really (little too vague imo).
Currently Im going down the theme of electronics in cars, googling few things random things and see what I can branch off to..

Researching atm:
~ Voltage stabilisers for cars, noticeable benefits etc.. see what can be improved on etc...
~ Braking = power rejuvenation thing they have on prius's etc cars, may spark my head for some ideas
~ Electronic safety on vehicles... Yes this will be PRETTY hard to prototype in the time frame, but may bring some simple ideas in

Does anyone have any dying suggestions they would like to see happen in the near future? any problems they would like to see solved in life? (electronics based). can be anything really.. theme based or specific problems, anything really, doesnt need to be based on vehicles..

Bare in mind this is module simply an exercise of design processes, partly building and learning about degradation of electronics etc. In the end I should have a working prototype so problems would need to be realistic to solve.. (no spaceships unfortunately),

I dont think this is considered as "having the upper hand" because at the end of the day.. Im simply asking my target market group..! lol

Thanks for reading! Sorry if its a bore to some, apologies...

11 Comments

Something that could help my windscreen clear of ice faster than heaters/scraper in the morning (don't know how electronics baded that'd be thio)...

Original Poster

civms47;7874206

Something that could help my windscreen clear of ice faster than … Something that could help my windscreen clear of ice faster than heaters/scraper in the morning (don't know how electronics baded that'd be thio)...

Rain-X? really good in the rain, would assume it would have same affect for ice.

a gadget to inform parents if the car seat belts are not at the correct tightness for the child sitting in it.

a cheap gadget that effectively turns the socket off when you forget to, so items arent on standby constantly(anf therefore using leccy)?dont even know if this is possible...

For cars, i leave the house at 8.05 every day. I would like my car's heated windscreen to automatically come on every morning at 8.am until i come out, or for 10 mins and then switch off (if for example i dont come out it doesn't drain the battery).

Something for the greater good.. i dunno

Braking = power rejuvenation thing they have on prius's etc cars, may … Braking = power rejuvenation thing they have on prius's etc cars, may spark my head for some ideas

KERS (kinetic energy recovery system)

like in f1

I guess if you could have a storage seperate from the battery etc for emergencies or for little things like what tichimp said it could be useful

128plant;7874521

a gadget to inform parents if the car seat belts are not at the correct … a gadget to inform parents if the car seat belts are not at the correct tightness for the child sitting in it.

Sorry - but some cars has this already built in now. Also has sensors to tell the driver if the car doors are closed properly

Banned

shaneomac;7874802

a cheap gadget that effectively turns the socket off when you forget to, … a cheap gadget that effectively turns the socket off when you forget to, so items arent on standby constantly(anf therefore using leccy)?dont even know if this is possible...

you can get a gadget that does this on pc`s , eon were giving them away free last year .:)

Does it have to be automotive based?

If not, here are a couple of ideas:

Something like a inductive clamp-meter that is specifically designed to show people there electricity usage - something that simply snaps over a mains cable (or even the main AC cable to a house) without needing any alteration.

An attachment for phones/mp3 players to allow people with hearing-aids to hear the call etc.

An embedded lighting system on cycle-helmets or other components (ie front lights and batteries within handlebars, rear lights and batteries within seat-post); this one relatively simple to prototype and is quite a realistic project imo.

Original Poster

jah128;7877116

Does it have to be automotive based? Nah doesnt need to be automotive … Does it have to be automotive based? Nah doesnt need to be automotive :)Something like a inductive clamp-meter that is specifically designed to show people there electricity usage - something that simply snaps over a mains cable (or even the main AC cable to a house) without needing any alteration.

RE - clamp meter, isnt there something like that already? cost £30+, checks on how much watt's your using at current etc.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! will take it into consideration.

Just an update, at current we're researching idea's on Car/laptop battery voltage checker, in a sense of "are they dead, do you require a new one?". The other is charging laptop via solar power/kinetic energy. Unfortunately these idea's aren't so strong on the "greater good" or "for the good" themed topic :oops:

I'll look into the problems suggested in the above, feel free to keep posting :thumbsup:

Banned

I would like an alarm on my fridge to say when it has been left open :oops:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam23
    2. Sad news about Barcelona2077
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764100
    4. How dangerous is Donald trump?911

See more discussions