Part exchange old for new car, what about insurance?

Found 6th Nov 2017
Hello guys and girls, I wonder if anyone can help. I have a car insurance policy that expires in 3 weeks. I would have 5 years NCD if i leave it running til then. MY dilemma is I will be part exchanging my old motor for a new one. If I cancel old cover and buy new one it would go back to 4 years ncd as the year hadn't ended right? Also, how can I stay insured for the exact time of transferring my old vehicle and getting into my new vehicle within the same day? Is this possible? I do get a weeks free insurance with the new vehicle. Whats the best way to do this? I would like to get my 5 years ncd if possible without breaking any laws. Anyone with ideas of where I start? Thankyou.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
transfer the existing policy to the new car. they'll charge a small amendment fee
As above, plus how much difference does the years ncd make in comparison to the outstanding premiums? If you are changing insurers (don't be tempted by the weeks free insurance alone. Contact your present insurer and tell them you've been offered 'X' by the new insurer, they will almost definitely beat it) and negotiate.
just get the new car, call the insurance tell them you have done so. they will ask you for the new reg number and tell you how much extra it will cost. nothing simpler than that
Edited by: "mattsk" 6th Nov 2017
Thankyou guys for the replies. One thing about transferring the insurance over. I will be driving the old car out to collect the new car. So technically i need the old one to be valid at time of driving out on the same day that i collect new car and for it to transfer over once i pick up new car? Tell me im over thinking and complicating this? Im sure people do this alot and its normal.
ohmygod200626 m ago

Thankyou guys for the replies. One thing about transferring the insurance …Thankyou guys for the replies. One thing about transferring the insurance over. I will be driving the old car out to collect the new car. So technically i need the old one to be valid at time of driving out on the same day that i collect new car and for it to transfer over once i pick up new car? Tell me im over thinking and complicating this? Im sure people do this alot and its normal.

Explain this to your insurance company. They will add your new vehicle to your policy and also keep the old vehicle on for a short period of time to keep you covered
Yeah just speak to your insurance company... also ask if they can waiver any adjustment fees
Asked my insurer the same question a few weeks back, they said 'you are insured on the old vehicle up to the moment you exchange the bike(in this case) at the dealer, after which the new bike will be on cover'. You should still check with your actual insurer.
123batman3212 h, 51 m ago

Explain this to your insurance company. They will add your new vehicle to …Explain this to your insurance company. They will add your new vehicle to your policy and also keep the old vehicle on for a short period of time to keep you covered

Thankyou everyone. So I take it, i can extend it for one month. Then renew once its past the few weeks needed for that extra year of ncd /ncb . Just let them know before hand right? Thankyou.
ohmygod20063 h, 30 m ago

Thankyou guys for the replies. One thing about transferring the insurance …Thankyou guys for the replies. One thing about transferring the insurance over. I will be driving the old car out to collect the new car. So technically i need the old one to be valid at time of driving out on the same day that i collect new car and for it to transfer over once i pick up new car? Tell me im over thinking and complicating this? Im sure people do this alot and its normal.

Have done this twice before when purchasing a new car, tell them the day you are collecting the new car and for that day they will start the cover for the new car and expire the old car at midnight, so basically both cars are covered all day for the date you give of transferring to new car. That is the way direct line use to do it for me. The other way is to just check on a comparison Website if there is going to be much difference between having 4 and 5 years no claims. You could find switching to a new insurer with just 4 yeas is still cheaper than sticking with your own at 5 years, especially since they may charge you about £40 just to amend your policy. The best way is to ring them and see what they will charge you and ask them for a quote for your next year's insurance based on 5 years no claims, and before agreein go online and see if you can get a better deal. The other option is to take the hit with the administration charge to swop vehicle for 3 weeks, let's say it is about £30 and then a week before your policy expires start shopping round with your 5 year no claims, you will be able to start with a new insurer the day your old one expires and they should allow you several days after the policy has started to provide proof of your 5 years no claims. Hope this all makes sense.
Three options -

for the sake of 3 weeks vs 5 yrs NCD kept it running.

If your staying with the same Insurer, changer over to your new vechile but ask the Insurance Co to do a Temp cover on your old car for a few weeks.

If you can get a better deal with another Insurance Co, keep your old Policy running for your old car and tell the New Insurance Co you will have 5 yrs NCD on your other Policy which expires in 3 weeks time and you are keeping that runningb till it expires, that shoukd get you 5 yrs NCD on your new Policy.

If any of your old or New Insurance Co' will not play ball, tell them your off elsewhere.
Most car dealers will give you 7 days insurance for the new car for free. This covers you for drive away but be aware the excess is usually very big. I have done this for my last couple of cars and just used it to drive the new car home on before phoning up my existing company to adjust the details.
zirk1 h, 19 m ago

Three options - for the sake of 3 weeks vs 5 yrs NCD kept it running.If …Three options - for the sake of 3 weeks vs 5 yrs NCD kept it running.If your staying with the same Insurer, changer over to your new vechile but ask the Insurance Co to do a Temp cover on your old car for a few weeks.If you can get a better deal with another Insurance Co, keep your old Policy running for your old car and tell the New Insurance Co you will have 5 yrs NCD on your other Policy which expires in 3 weeks time and you are keeping that runningb till it expires, that shoukd get you 5 yrs NCD on your new Policy.If any of your old or New Insurance Co' will not play ball, tell them your off elsewhere.

Hey. Some brilliant information from you guys. Is it possible to keep it running even if the vehicle is no longer mine? It will be at a showroom, but obviously they need to do the usual stuff that showrooms do to the vehicle before they sell it. And if i use the temp cover for a week is that possible to have double insurance? Thnkyou .
ohmygod20062 h, 46 m ago

Hey. Some brilliant information from you guys. Is it possible to keep it …Hey. Some brilliant information from you guys. Is it possible to keep it running even if the vehicle is no longer mine? It will be at a showroom, but obviously they need to do the usual stuff that showrooms do to the vehicle before they sell it. And if i use the temp cover for a week is that possible to have double insurance? Thnkyou .

Yep, but if you sell it to some dodgy person who doesnt insure it then goes out and kills someone, then they may can back to you as the Insurer, unlikely though if your doing a part ex or selling to a Garage, in this senario cars get double insured short term all the time.
Hey guys/girls, so to give you guys an update. I tried to amend the details online and they asked me to call them. They said £5 extra to cover the new car for the remainder of the year. I can drive the old car to part exchange as long as I don't drive the new car then go back to driving the old one. I decided not to take the free insurance. They then put me through to the renewal dept and got a discount on my renewal also. So I was probably over thinking it too much. Cheers people
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants