22 replies
Found 11th Jun 2011
Hi, having my bike serviced and I'm sourcing the parts. So far I have;

- Oil filter
- Oil
- Brake pads
- Spark plug
- Ignition coil

And thats it, have I missed anything? Cheers.

22 Comments

Brake fluid ?

New brake disc's ? what condition they in ?

Air Filter ?

Original Poster

Oh yeah got brake fluid. Brake discs are alright I believe. The air filter is just a piece of foam that can apparantly be cleaned?

Original Poster

I don't know, he just said its good to change it? lol. I couldn't remember the other things he listed and the place is closed for the weekend thats all.

Have you thought about doing the service yourself? For my motorbike (Yamaha YZF R125) to change the oil + filter it requires the following tools:

Screwdriver
4mm allen key
8mm socket
Ratchet
22mm socket

It takes all of 20 minutes to do, 15 of which are carefully removing fairings and putting them in a safe place.

You can easily get service manuals for free with step by step guides on the internet.

Original Poster

I can't find a service manual anywhere (1992 kawasaki zzr250). And this is a family friend who is doing it for me on the cheap.

Original Poster

How so? The coil cost me £15 including postage, calm down! And all I'm paying is £40 for the full thing as apposed to £40 per hour.

might need a new spark plug connector aswell if your changing sparkplug,maybe worth getting new sealed battery if problems turning over and get the castrol oil as the halfords one is junk

Should of got a burgman 400 anyway can only blame yourself for buying such tat

Original Poster

Mate...scooters look absolutely terrible with whatever engine you have! I'd be embarrased to be seen on one of them over 50's bikes!

P.S how can a bike that is 19 years old be tat?! You'll be lucky if your burgman even reaches 10!
Edited by: "Pauladin91" 11th Jun 2011

Original Poster

That scoot was only launched in 1999, by this time my bike was 8 years old! Surely what defines a good bike is reliability? Mines seen 19 years, 41,000 miles and still going strong. Anyway its a scooter and looks dreadful. As for not getting another bike, my license is restricted for 2 years to 33bhp as I'm young and could only do my test on a 125, didn't want to go through the hassle of restricting one, would of been more money too.

As for being able to service, you're just being an old snob. I'm pretty sure doing a service wasn't on my motorbike test? Questions on doing checks was yeah and I can do them fine.

Pauladin91

That scoot was only launched in 1999, by this time my bike was 8 years … That scoot was only launched in 1999, by this time my bike was 8 years old! Surely what defines a good bike is reliability? Mines seen 19 years, 41,000 miles and still going strong. Anyway its a scooter and looks dreadful. As for not getting another bike, my license is restricted for 2 years to 33bhp as I'm young and could only do my test on a 125, didn't want to go through the hassle of restricting one, would of been more money too. You clearly dont know alot about what bikes are good,a well maintained burgman will outlive yours,my 34 year old honda is still going strong and sounds alot better than any newer machine,and i've seen one live upto 70k on the clock Thing is with old bikes,sooner or later you will get your hands dirty,generally allways something that needs doing,rusty tank,spark plugs,cleaning carb more than newer bikes very often the caseand a burgman is 32bph so within the allowed amount on m1 licensecbr 250rr not bad,very high rpm's for engine sizeAs for being able to service, you're just being an old snob. I'm pretty sure doing a service wasn't on my motorbike test? Questions on doing checks was yeah and I can do them fine.

Edited by: "JACKIT99" 11th Jun 2011

Original Poster

dga

Sigh. You should have been taught to ride, not to pass your test. Take … Sigh. You should have been taught to ride, not to pass your test. Take some time to read up on servicing that death trap under your bottom before you end up in trouble, ignorance is the end of a lot of bikers. Yea, I'm old because I've been commuting daily with track days and holidays for 13 years. I, like you, was restricted when I passed aged 19 and I had a heap of crap (Z400 then ZZR-1100 once unrestricted). Do the math. Educate yourself before you become a donor. If your attitude reflects your riding (and it usually does) then I hope you are a lucky person. If I didn't have my leg in a cage then I'd happily take the hero blogs off your bike, fanny lines off your tyres and 1/2" of your sliders. Now that was due to an OLD SNOB to posh to look right. Wake up, become a biker before you become a statistic and read Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2 for starters. Sheesh, kids these days!Edit: Sorry, but a ZZR250 is tat and a Burgman will last just as long...and leave you in it mirrors whilst the rider and pillion eat sandwiches! Come on, everyone thinks their first bikes are "boss!" they shouldn't be, you'll inevitably drop it after stalling in a hatched box junction or at the local petrol station. That's life, you'll learn.

What are you even talking about mate? What has a mechanic servicing my bike got to do with it killing me?! You have no idea how I ride, all i asked was about parts and now my bikes a death trap! Before this I had a honda CG125 for 2 years so its not my first bike. Alike with this, it was also very old with very high milage but it never once let me down! As for the zzr being a death trap, can I ask why? I've never once dropped any of the two bikes nor stalled my zzr...Honestly mate, you are an old snob, for a young guy like me with not much money, it was a good buy. I think you need to step down off your high horse.

Original Poster

So its an old bike?! Do you buy everything brand new? Do people who buy cars need to take up a course in mechanics to drive it? Ummm no!

Original Poster

dga

Sorry to bore you WTP, I'm on a soap box 'cause some idiot took me out … Sorry to bore you WTP, I'm on a soap box 'cause some idiot took me out two months ago and I've not long been told I'm keeping my leg. Yep, all heaps of crap so I'm used to servicing bikes myself.

Sorry to hear about that though, not nice to hear. What happened?

Edit: just seen the above, where did the car come from? write the bike off?

Original Poster

dga

Never had a new bike, they all need looking after though. If you want a … Never had a new bike, they all need looking after though. If you want a service manual, I'll PM one to you, just ask.

I know they do mate, so thats why im having it serviced but its not something I would feel comfortable doing tbh. I don't think you'll find a manual for this, looked all over.

Pauladin - why dont you ask your mechanic if he needs an assisntant whilst doing your bike or ask him to supervise you....

Its a great skill to learn, I was a mechanic novice when i first started my job, now i do all the servicing and repairs on all manner of quads. Its things that i have then taken to other level's working on my own cars aswell.

Also as people have said if you start to learn more about the mechanics of things you can learn how to tinker more and diagnose problems which will help in the future.

Ouch - At least you are alive mate, that looks like it should of been a lot worse.

Original Poster

Ouch dga, what happened to you though? Looks serious!

Ahhh thanks alot wtp, will have a read, cheers.

Banned

He he, not my thread!

Lost 2 inches of tibia, crush injury to lower leg and foot. His bonnet didn't fold like his wing did, it cut my quads in two. Had lower leg rebuild with muscle transplants from my shoulder/back and the whole leg skin grafted from hip to foot. Will be in an Ilizarov frame to "stretch" the missing 2 inches back.

Going to be a heluva claim! Other party and insurance company claimed 100% liability within two weeks when presented with the police evidence. Off work for 18 months minimum.

Pauladin91, try [url=forums.ninja250.org]this forum[/url] for bike specific advice. It's a US site but the bikes are pretty much 99% the same.

Original Poster

Ahh sorry to hear, hope you recover, will you be able to walk again anytime soon?! I think its just pot luck, depends which idiot is around you at the time. Thanks for link. Why is the zzr250 tat though mate? Have you owned one. Cheers.

dga

Well a stand corrected, speeding must be fine as long as you are too. I … Well a stand corrected, speeding must be fine as long as you are too. I learned my lesson soon and saved it for the track. So how did your faultless accidents occur?

Its not considered speeding on the Isle of Man, he missed that bit out!

Edited by: "dh058977" 11th Jun 2011

Original Poster

edit:found my answer.
Edited by: "Pauladin91" 14th Jun 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…69
    2. Assassin's Creed Origins deals?11
    3. Has anyone truly cut the cord with their landline and gone to a 4G connecti…22
    4. I’m in dire need of a dash cam with remote viewing capability over 4G813

See more discussions