Pass or fail MOT?

Found 27th Jul 2011
Ok pretty much just need to know if my car will pass or fail an MOT and how much it will cost to fix the issues as it has been declared a Cat C write off. The issues with the car are as follows:
1. Front drivers side light is slightly loose can be moved back and forward about 1CM when good force is applied. Checked the other side and it does not move at all. The light is still bolted and works fine but it can move when pressure is applied but as pressure will not be applied i dont see how this could affect the MOT.

2. Bumper is slightly scratched on one side. Not really an issue at all and i cant see it failing.

3. Steering is slightly off i know this will need fixing does anybody know how much this might be? The car is a 2002 Fiat Punto.

4. Clutch is a bit worn this is not so much to do with the MOT but i love the clutch in my courtesy car so want to get mine fixed back up.

5. Exhaust sounds horrific so does anybody know how much i could get a full new exhaust and how much it would cost to get it fitted.

They are the only problems with the car i think the lights and bumper are passable on MOT as is the clutch but i would want the clutch fixed anyway. As for the exhaust and steering i believe these will cause me to fail but i am hoping the costs are not too bad.

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.

Also if anybody is in the derby area does anybody know of where they are a bit more relaxed on MOT as i know some places are really bad and will pick on the smallest little things.
Community Updates
MiscMOT
23 Comments
1-u should be able to do yourself, or get a bloke to have a look, prib just needs tightening
2-wont fail
3-i just got my 52 plate fiat tracking and balancing done today, cost me 30quid but, only 2 wheels needing doin
4-wont fail
5-if you go to scrap yard, you could pick up a full new exhaust for about 40quid and get someone u know to fit it, if u do it through a garage ur looking at abot 150quid supplied and fitted, depending on were the hole is, a bit of sealant could do it (about £2) if its on the join, it might just need tightening)

hope i helped
AATS

1-u should be able to do yourself, or get a bloke to have a look, prib … 1-u should be able to do yourself, or get a bloke to have a look, prib just needs tightening2-wont fail3-i just got my 52 plate fiat tracking and balancing done today, cost me 30quid but, only 2 wheels needing doin4-wont fail5-if you go to scrap yard, you could pick up a full new exhaust for about 40quid and get someone u know to fit it, if u do it through a garage ur looking at abot 150quid supplied and fitted, depending on were the hole is, a bit of sealant could do it (about £2) if its on the join, it might just need tightening)hope i helped

not all entirely true......the steering could be off for loads or reasons,bent steering rack,worn bushes,worn wheel bearings,all of which are mot fails and they will check these

Edited by: "stephen25uk" 27th Jul 2011
Could be worse, could be French
I would fail it.
F ix
I t
A gain
T ommorow
Thought it needed to go to VOSA to be declared fit for the road? After a cat C
I could fix it for £254.36, but it won't be ready till next Tuesday
cis_groupie

I could fix it for £254.36, but it won't be ready till next Tuesday

What would this be fixing and could you give me a breakdown of costs?
1. Possibly fail because the alignment, They will normally adjust it but if it moves it'll keep going out of alignment, Up to the MOT tester. Best to make it secure first. May be tighten or improvise so it's secure and doesn't move, Get them aligned rather than relying on the goodwill of the tester, £5-10 or D-I-Y.

2. Should be fine unless jagged edges etc..

3. As "stephen25uk" said, However could just be tracking in which case it wouldn't fail. Jack car up, Take wheel off, Inspect bushes, Suspension, Wishbone ect..Get tracking checked, Usually free to check and £15-£20 to correct.

4. Clutch wouldn't fail it, I'd consider having it adjusted if possible rather than replace as it's quite expensive, Every car's clutch feels different and even having a brand new one may not give you the desired effect, A bad gearbox or selector could make the change of gear less than satisfying, Unless it's just the bite point etc..

5. A blowing exhaust would cause it to fail, Check for it blowing, Look for smoke and/or vapour escaping, If it's just pin hole you could just bang some gungum on.

Would help if we knew the age of car, If it's a decade old all of that would probably be false economy.

6. Get rid. It's a Fiat..!!!
Edited by: ".MUFC." 27th Jul 2011
Lol, if it's been declared a Cat C I'm assuming it's had quite a smash ??

Your chassis could be twisted & there could be no end to the dangers of keeping that on the road. Your not currently driving it are you ?

After a cat c insurance write off you need to get it fixed & checked out by VOSA before you can get an MOT
Had a clutch done on a 2001 Fiat Punto. Cost me £210 incl VAT for a new one. Old one was completely gone. Was done at a local garage.
ChrisUK

Lol, if it's been declared a Cat C I'm assuming it's had quite a smash ?? … Lol, if it's been declared a Cat C I'm assuming it's had quite a smash ?? Your chassis could be twisted & there could be no end to the dangers of keeping that on the road. Your not currently driving it are you ?After a cat c insurance write off you need to get it fixed & checked out by VOSA before you can get an MOT

No it was not that bad actually the damages i described are all that is wrong with the car and really its only a small scratch on the bumper and the light is only slightly dislodged im not sure why its a Cat C i was expecting Cat D the insurance company never said anything about having to send it to be VOSA certified but isnt that just an MOT anyway?
Scrap it, it ain't worth spending good money on.
Inactive

Scrap it, it ain't worth spending good money on.

Its only costing £135 to buy back and im getting £1500 for it being written off. so if its not much to repair im happy to keep it and run it into the ground.
To get it perfect I would allow for £400 repairs. Clutch is going to be up to £300 fitted.

The scratch is nothing, steering needs to be checked by a competent mechanic and tracking etc is usually about £30 as said above.

You will be surprised what they fail you for!! You could just have the MOT done and they will tell you what needs doing, you can do a re test within a certain amount of time which will cost a lot less than a new MOT.
If it is Cat C it is far more serious than you think, if it was trivial, it would have been Cat D.

Cat C needs a VOSA Certificate before it can be put back on the road.

Scrap it.
Got a yard near us that will buy second hand cars for £100 you should have left it. You're flogging money at a dead horse. Its a fiat and naturally ****
Edited by: "lumoruk" 28th Jul 2011
Category C - Repairable salvage. Usually applies to vehicles with significant (structural) damage, where cost of repairs exceeds book value. Can be sold complete to Trade or Public. Recorded as "Category C" at DVLA. Category C vehicles' V5 documents are returned to DVLA. You re-apply, to DVLA or at your local VRO, for registration on the original identity once you have fixed it up, MOTed it and want to Tax it. Re-registration removes the Category C classification, but evidence it was at one time Category C remains on the vehicle's record at DVLA (and HPI and AA and the others).

How a VIC marker is set

Insurers should notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of all cars ‘written off’ within salvage categories A, B or C. This notification will set a ‘VIC marker’ against the DVLA vehicle record. While a VIC marker remains set, DVLA won’t issue a registration certificate V5C, or vehicle licence reminder V11.

The VIC marker will only be removed when the car passes a VIC.
Checking a vehicle’s identity

The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) carries out the VIC. It’s designed to confirm the car’s identity and help ensure that the genuine car is returned to the road.

The VIC takes around 20 minutes to complete and involves comparing the details on the DVLA vehicle record against the car presented. The VIC is a check of identity, it doesn’t look at the quality of the repair or confirm roadworthiness. If you have any concerns regarding these aspects, you should seek the opinion of an independent expert.

Once a car has passed a VIC, the V5C issued will be annotated to show ‘substantially repaired and/or accident damaged; identity checked on dd/mm/ccyy’.
Confirming if a VIC marker is set

You can check if a VIC marker is set, by making a vehicle enquiry through the Vehicle Enquiry section of DVLA's vehicle online services. To make your enquiry you’ll need to know the vehicle registration mark and vehicle make.
nemean

No it was not that bad actually the damages i described are all that is … No it was not that bad actually the damages i described are all that is wrong with the car and really its only a small scratch on the bumper and the light is only slightly dislodged im not sure why its a Cat C i was expecting Cat D the insurance company never said anything about having to send it to be VOSA certified but isnt that just an MOT anyway?

Insurance company thankfully don't make the rules, ring the VOSA.
Tbh, I'd just get a new car. Doesn't sound like that one is worth the parts to fix it...
DragonChris

Tbh, I'd just get a new car. Doesn't sound like that one is worth the … Tbh, I'd just get a new car. Doesn't sound like that one is worth the parts to fix it...

+1

anyway, I think the op knows all about the VOSA

hotukdeals.com/mis…969
FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow.

Exhaust is most likely thing to fail. Hard to say how much that will cost cos it varies a lot.

The light maybe out of alignment and so could fail but most MOT testers I have used just re-align it for you.

Clutch as long as it works shouldn't fail an MOT and the bumper is fine as long as it is still fixed on and no sharp edges.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions