Pass through powerline with WiFi suitable for Virgin media (350mb package)

Posted 14th Apr
So the WiFi in my house sucks. Always has done, I swear it's lead lined however Vifgins home hub isn't helping.
We already have a home plug from way back when we were with talk talk but now we're on the 350mb package it's no longer serving its purpose.
So, I need a powerline that's go a socket - essential. And does wifi - also essential. It doesn't have to do all the way up to 350mb if it's gonna cost a fortune. Ideally I don't want to sell a kidney in general.
I understand you can get these directly from Virgin Media but I'd rather a decent one (unless theirs is?)
Many thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Just thought actually. The pass through might not be essential, may be a spare plug in my daughters room. So give me suggestions for both please.
Or, from what I've seen a better router and put the hub in modem mode. Give me recommendations on that.
Just for reference we have a couple of devices connected via ethernet but most are wireless. And we use a lot of data too as we all play online (4 of us). Some just minecraft but others use more data heavy games.
Or mesh. I'm so confused.
Having struggled on with various powerline adapters I eventually invested in a Tenda Mesh system, best thing I did to get a decent signal through the flat.
Problem I found with the powerline was that our wiring was pretty rubbish and it lost some of the signal going through and as long as there was slight signal anything mobile would hang onto it and I would have to manually select the better signal.
We only have 70Mb so I bought the Tenda MW3 and I think they are great - but they won't be fast enough for you with 350mb
Virgin will send out free power lines if you're signal isn't good,worth a try getting them and giving them a go first
Search for Netgear, Asus or TP-Link on amazon plenty of what you want.

They all do a good job with dead spots.
Other options are run ethernet to weakest point of signal and put a cheap router in as an access point
I know where you're coming from. I live in a house of many extensions with brickwork made from waste from the nearby steelworks = rubbish wiring and nuclear bunker grade walls. I had a confusing mix of wi-fi extenders each with an individual password that kept dropping out and never really worked. I went for a BT whole home system - ordered 2 disks originally but have another on order for overkill so I can get wi-fi into the garden(Didn't really need it but there was a deal on HDUK you see!!).Don't know about your 350mb as we're quite a bit off that but I can say that I am really pleased with the result. No dead spots and house wide as quick as right next to the router. Recon deals on HDUK make this an attractive proposition. I'm no tecchie in the slightest - Don't know the finer points but all I can say is that it worked for me
I’ve had the same issue with Virgin. We’ve ended up running the router in modem mode and we’ve got a mesh system in place, the Linksys Velop (AC6600). We’ve got a 5 bedroom new build house (so thin walls ) and two of the mesh nodes is plenty. You may need a third if your house is bigger or have thicker walls, but supposedly adding more nodes reduces the internet speed. This solution seems to have been working fine for the past year or so without any issues and would definitely recommend it.
Hmmm mesh does seem to be a better idea I think. The wiring is quite old and we have solid brick walls. Although my bedroom is right on top of the router, bed is opposite side of the room and the signal is terrible, often dropping off. And that's just wooden flooring!
Is the virgin one any good @Sc4mp0 ? I need to contact them as they have screwed my bill up so might chance it with them as up to now their app has offered me one for £3 a month. Ideally I'd like my own but free is free if it works!
Beki10058814/04/2020 09:18

Hmmm mesh does seem to be a better idea I think. The wiring is quite old …Hmmm mesh does seem to be a better idea I think. The wiring is quite old and we have solid brick walls. Although my bedroom is right on top of the router, bed is opposite side of the room and the signal is terrible, often dropping off. And that's just wooden flooring!Is the virgin one any good @Sc4mp0 ? I need to contact them as they have screwed my bill up so might chance it with them as up to now their app has offered me one for £3 a month. Ideally I'd like my own but free is free if it works!

I'll be honest they aren't the best but I don't know if that's due to the wiring we have or the adapters themselves.

However,for what I needed them which was to extend WiFi coverage and also plug in a TV they did work.

Didn't get amazing speeds but coverage was better and Netflix etc worked ok on the TV whereas before it did lag quite a bit.

Worth a try for free though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions